2021 F1 race thread *Round 1: Bahrain*

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

It had to happen..... Mazepin has taken over the Maldonado reputation

......with dedicated websites relating to his driving record / crash / spin frequency

http://mazesp.in/ (this one has a table of all incidents and videos)
or
https://hasmazepinspuntoday.com/

:rofl: :rofl:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
FedBet57
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Sportscar
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Solitude, Nurburgring

Post by FedBet57 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago It had to happen..... Mazepin has taken over the Maldonado reputation

......with dedicated websites relating to his driving record / crash / spin frequency

or

Poor Mazepin, even before taking part in his first GP the fans gave him a bad very reputation. :down:
"There's more fun in a gallon of gasoline than in a barrell of booze"
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

And he proved them to be correct, didn't he? :)
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

FedBet57 wrote: 3 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago It had to happen..... Mazepin has taken over the Maldonado reputation

or

Poor Mazepin, even before taking part in his first GP the fans gave him a bad very reputation. :down:
.... or was the bad reputation he has (both in and out of the car) self inflicted, leading to fans not particularly liking him. They do not pick on him just because he is the son of a billionaire. His pre season behaviour and more recently his showing a low level of ability (ie a number of spins and a sizeable crash all in the space of one 3 day event) coupled to his overall demeanour have sparked a fan dislike trend.
My opinion.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

FedBet57
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FedBet57 »

jimclark wrote: 3 years ago And he proved them to be correct, didn't he? :)
The fans and the media are correct but I have to say that it was his first GP, Schumacher spun too. Maybe Haas has something wrong in the car balance,
FedBet57
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FedBet57 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago

or

.... or was the bad reputation (both in and out of the car) self inflicted, leading to fans not particularly liking him. They do not pick on him just because he is the son of a billionaire. His behaviour and level of ability coupled to his demeanour have sparked a fan dislike trend.
My opinion.
I agree. But I feel sad for him
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The fans and the media are correct but I have to say that it was his first GP, Schumacher spun too. Maybe Haas has something wrong in the car balance,
I am sure there is something below par with the Haas car, but it seems that with both their rookie drivers suffered an inexperience with F1 power curves and cold tyres issues that led to both their race mishaps.
(The other 4 incidents that befell Mazepin over the weekend perhaps more of the same)

jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
I am sure there is something below par with the Haas car, but it seems that with both their rookie drivers suffered an inexperience with F1 power curves and cold tyres issues that led to both their race mishaps.
Below par? There is no speed the cars can corner? I guess they should not be on the track. I know you don't believe that.

Inexperience? How'd they get the Super License?

Alas, one should use the gray between the ears, and drive accordingly.
Your first F1 race you should at least be trying to impress by finishing the dang thing..... :wink:
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

In their defense (Schumacher and Mazepin), they had only two test sessions/get acquainted sessions and three one-hour practice sessions before their first F1 race. So their degree of preparation was less than most F1 rookies. You see the same issue with a number of experienced drivers this season also (Ricciardo, Sainz and Vettel) who were beaten by their teammates. This may be part of the continuing story for early part of this season.

Added to that, with a second warm-up lap the tires were colder than usual and the Haas has not been well developed (doesn't help that they have no experienced F1 drivers on the team). So, it is not that surprising. I will withhold judgement on these two drivers until they get a couple of more races under their belt.

That said, I am not completely sold on either driver. As far as "sympathy" for Mazepin, well that can be found in the dictionary between "shit" and "syphilis." Both drivers are in F1 for reasons above and beyond their driving abilities.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago Both drivers are in F1 for reasons above and beyond their driving abilities.
Should we then interpret your assertion as unequivocal rejection of F2 as a proper yardstick of driver's potential how he will perform in F1? Are you then suggesting Mick Schumacher didn't deserve to advance into F1? On what basis? He has won F2. Not enough?

One thing however you can depend on, Mick's career will go nowhere, if he gets stuck with Haas beyond one year. Mick can also forget about Ferrari. They are full for next several years. He has to do his best with that toaster he is driving now, and hopefully move on ASAP.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Aty wrote: 3 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago Both drivers are in F1 for reasons above and beyond their driving abilities.
Should we then interpret your assertion as unequivocal rejection of F2 as a proper yardstick of driver's potential how he will perform in F1? Are you then suggesting Mick Schumacher didn't deserve to advance into F1? On what basis? He has won F2. Not enough?

