Drive to Survive Season 4 out March 11

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Picci wrote: 3 years ago I'm in episode 5. First time I'm watching and jumped straight to this season. How do people enjoy this? I think the problem with it is that it's trying to attract the uninitiated but the unitiated still has a massive learning curve to understand any of this stuff. As for people like us, well, we already know it all so it feels more like a season recap than anything.
I never bothered with series 1 or 2 and feel the same. I watched series 3 episode 1,2,3 together and not bothered to watch any more. I cant see it happening either unless I am completely bored.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago Female under 18's are upset that they're trying to make out there is a rivalry between Lando and Carlos, and that they didn't do a big focus on George Russell.
Don't make Maldonado angry.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Picci wrote: 3 years ago I'm in episode 5. First time I'm watching and jumped straight to this season. How do people enjoy this? I think the problem with it is that it's trying to attract the uninitiated but the unitiated still has a massive learning curve to understand any of this stuff. As for people like us, well, we already know it all so it feels more like a season recap than anything.
But making a series for the “uninitiated” is more important than making a series for “people like us.”
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Yeh exactly. Really not sure what millennials are after. I used to like F1 because I liked the speed, the complexity of the sport (those who want to follow a simple game can go watch football) and the technological innovation.

Continued watching last night. We’re back in Austria (why!!??). No wait, now the lights are going out and we’re in....Silverstone. What the hell
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Picci wrote: 3 years ago Yeh exactly. Really not sure what millennials are after. I used to like F1 because I liked the speed, the complexity of the sport (those who want to follow a simple game can go watch football) and the technological innovation.

Continued watching last night. We’re back in Austria (why!!??). No wait, now the lights are going out and we’re in....Silverstone. What the hell
I expect you've also noticed how some of the reactions are from the pitlane in Silverstone, and yet the track action is elsewhere?
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago
Picci wrote: 3 years ago Yeh exactly. Really not sure what millennials are after. I used to like F1 because I liked the speed, the complexity of the sport (those who want to follow a simple game can go watch football) and the technological innovation.

I expect you've also noticed how some of the reactions are from the pitlane in Silverstone, and yet the track action is elsewhere?
They've done that in all 3 series tbh

I also noticed a lot of reactions not matching action in Sunderland til I die too, a sport documentary Netflix trait. I think it started on xfactor ;)
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

White six wrote: 3 years ago
DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago

They've done that in all 3 series tbh

I also noticed a lot of reactions not matching action in Sunderland til I die too, a sport documentary Netflix trait. I think it started on xfactor ;)
They think they are capturing "generic footage" or stock shots to give more atmosphere, but the true fans recognize that the venues are different.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Spoilers!

I read that they didn't cover Mugello or even Istanbul, where Hamilton clinched the title? *Backs away slowly*
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Im not trying to justify anything here but I believe some of the lack of footage may be Covid related, ie fewer non essential personnel and limited people travelling. Having said that the TV crew were all there and as such tere would be ample stock footage available from every venue that could be drawn from.

(Yes I know I have just potentially shot my first point in the foot with the second point, but the second point came to me after I had written the first point.) :blush: :haha:

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Up to episode 7...it has gotten better.

But yea, they appear to have had much more limited access to teams, drivers, etc. It is a little flat compared to the last seasons. Few shots of people away from track.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago Up to episode 7...it has gotten better.

But yea, they appear to have had much more limited access to teams, drivers, etc. It is a little flat compared to the last seasons. Few shots of people away from track.
I won't miss Sainz and his 'manager' tbh
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

I'm sorry I think all of this is rubbish. I was expecting to see stuff I don't usually see on the screen. I think it's really awful TV.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Picci wrote: 3 years ago I'm sorry I think all of this is rubbish. I was expecting to see stuff I don't usually see on the screen. I think it's really awful TV.
The first seasons were a bit better (even though I am only on Episode 6 of season 3). They showed us some of the behind the scenes that we were not used to seeing (HAAS drama, Ricciardo's decision process to leave RedBull, etc...) and it added a human dimension to the sport we love. I think with COVID and everyone being at home we got some of that behind the scenes reported for the 2020 season already and Season 3 re-treads some of that ground. Plus they must have been limited at some point due to isolation and travel restrictions and we are not getting the full intimacy.
But let's see what comes in the remaining episodes.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I must admit I have every episode available to watch, as mentioned watched the first three back to back and have yet to venture into Episode 4. It will happen, just not this weekend. :wink:

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Well, just finished watching the last two episodes. I found the whole thing rather disjointed, stories were poorly developed, and it was all very myopic. A few comments:

1. It actually needed to have more episodes. They had so many significant long-term stories that were not properly addressed, that they ended giving short shift to a lot of them. They even left George Russell out of the series ! In the end, this season has a lot of significant stories and most were glossed over.

2. They actually needed to address the season long stories as season long stories. For example, Albon being in the hot seat was a season long story. They appeared to have brought it up and resolved it in one-half of an episode. The same with Vettel's firing and where he was Vettel going. And then there is Hamilton's end racism campaign, which was season long. They addressed it briefly at the end. I am not sure they ever mentioned the Mercedes car paint scheme was completely changed because of this. They showed nothing on how it got established or set up. I don't recall much on Williams being bought out, etc. Ferrari's notable short fall and continued failure throughout the year was a single episode, and kind of skipped over all the controversy over the "cheating" scandal between the seasons.

3. They seemed to avoid real controversy, and there was a lot this last year. The whole season almost collapsed, several teams almost collapsed, there was weird deal between Ferrari and FIA over their fuel flow issues, Bernie Ecclestone and others comments about Hamilton's end racism campaign, the renegotiation of the budget cap, etc. About the only real controversy last season they touched on was the pink Mercedes, and probably not in the depth that they needed to or addressing how truly unusual and outrageous it was.

4. They probably need to go back to telling the story chronologically. It does seem like the first eight races of the season were covered repeatedly in the first eight episodes and the last three races were covered in the last two, and everything in between was skipped. It was actually hard to keep track of who was winning what where.

Anyhow, the later episodes are better, but it is definitely in need of work.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago It strikes me as being more entertainment than reality.
Im certainly not champing at the bit to watch more at this stage.
I get your sarcasm. I watched a couple of episode while waiting for the live feed on sky f1. I must say this really reproduce the dullness of the drivers of today and the complete lack of competition.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts