Miami GP confirmed between 2022-2032

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Bottom post of the previous page:

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago What's the length for this as well? The pit straight in comparison to the stadium looks rather short.
The layout is 5.41Km. They are considering 3 DRS zones (meh). Potential top speed at the end of the straight is 320Km/Hr.
And technically it's not a parking lot. But it reminds me of Sochi (see pic in the attached article). They have potential to make it great, or they have the potential to make it the US Sochi race.

Miami Race Announcement on F1 Official site
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago What's the length for this as well? The pit straight in comparison to the stadium looks rather short.
The layout is 5.41Km. They are considering 3 DRS zones (meh). Potential top speed at the end of the straight is 320Km/Hr.
And technically it's not a parking lot. But it reminds me of Sochi (see pic in the attached article). They have potential to make it great, or they have the potential to make it the US Sochi race.

Miami Race Announcement on F1 Official site
Cool. That's one big-ass stadium then.

Yeah, I don't mind the layout if it's at that scale. Can see three areas you could pass.

But it could also end up being some sort of windy narrow mess. I guess we'll see.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Well, overall good news and about time. Miami is one of three cities in the U.S. that should have and could support an F1 race (the others being New York and LA).

Now personally, I think the main straight should be down Biscayne Blvd (like IMSA used to do), but I guess this is the best they could do. Track looks a little “generic.”
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

@Ruslan They did have a downtown/waterfront proposal a few years back, but that got shot down by the city.

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/vi ... 17&t=15487
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Brown wants in addition also a race back to Indianapolis. It was always my perception that US couldn't care less about F1, therefore this sudden shift surprises me. First of all, talking about US being big market is IMO outdated, delusional notion, and most likely inaccurate cliche. Most people don't have gate-money for F1.

Europe is a large market, and it has traditional affinity to this sport (or whatever it is today). Yes, when it was sport, rather than business. There is no continuity in US between races, and once a year fly-by-night noisy flick over a weekend will do nothing much for securing F1 future.

Different, more reasonable financial structure, loyalty to established core customer base might be a better solution IMHO for sport future. Right now F1 seems to me is excessively English, instead international, as it was intended. Media tone and content is heavily slanted to English point of view, and it puts people off.

I am not sure to where is Liberty driving the series, however I do continue to believe that whilst a visit to places like Suzuka, Kyalami, Sao Paolo, Mexico, US (1 race), and Canada are all good, but rest of the season should happen at home, where the series belongs - Europe.

(I am old, and my thinking undoubtedly is at the level of an old fossil, so I hope to be forgiven for my outburst).

Edit: I should have added my nod for a race in China. Important market!!
Last edited by Aty 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Aty wrote: 2 years ago (I am old, and my thinking undoubtedly is at the level of an old fossil, so I hope to be forgiven for my outburst).
Yes. There fore i just take note.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Aty wrote: 2 years ago Brown wants in addition also a race back to Indianapolis. It was always my perception that US couldn't care less about F1, therefore this sudden shift surprises me. First of all, talking about US being big market is IMO outdated, delusional notion, and most likely inaccurate cliche. Most people don't have gate-money for F1.

Europe is a large market, and it has traditional affinity to this sport (or whatever it is today). Yes, when it was sport, rather than business. There is no continuity in US between races, and once a year fly-by-night noisy flick over a weekend will do nothing much for securing F1 future.

(I am old, and my thinking undoubtedly is at the level of an old fossil, so I hope to be forgiven for my outburst).
I agree with you. Delusional American stockholders who think the country is the centre of the world. This kind of slentrian America-centrism is what puts me off.

I have precisely 0% enthusiasm for another American corporate show-off event, and it is somewhat degrading that they are advertising the fact that they are going to be racing on the parking lot of an NFL football stadium, as if F1 is a sideshow to that!
Aty wrote: 2 years ago Different, more reasonable financial structure, loyalty to established core customer base might be a better solution IMHO for sport future. Right now F1 seems to me is excessively English, instead international, as it was intended. Media tone and content is heavily slanted to English point of view, and it puts people off.
I have another rant in relaton to this, but I will save that for another day.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

70% of the teams are UK based
Over 1000 GP appearances
300 wins
20 championships
246 fastest laps
285 pole positions
Thousands of people employed in the UK
Host of F1 races for 70 years

You can't escape the importance of British people in the history of F1, and it's no surprise that Brits would set the narrative - we have the biggest voice because we've grown up with Motorsport as a national passion, and because the rest of Europe speaks our language and therefore imports our content.

(Apologies for the last part, I wish we weren't so language ignorant)
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago 70% of the teams are UK based
Over 1000 GP appearances
300 wins
20 championships
246 fastest laps
285 pole positions
Thousands of people employed in the UK
Host of F1 races for 70 years

You can't escape the importance of British people in the history of F1, and it's no surprise that Brits would set the narrative - we have the biggest voice because we've grown up with Motorsport as a national passion, and because the rest of Europe speaks our language and therefore imports our content.

(Apologies for the last part, I wish we weren't so language ignorant)
UK stats are at European expenses, some may say. Mercedes, Renault, RBR, Ferrari, Pirelli...financing...UK "success".

It's time for them to come home where they belong. Not that they will any time soon. The whole thing has to go bust first before people will wake up.

70 years of racing you say?
In y.1895 race was held on continental soil, so it's not like Europeans are strangers to fast turning wheels. That could count for something.

Either way, past is past, however methinks it's time for change, so fans can return into empty stands. Bad practices of the past should be dumped for something better.

