Round 3: Poortugal Race thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago I must confess Schumacher has exceeded my expectations. The difference between him and Mazepin is light years. He is gracious and has an awareness his teamate doesnt. He also is courteous to other drivers in blue flag situations, accepting it is not right for him to interfere with faster car battles even at the expense of his own.
Yea, I was pretty dismissive of him also. he is starting to change my mind.

I actually thought he was too courteous, losing 3 seconds by getting out of the way.
At this stage of his career / in the car he has, he is not fighting for points.... but he is earning respect.
Something Mazepin is losing what little he might have had more than gaining any. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago I must confess Schumacher has exceeded my expectations. The difference between him and Mazepin is light years. He is gracious and has an awareness his teamate doesnt. He also is courteous to other drivers in blue flag situations, accepting it is not right for him to interfere with faster car battles even at the expense of his own.
Yea, I was pretty dismissive of him also. he is starting to change my mind.

I actually thought he was too courteous, losing 3 seconds by getting out of the way.
At this stage of his career / in the car he has, he is not fighting for points.... but he is earning respect.
Something Mazepin is losing what little he might have had more than gaining any. :wink:
Mazepin doesn't need respect. He has money.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago At this stage of his career / in the car he has, he is not fighting for points.... but he is earning respect.
Mazepin doesn't need respect. He has money.
And the entire Russian Army if anyone tries to say different.
In modern Russia, Mazepin spins YOU!!
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Bad day for the Schumacher haters like
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

He's certainly light years ahead of Mazespin. And Russell is certainly light years ahead of Latifi.

But hard to tell ultimate pace. Clearly Williams weren't very competitive here, and Latifi made a mistake to let him by.

In any case, a solid race for him. Didn't put a foot wrong that we saw.

He's made mistakes this season, and that's fine for a rookie. But he's not making mistake after mistake, while being slow as a snail. Hint hint.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Well, not the greatest of races, but interesting for the developing narrative.

1. Hamilton: I don't know who won the driver of the race, but it should probably be this guy. He is relentlessly fast. Made one mistake which let Verstappen pass, then Verstappen made one mistake which let him pass. It was a very nice pass by Hamilton.
It is not a bad matchup if this continues for a season-long battle. I do think the Mercedes had the edge on medium tires at this track. Will that be the case at the next track (Barcelona)?

2. Verstappen: Ran a good race. His stealing the march of Hamilton on the restart was good.

3. Bottas: Never really quite there for very long. I am amazed that he gets his contract renewed for one year year-after-year.

4. Perez: He can make tires last.

Observation: Experienced teammates over new teammates 5-1 for this day. This mismatch has been a pretty consistent for the first three races of the season. Only Vettel managed to beat his teammate this weekend (which is not saying that much, and it was not by much).

Alpine: I was surprised at how out of it they were the first two races of the season. Is this their return to form?

17. Schumacher: Not too shabby actually. Did manage to pass Latifi.

Lafiti vs Mazepin: clearly the two worst drivers in the field. Mazepin is much better at finding ways to get air time on TV and youtube.

Driver's Championship: Looks like Hamilton and Verstappen are running away with it in a two-way battle. Good for Norris to hang onto the 3rd place. That will not last.

Team Championship: I think this is going to be resolved between Mercedes/Red Bull by how Bottas and Perez does. The first for third in the team championship is still developing. The first time in a long time, the fight may resolved by which team best works with and best manages their #2 driver. They have not been bothered about that for a while.

Looking forward to Barcelona next week. As Portugal is an unusual track as I gather the track surface is different. Should be interesting to see how everyone compares at Barcelona...and there are then three odd tracks in a row (Monaco, Azerbailjan and Turkey).
I was looking forward to your highlights as I only watched the first few laps (until after the SC restart) as we went to see the inlaws yesterday and had to drive home in the afternoon. After the first few bits of action it felt as if I wasn't going to miss much. I gather that Vettel beat Stroll and that young Schumacher did show some speed (for the car he drives), what happened to good old Mazepin? did he make a fool of himself once again?
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 2 years ago I was looking forward to your highlights as I only watched the first few laps (until after the SC restart) as we went to see the inlaws yesterday and had to drive home in the afternoon. After the first few bits of action it felt as if I wasn't going to miss much. I gather that Vettel beat Stroll and that young Schumacher did show some speed (for the car he drives), what happened to good old Mazepin? did he make a fool of himself once again?
Well, it was one you could miss. It was a straight shoot-out between Hamilton and Verstappen. They were running 1-2-3 (Bottas in the lead) and Hamilton muffed the safety car restart so Verstappen went around him on the straight. Hamilton then followed him around for a while at about a half second behind, not really challenging him. Then Verstappen blew a corner and Hamilton nailed him at the end of the straight with a somewhat adventurous outside pass. It actually looked pretty good. Then he ran down Bottas who slipped down to third, as expected. Perez did a very extended tire saving drive but did not look to have the pace of Verstappen. Not a lot of stories from the rest of the field.

Schumacher had a solid drive to 17th. Nothing to brag about but he certainly did not look like he didn’t belong. Mazepin was just slow, so slow he looked almost as slow as Latifi. He then blocked one car that was lapping him and got a 5 second penalty. The guy who all over the place and did at least two excursions off the track was Tsunoda, but I like his spirit.

Vettel qualified 10th while Stroll started somewhere in the back of the field. Vettel finished out of points with Stroll right behind him. So... not quite the dominant drive you expect to see between a 4-time world champion compared to a pay driver. On the other hand, Stroll had gotten the most recent updates and Vettel had not.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Not sure what happened with the Astons at the end. It could be that stroll gave the place to vettel after failing to make progress from being let through
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

White six wrote: 2 years ago Not sure what happened with the Astons at the end. It could be that stroll gave the place to vettel after failing to make progress from being let through
That was precisely what happened, and as confirmed by AM Mgt, Sebastian was asked to let Stroll through based on the argument, that junior had fresher tires, and if unobstructed, could gain grounds with them into points group. Seb subsequently accommodated teammate, however that theory for some reason didn't pan out as planned for Stroll. Junior consequently in his own volition then returned position to Sebastian, and slotted behind him.

I am not sure who planned race strategy for Vettel, but it wasn't very effective, and those who do monitor his ups and downs may noted, it is not first time when life in the fast lane turned on him just because race strategy was poor.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Aty wrote: 2 years agoowever that theory for some reason didn't pan out as planned for Stroll.
Probably because he's not very good, and once Seb gets an understanding of the car he'll dick Stroll week in, week out.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

Well, it was one you could miss. It was a straight shoot-out between Hamilton and Verstappen. They were running 1-2-3 (Bottas in the lead) and Hamilton muffed the safety car restart so Verstappen went around him on the straight. Hamilton then followed him around for a while at about a half second behind, not really challenging him. Then Verstappen blew a corner and Hamilton nailed him at the end of the straight with a somewhat adventurous outside pass. It actually looked pretty good. Then he ran down Bottas who slipped down to third, as expected. Perez did a very extended tire saving drive but did not look to have the pace of Verstappen. Not a lot of stories from the rest of the field.

Schumacher had a solid drive to 17th. Nothing to brag about but he certainly did not look like he didn’t belong. Mazepin was just slow, so slow he looked almost as slow as Latifi. He then blocked one car that was lapping him and got a 5 second penalty. The guy who all over the place and did at least two excursions off the track was Tsunoda, but I like his spirit.

Vettel qualified 10th while Stroll started somewhere in the back of the field. Vettel finished out of points with Stroll right behind him. So... not quite the dominant drive you expect to see between a 4-time world champion compared to a pay driver. On the other hand, Stroll had gotten the most recent updates and Vettel had not.
thanks for the summary, the first sentence made me smile :cool: Re young Schumi I don't think that he hasn't got enough pace, based on his years in GP2 and GP3 (or was it Formula 3 at the time? bah) I would have thought that his racing antics would be his main problem as on occasion he has shown glimpses of the fighting spirit that made his dad famous, only if you race like that nowadays you get a black flag. I was quite impressed with him in Imola because on occasion it looked as if he could keep up with the other guys (I'm trying for a moment to forget that he lost the car on the main straight under SC), to be honest I was equally surprised that he let everyone through so easily

Anyway let's see what happens, the fight for the wooden spoon looks like being hotly contested this season

I didn't know that Stroll got the most recent updates instead of Vettel, I wonder how Vettel's relationship with Aston Martin is going to develop, if at the 3rd race of the season they start giving the best bits to the son of the team owner I don't think that Vettel will last long (I was under the impression that he had bought some shares in Aston, maybe I'm wrong). I'm not sure that it was a wise move for Vettel, at the same time I don't understand why Aston is willing to pay Vettel's huge salary if they give the best bits to young Stroll (it's a bit like throwing those new bits in the garbage can, isn't it?)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 2 years ago
I didn't know that Stroll got the most recent updates instead of Vettel, I wonder how Vettel's relationship with Aston Martin will develop, if at the 3rd race of the season they start giving the best bits to the son of the team owner I don't think that Vettel will last long (I was under the impression that he had bought some shares in Aston, maybe I'm wrong). I'm not sure that it was a wise move for Vettel, at the same time I don't understand why Aston is willing to pay Vettel's huge salary if they give the best bits to young Stroll (it's a bit like throwing those new bits in the garbage can, isn't it?)
It is a simple fact, as last year where Stroll with 5 points v Vettel's zero gets the first action with updates. Vettel said he was aware before the race weekend this would be the case and he was happy about that.

An article about it was posted and commented on in the "Sebastian Vettel Future" thread here: http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/vi ... 03#p403403

In that post I initially referred to certain quotes as being from Vettel, but on re-reading the article they were more likely from Ralf Schumacher.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

I am lacking credible confirmation of this, but one source claimed that Vettel is paid only 5 MM per this season. That's not much...

This is interesting:

https://www.grandprix.com/news/vettel-h ... etter.html
Vettel hired to make Lance Stroll look better
Oh dear...
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

I said this both on TBK and here when the Vettel hire was announced - that's exactly the reason why Perez was replaced. He made Stroll look much worse than flamed out former champion Vettel would have. I guess the big name experts are following my logic too.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 2 years ago thanks for the summary, the first sentence made me smile :cool:

Yea, some seasons you can miss a few races or more. We all have real lives.
...to be honest I was equally surprised that he let everyone through so easily.
Well, you don’t have to be an a-hole to be good, but a lot of young drivers don’t seem to believe that. Some F1 observers also.
I didn't know that Stroll got the most recent updates instead of Vettel,...
Yea, that is an interesting story. Vettel discuses it was appeared accepting of it (who knows what he really feels). But, he really can’t complain until he starts beating Stroll on the track.
I don't understand why Aston is willing to pay Vettel's huge salary if they give the best bits to young Stroll (it's a bit like throwing those new bits in the garbage can, isn't it?)
Well, I gather the real advantage of Vettel is credibility and marketing. If Vettel is only being paid $5 M then it is probably worth that even if he never gets a podium. In the long run, it is clear the Aston Martin is trying to be one of the big three. So having. Vettel there helps that narrative. It is not what I would have done, but I understand the logic behind it.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Aty wrote: 2 years ago I am lacking credible confirmation of this, but one source claimed that Vettel is paid only 5 MM per this season. That's not much...

This is interesting:

https://www.grandprix.com/news/vettel-h ... etter.html
Vettel hired to make Lance Stroll look better

Oh dear...
I had not heard the $5 M figure, in fact I have heard no figure at all. Not surprised, but it is not what he used to make.