One thing however you can depend on, Mick's career will go nowhere, if he gets stuck with Haas beyond one year. Mick can also forget about Ferrari. They are full for next several years. He has to do his best with that toaster he is driving now, and hopefully move on ASAP.
Over the years, a significant number of F2, GP2 and GP3000 championship winners have never gotten to F1. So someone coming from F2 to F1 does not necessarily carry that much weight. Often the really talented drivers are pulled up into F1 before they ever get to F2. It all depends.

The fact that Mick Schumacher, with the advantage of his name, marketing value, and an F2 championship, only got to Haas is in itself a big red flag to me. I assume he has a multi-year contract with Haas.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Thank you for explaining your position on value of lower series, however I am not so certain that you have explained why you are rating Mick Schumacher as low as you do. Are you sure that it is his skills we are discussing, and nothing else? I should end here my part with "let Mick prove you wrong", but unfortunately where he is today, that would be too much to ask of him.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago
Aty wrote: 3 years ago

Over the years, a significant number of F2, GP2 and GP3000 championship winners have never gotten to F1. So someone coming from F2 to F1 does not necessarily carry that much weight. Often the really talented drivers are pulled up into F1 before they ever get to F2. It all depends.

The fact that Mick Schumacher, with the advantage of his name, marketing value, and an F2 championship, only got to Haas is in itself a big red flag to me. I assume he has a multi-year contract with Haas.
Young Schumacher did well in karting (2nd in the world championship), did well in F4 (2nd ADAC and Italy), won F3 and won F2, I think that he deserves to be in F1. He probably hasn't the same level of talent as his father but IMHO he has done much better than many others who landed a drive in F1. If you compare what Mick achieved in the junior formulae he did significantly better than, say, Tsunoda but after last Sunday we are all full of praise for Tsunoda and laughing at Mick who spun his car. Is Tsunoda so much better than Mick? at this stage I'd have to say no, he isn't, the main difference being that Mick drives an Haas and has everything to lose and Tsunoda drives an Aplha Tauri and he has all to gain. I would also add that Mick's surname certainly helped him landing a drive in the junior formulae but is his surname an help once he gets inside his car or is it a massive weight upon his shoulders? I'm more inclined to think that it's a massive burden

Having said that Mick's career will probably end in tears if he doesn't find another drive soon
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Tsunoda certainly impressed more of us than Mick did in F2 last year. He seemed to have more speed than Mick, but was raw and made mistakes. Mick certainly seemed to be slow and steady.

Tsunoda after all only picked up a 2nd and a 3rd in the opening EIGHT races. No points other than those two finishes.

He still finished the season with more wins than Mick (3v2), with 2 legitimate feature race victories rather than reverse grid fake wins.

it's worth noting the legitimate (F) feature race finishes of Mick, where qualifying and race-craft had more of an impact:

(F) 11, 4, 3, 9, 7, 6, 3, 1, 5, 1, 4, 6

Hardly the mark of a guy who is qualifying strongly, considering it was his second season in F2, and he was dicked in the opening rounds by a rookie, who would likely have beaten him had personal issues and bad luck not affected him.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago
I believe he is a Ferrari Academy / Junior driver, so his contract would be with Ferrari, albeit no doubt with a sub contract with Haas..... obviously as happened with other Ferrari Academy drivers (ie Leclerc and Gio of the current crop) they got positioned in a Ferrari customer team,Ferrari no doubt dishing out discounts on engines, transmissions and suspension parts, a few engineering staff members thrown in etc. With Haas I believe they also use / have used the Ferrari wind Tunnel and simulator when available. With Alfa this year haviing wanted to retain Kimi, and Gio finally looking half reasonable their only customer team option for Schu was with Haas. I know Ferrari have the right to put a driver of their choice in one of the Alfa seats.....obviously that is Gio, but who knows next year / in the future if Schu turns out to be any good maybe he will end up at Alfa next year at the expense of Gio, or of course if Kimi throws the towel in.. (Just throwing that in as an option, not based on anything I have read)

m sure Schumacher came with personal sponsorship, and as you say the family name that would also be to his credit. Mazespin of course is not aligned to any manufacturer but is purely a traditional style pay driver. He has a Father prepared to 'invest' tens of millions of his petty cash into his sons pastime, as was the case with Stroll and Latifi. Plus I have heard rumour that Mazein Snr. might be a future purchaser of the Haas team.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I seem to remember that Lance Stroll was a Ferrari academy driver once upon a time. Word is that it's easy to buy a place in the academy, and they're more than willing to accept people despite not being top notch as they evaluate for their GT programme. See Stroll, Alesi and more.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.