(I seems have a slow day today; that might be also a problem).
Last edited by Aty 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Hmm. Do you open a factory in your home country, or do you go where the professionals are?

There a reason that manufacturers invest in UK bases.

As for bad practices of the past, hasn't F1 been taken off course by Jean Todt, a Frenchman, and Ferrari, Italians?

Mosley for all his faults at least seemed to have a sustainable direction.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

DaleJuniorFan wrote: 2 years ago @Ruslan They did have a downtown/waterfront proposal a few years back, but that got shot down by the city.

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/vi ... 17&t=15487
I am aware. The IMSA based Grand Prix of Miami ran from 1983-1993, and was then used again by Trans-am in 1994, CART in 1995, and ALMS in 2002 and 2003. Now Formula One can't get it done. One wonders what was the difference. F1 used to have downtown races in Longbeach, Detroit, Dallas and Phooenix.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Aty wrote: 2 years ago Brown wants in addition also a race back to Indianapolis. It was always my perception that US couldn't care less about F1, therefore this sudden shift surprises me. First of all, talking about US being big market is IMO outdated, delusional notion, and most likely inaccurate cliche. Most people don't have gate-money for F1.

Different, more reasonable financial structure, loyalty to established core customer base might be a better solution IMHO for sport future. Right now F1 seems to me is excessively English, instead international, as it was intended. Media tone and content is heavily slanted to English point of view, and it puts people off.

I am not sure to where is Liberty driving the series, however I do continue to believe that whilst a visit to places like Suzuka, Kyalami, Sao Paolo, Mexico, US (1 race), and Canada are all good, but rest of the season should happen at home, where the series belongs - Europe.

You have a point, however you are also missing THE point. The BIG market in the US is television. Americans watch TV excessively, and that's where the money is to be made. Liberty needs to establish F1 as a TV sport in the US, however I think they'll need a US driver in a winning position, and nothing below that'll do. One way to attract drivers to F1 will be events like Miami; I don't think the event is aimed at the fans, TV or trackside.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Aty wrote: 2 years ago I am not sure to where is Liberty driving the series, however I do continue to believe that whilst a visit to places like Suzuka, Kyalami, Sao Paolo, Mexico, US (1 race), and Canada are all good, but rest of the season should happen at home, where the series belongs - Europe.

So Australia is off your list despite having one of the most run Grand Prix in world terms. Yes, there have been more Australian Grand Prix than French GPs. There have been 88 Australian GPs.... I think Italy have had 90 Italian GPs. Agreed not every. Aus GP has been for F1, and for some years it was for Sports cars, but it has run an Australian GP every year bar the war years since the 1920's. We have had permanent racetracks since the 1920's. Prior to Australia holding an F1 championship GP of course we used to entertain the Worlds best cars and drivers for the Tasman Championship, which included the Australian GP as one of the rounds of that. Even when it was pre championship we would have the likes of Rosberg, Prost Lauda, Clark Hill Surtees Rindt, Stewart back to Moss and Whitehead and before all coming to drive in the Australian GP in the European Off season.

There was an annual Australian GP long before there was a British GP., albeit not in world championship terms.
Australians part of motor sport is well known, and many Aussies have left Australia to take up careers in motor racing overseas.
In fact I believe Australian drivers have won just one Championship GP less than Italian drivers.

I guess the point of this post is to remind you that you should not forget Australia when you talk of nations with long histories of and heritage in motor sport. Even if as a market important to the auto manufacturers we are of minimal importance. We are no China is automotive importance. But then neither are the US. Or any other auto marketon the planet.. China's current Motorization rate is many times higher than other saturated markets. And there are a lot of people in China!

Im certainly not denying that Europe is the heart of Grand Prix racing, and I agree their various GPs should be maintained above other Middle Eastern and Asian GPs. Im also totally against a third US based GP or even a second if it is at the expense of other traditional GPs in areas with Motor Sport history. Just a playful reminder, dont forget Australia. :wink: .

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years agoYes, there have been more Australian Grand Prix than French GPs.
Ooooh not sure about that.. 84 Australian Grand Prix (admittedly I'm going by Wikipedia) while the French GP is nearing 90
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

If Liberty is going to continue on expansion course they are now, in a few years I would be surprised if Europe holds more than token 4 races in all. 23 races per season seem excessive (in my mind), I am thinking 18 is fine, but they might settle on 22.

(4) Imola, Monte Carlo, English, and they might perhaps retain Spa. That's about it. Maybe some tracks will be on rotation. There is a greater interest on the continent, but I doubt they will be getting it.

(3) US (Texas, Miami, Indianapolis)

(15) Suzuka, Kyalami, Sao Paolo, Mexico, Canada, China (wants 2), Melbourne, Singapore, Russia, Arabian lands (2), Azerbaijan, Vietnam, Mongolia

Well, maybe we get new owners who can speak more than one language, and common sense prevails.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years agoYes, there have been more Australian Grand Prix than French GPs.
Ooooh not sure about that.. 84 Australian Grand Prix (admittedly I'm going by Wikipedia) while the French GP is nearing 90
My understanding is 87 French GP's and I counted 88 from my AGP encyclopaedia of the pre WDC races and added the WDC races.
.... but I have just realised I think I counted 2020 for Australia which of course didnt happen. So maybe an 87-87 draw.

In which case what I should have written there have been as many AGP's as French..... and the French did start 20 years earlier, so have had a lot more gaps than just the war years. :tongue:

Or settle for there have been bloody loads of 'em and we have a true heritage of motorsports that should not be cast aside. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always