The Alpine Thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

The Alpine Thread

Post by Ruslan »

I did not see a Renault thread (I did not look too hard), but I note this article with interest: https://www.grandprix.com/news/ceo-expl ... -exit.html

This quote got my attention: "So you need people who are part of the small, agile unit, but who also have a connection to the other side at the same time."

So was Abiteboul fired because 1) he didn't know the right people, 2) didn't have friends in the right places, 3) they wanted to put their buddies in charge?

I was never a big fan of Cyril Abiteboul, but I didn't get the sense that he was not doing his job.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I always. got the impression that he was let go for a few reasons.... one being he was a Ghosn man, and of course Ghosn is now a rude word in Renault circles. I also believe that given the resources Renault have thrown at F1 ther form has been erratic at best and certainly less than expection in terms of race wins, championship position etc, and with new Management at all levels at Renault a senior level scapegoat for their poor F1 performance had to be found. Cyril was that man.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago I always. got the impression that he was let go for a few reasons.... one being he was a Ghosn man, and of course Ghosn is now a rude word in Renault circles. I also believe that given the resources Renault have thrown at F1 ther form has been erratic at best and certainly less than expection in terms of race wins, championship position etc, and with new Management at all levels at Renault a senior level scapegoat for their poor F1 performance had to be found. Cyril was that man.
All of the above, however sometimes fresh blood, face, and thinking is needed. CA did what he could, but changes were required (IMHO).
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago I also believe that given the resources Renault have thrown at F1 ther form has been erratic at best and certainly less than expection in terms of race wins, championship position etc, ....
Yea, I don’t know what there engine budget was. I gather less than Mercedes. Their “team budget” was less than the original budget cap figures (according to Cyril). I gather that they were not spending as much as the big three and may have been spending less that some for the mid-pack teams (Mclaren?).

So yea don’t how much Abiteboul is to blame and how much is just a lack of support.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Alpine F1 secures €200m from investors including Ryan Reynolds

The Alpine Formula 1 team has sold 24% of its shares to a US-based investor group including Hollywood actor Ryan Reynolds, for just over €200m.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/alpin ... /10487761/

Someone has deep pockets after his tech investments.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney are moving into F1 then. They bought Wrexham football club a while back and have done wonderful things for both the club and the town. The locals adore them and they really put everything into making things work out. I am actually quite excited that they've now bought into F1. If their past performance with Wrexham is anything to go by, this is a very good thing I'd say. :cool:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!