Miami GP confirmed between 2022-2032

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years agoYes, there have been more Australian Grand Prix than French GPs.
Ooooh not sure about that.. 84 Australian Grand Prix (admittedly I'm going by Wikipedia) while the French GP is nearing 90
My understanding is 87 French GP's and I counted 88 from my AGP encyclopaedia of the pre WDC races and added the WDC races.
.... but I have just realised I think I counted 2020 for Australia which of course didnt happen. So maybe an 87-87 draw.

In which case what I should have written there have been as many AGP's as French..... and the French did start 20 years earlier, so have had a lot more gaps than just the war years. :tongue:

Or settle for there have been bloody loads of 'em and we have a true heritage of motorsports that should not be cast aside. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Aty wrote: 2 years ago I am not sure to where is Liberty driving the series, however I do continue to believe that whilst a visit to places like Suzuka, Kyalami, Sao Paolo, Mexico, US (1 race), and Canada are all good, but rest of the season should happen at home, where the series belongs - Europe.

(I am old, and my thinking undoubtedly is at the level of an old fossil, so I hope to be forgiven for my outburst).

Edit: I should have added my nod for a race in China. Important market!!
So Australia is off your list despite having one of the most run Grand Prix in world terms. Yes, there have been more Australian Grand Prix than French GPs. There have been 88 Australian GPs.... I think Italy have had 90 Italian GPs. Agreed not every. Aus GP has been for F1, and for some years it was for Sports cars, but it has run an Australian GP every year bar the war years since the 1920's. We have had permanent racetracks since the 1920's. Prior to Australia holding an F1 championship GP of course we used to entertain the Worlds best cars and drivers for the Tasman Championship, which included the Australian GP as one of the rounds of that. Even when it was pre championship we would have the likes of Rosberg, Prost Lauda, Clark Hill Surtees Rindt, Stewart back to Moss and Whitehead and before all coming to drive in the Australian GP in the European Off season.

There was an annual Australian GP long before there was a British GP., albeit not in world championship terms.
Australians part of motor sport is well known, and many Aussies have left Australia to take up careers in motor racing overseas.
In fact I believe Australian drivers have won just one Championship GP less than Italian drivers.

I guess the point of this post is to remind you that you should not forget Australia when you talk of nations with long histories of and heritage in motor sport. Even if as a market important to the auto manufacturers we are of minimal importance. We are no China is automotive importance. But then neither are the US. Or any other auto marketon the planet.. China's current Motorization rate is many times higher than other saturated markets. And there are a lot of people in China!

Im certainly not denying that Europe is the heart of Grand Prix racing, and I agree their various GPs should be maintained above other Middle Eastern and Asian GPs. Im also totally against a third US based GP or even a second if it is at the expense of other traditional GPs in areas with Motor Sport history. Just a playful reminder, dont forget Australia. :wink: .
Error on my part, and I apologise. I am not sure how did I managed to leave it out.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years agoYes, there have been more Australian Grand Prix than French GPs.
Ooooh not sure about that.. 84 Australian Grand Prix (admittedly I'm going by Wikipedia) while the French GP is nearing 90
My understanding is 87 French GP's and I counted 88 from my AGP encyclopaedia of the pre WDC races and added the WDC races.
.... but I have just realised I think I counted 2020 for Australia which of course didnt happen. So maybe an 87-87 draw.

In which case what I should have written there have been as many AGP's as French..... and the French did start 20 years earlier, so have had a lot more gaps than just the war years. :tongue:

Or settle for there have been bloody loads of 'em and we have a true heritage of motorsports that should not be cast aside. :wink:
88 French Grand Prix by my count! :wink:
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

The problem for Liberty is that they're a publicly listed company.

Their shareholders don't just want today's profits. They want growth. Bigger share capitalisation and/or bigger dividends.

To do that they need to chase new markets. You can only bleed the old ones dry so much.

That's the harsh reality facing existing fans.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Does anyone have a projected date as to when they are holding the Miami GP?
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone have a projected date as to when they are holding the Miami GP?
I imagine it will be doubleheader with Canadian GP in June. Tennis tournament takes place in April and NFL season means anything from August onwards is impossible by default (so no US-double header with Austin in the fall).
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Yea, according to some articles, it will be in June (or "second quarter of next year," which I gather also means June). As Canada is likely to be on 12 June, then will Miami may be two weeks later (26 June)?

See: https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula ... e%2013.%20
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Ahem...
The worst time to have any sporting event in Florida is June. It's over 35C (95F) on a regular basis and rains (edit: downpours so bad you can't see more than 1 foot in front of you) for 1/2 hour every afternoon because the humidity stays around 99%.

Here's hoping they pick a different date.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

To reiterate what I said in the previous thread, it's either too damn hot or too damn wet in South Florida. If the organizers want to put together a financially successful race in a country that doesn't have a large contingent of F1 fans to fall back on, you're certainly going to be be hard pressed to get fair-weather fans to fill the stands for 2-3 hours just to burn up in near triple-digit temps or get soaked by afternoon showers in the dead of summer.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Yea, the Grand Prix of Miami tended to be held in February and 12-hours of Sebring in March. Hurricane season traditionally starts on 1 June. So, maybe they are not planning on grouping it with the Canadian GP. They may need to run it in March or April.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

DaleJuniorFan wrote: 2 years ago If the organizers want to put together a financially successful race in a country that doesn't have a large contingent of F1 fans to fall back on...
Miami has been jokingly referred to as the Capital of Latin America. I think there are fans there. It is one of three areas of the U.S. that I think can support an F1 race (the other two being New York and Southern California).