2021 F1 race thread *Round 1: Bahrain*

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

Bottom post of the previous page:

White six wrote: 3 years agoNew sausage kerbs won't be happening after the pironi crash. More likely they are being removed
Pironi? I think you meant Peroni. Pironi crash happened a while ago. Like... 39 years.
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago Track Limits: Yes they were inconsistent, but the irony here (and maybe it was just my broadcast), is that the track limits were not even looked at or enforced during the race (bad idea) until the RedBull team complained to the stewards about the Lewis' driving. They brought the entire issue to race controls attention. Then Lewis was warned that he would receive the black and white flag if he did it again, so he stopped.
Yes, that was my impression also. What was clear was that:

1. Hamilton was repeatedly violating Turn 4 (and I gather was not the only one).
2. Red Bull discussed it over the radio with Verstappen and Verstappen said it was illegal.
3. Mercedes told Hamilton over the radio that if he exceeded the limits at turn 4 again he would get penalized according to the stewards.
4. Hamilton quit violating the limit.

The missing step, which is that Red Bull complained to the stewards about that I have no evidence of...but, I assume that is probably what happened between point 2 and 3 above.
Had they not complained, would it have been an issue?
Actually, I suspect it would have regardless, as he exited the track to do a pass. But the immediate response on this from the stewards was interesting.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
By the way, Montoya's lap there, even with the additional hairpin, was still a 1m30.2. That would have put him 8th on the grid yesterday.
And in 2004 the fastest 10 race laps were faster than Max's best race lap yesterday.
And bolt on some of today's slick tyres, and they would be easily faster than the class of 2021, right?
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Just a quote in Wikipedia:
The fastest laps at Albert Park Circuit, Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours, Autodromo Nazionale Monza and Shanghai International Circuit all remain the current lap records, even though three out of these four tracks were still used in F1 in 2019 or 2020.
About the Ferrari F2004.
Engine Ferrari Tipo 053 3.0 L (183 cu in) V10 (90°) naturally-aspirated
Power 900–1,000 horsepower (670–750 kW) @ 18,300 rpm
Weight 605 kg (1,334 lb)
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I notice the thread we were and still are discussing the Bahrain GP has now suddenly become the thread for Imola, still nearly a month away. WTF.

I thought we were going to keep with the one thread per race format as we have always done and has I thought worked well?

The problem with one long thread that includes every race is when trying to go back to look at a particular race say next year when it is amongst 22 other GPs for the year is nigh on impossible. I often refer back to GPs from previous years and it is easy with the current system.

Does anyone (other than @Antonov) have a problem with a GP having its own exclusive thread? Do we need to change?

Personally I cannot see any one advantage of an ongoing thread for multiple GPs. Happy to go with the majority feeling, but my thought is as I said before "If it aint broke, dont fix it".

Some input and opinions from other members would be appreciated.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Create a new thread. And please call it 2021 Round 2: Emilia Romagna* instead of 2021 F1 race thread *Round 2: Emilia Romagna*. Way too long.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Mawerick wrote: 3 years ago
White six wrote: 3 years agoNew sausage kerbs won't be happening after the pironi crash. More likely they are being removed
Pironi? I think you meant Peroni. Pironi crash happened a while ago. Like... 39 years.
Pironi, Peroni; Toemato, Tuhmahto.....?
My sausage was bent but the doctor told me it wasn't from a crash.

He said it was Peyronie's fault..... :shocked:

:topic:
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

erwin greven wrote: 3 years ago Create a new thread. And please call it 2021 Round 2: Emilia Romagna* instead of 2021 F1 race thread *Round 2: Emilia Romagna*. Way too long.
Seconded
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Mawerick wrote: 3 years ago
Well you know who I mean clever clogs :haha:
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Circuitmaster wrote: 3 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 3 years ago Create a new thread. And please call it 2021 Round 2: Emilia Romagna* instead of 2021 F1 race thread *Round 2: Emilia Romagna*. Way too long.
Seconded
Fixed it. :roll:
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago I notice the thread we were and still are discussing the Bahrain GP has now suddenly become the thread for Imola, still nearly a month away. WTF.

I thought we were going to keep with the one thread per race format as we have always done and has I thought worked well?

The problem with one long thread that includes every race is when trying to go back to look at a particular race say next year when it is amongst 22 other GPs for the year is nigh on impossible. I often refer back to GPs from previous years and it is easy with the current system.

Does anyone (other than @Antonov) have a problem with a GP having its own exclusive thread? Do we need to change?

Personally I cannot see any one advantage of an ongoing thread for multiple GPs. Happy to go with the majority feeling, but my thought is as I said before "If it aint broke, dont fix it".

Some input and opinions from other members would be appreciated.
Agree the above. Less confusing with individual race threads, fer sure.
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

The single thread for all races will also no longer allow the Best Introductions in the World™. Therefore I am violently urging you to embrace your love of Mongols and go with not just 1 thread per race, but the entire suite of race threads. The race thread, the rate the race thread, the guess the pole thread, the rate the drivers thread, the rating of the drivers moustaches thread for each race, and the rating of the race thread introductions pole rating thread per race thread.

But seriously, think of the MONGOLS, @MonteCristo @John @Everso Biggyballies and lets have a separate thread for each race.

Act now before it's too late. For just $1 per hour, you can save a forum and sponsor a race thread.

Thank you from the ministry of threaded loops and looped threads.

============================================jam======================================
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago The single thread for all races will also no longer allow the Best Introductions in the World™. Therefore I am violently urging you to embrace your love of Mongols and go with not just 1 thread per race, but the entire suite of race threads. The race thread, the rate the race thread, the guess the pole thread, the rate the drivers thread, the rating of the drivers moustaches thread for each race, and the rating of the race thread introductions pole rating thread per race thread.

But seriously, think of the MONGOLS, @MonteCristo @John @Everso Biggyballies and lets have a separate thread for each race.

Act now before it's too late. For just $1 per hour, you can save a forum and sponsor a race thread.

============================================jam======================================
I don't know how, or why, but frankly this whole thing is @John's fault. Race threads and track limits alike.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago
XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago The single thread for all races will also no longer allow the Best Introductions in the World™. Therefore I am violently urging you to embrace your love of Mongols and go with not just 1 thread per race, but the entire suite of race threads. The race thread, the rate the race thread, the guess the pole thread, the rate the drivers thread, the rating of the drivers moustaches thread for each race, and the rating of the race thread introductions pole rating thread per race thread.

I don't know how, or why, but frankly this whole thing is @John's fault. Race threads and track limits alike.
I'm teasing, but I quite enjoy it. A bit of silliness keeps me interested.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I must confess to having a little chuckle when elsewhere I saw someone claim that Mazepin's race was shorter than Bottas Pitstop! :rofl: :rofl:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It had to happen..... Mazepin has taken over the Maldonado reputation

......with dedicated websites relating to his driving record / crash / spin frequency

http://mazesp.in/ (this one has a table of all incidents and videos)
or
https://hasmazepinspuntoday.com/

:rofl: :rofl: