2021 Season Testing

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Bottom post of the previous page:

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago Testing just reinforced my biases.

Team ranking:
1. Mercedes
2. Red Bull (although they are looking strong in testing)
3. Ferrari (confirmed in testing?)
4. McLaren/Alpine
6. Aston Martin (I was rating them equal with McLaren/Alpine before they test. It does not appear they are at the same level as those two teams).
7. Alpha
8. Alfa (as a result of this test they have moved up in my estimation. I still may be underrating them here).
9. Williams
10. Haas
Mercedes did the fewest laps of any teams, the car looked quite sensitive to setup and direction change. Hamilton was all over the track on Day 1, he was in the gravel on Day 2 and spun it on Day 3 as well. Is this Mercedes sandbagging by making themselves look bad?

Because in 2020 pre-season testing they topped the times on three separate days by quite a margin.
So are you stating that Red Bull is clearly the strongest team?
I don't know who is the strongest team, but I feel like Mercedes still haven't got on top of their new car. They might turn it around come the opening race, or maybe a few weekends into the season, but I would be a bit surprised if they were 0.5s+ a lap faster than the rest come the first race as they were last year.

Now, that's what I'm talking about
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

White six wrote: 3 years ago

Team ranking:
1. Mercedes
4. McLaren/Alpine
6. Aston Martin (I was rating them equal with McLaren/Alpine before they test. It does not appear they are at the same level as those two teams).
7. Alpha
8. Alfa (as a result of this test they have moved up in my estimation. I still may be underrating them here).
9. Williams
10. Haas
Mercedes did the fewest laps of any teams, the car looked quite sensitive to setup and direction change. Hamilton was all over the track on Day 1, he was in the gravel on Day 2 and spun it on Day 3 as well. Is this Mercedes sandbagging by making themselves look bad?

Because in 2020 pre-season testing they topped the times on three separate days by quite a margin.
I don't know who is the strongest team, but I feel like Mercedes still haven't got on top of their new car. They might turn it around come the opening race, or maybe a few weekends into the season, but I would be a bit surprised if they were 0.5s+ a lap faster than the rest come the first race as they were last year.

Nice bit of kit with the blown diffuser.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago
White six wrote: 3 years ago

Team ranking:
1. Mercedes
4. McLaren/Alpine
7. Alpha
9. Williams
10. Haas

Nice bit of kit with the blown diffuser.
:haha: :haha: :haha:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

I feel Lewis will be doing a bit more exhaust sniffing this time :cool:
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

White six wrote: 3 years ago I feel Lewis will be doing a bit more exhaust sniffing this time :cool:
It would be hilarious if Red Bull absolutely smoked Mercedes at 2014 levels of dominance, as the Hamilton/Merc fanboys will have nowhere to run - either Max wins because he has the best car (and so did Lewis), or it's never been about the car (and Lewis is suddenly shit)

I can but dream. We all know what's happened before - Merc have previously turned up to the second part of testing with a complete B-Spec car, and then thrash the competition all season. They'll have probably done similar and have two specs ready to test back to back in P1 and P2 at Bahrain.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Oh, game over. Merc have it in the bag again:
Mercedes HAS spent their 2 tokens, but nobody knows (or can see) where. It’s likely we’ll see something more about this on/after their ‘filming day’.
No one can see where Merc spend their tokens, but James Allison said they'd become obvious "in good time" or something to that effect.

Yay, Merc are going to bring their silver bullet 2021 version of a double diffuser, and the fanboys will claim Hamilton has turned a twitchy car into a championship winner, when in reality it's actually just that Merc didn't use their actual 2021 car in testing.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago
White six wrote: 3 years ago I feel Lewis will be doing a bit more exhaust sniffing this time :cool:
It would be hilarious if Red Bull absolutely smoked Mercedes at 2014 levels of dominance, as the Hamilton/Merc fanboys will have nowhere to run - either Max wins because he has the best car (and so did Lewis), or it's never been about the car (and Lewis is suddenly shit)

I can but dream. We all know what's happened before - Merc have previously turned up to the second part of testing with a complete B-Spec car, and then thrash the competition all season. They'll have probably done similar and have two specs ready to test back to back in P1 and P2 at Bahrain.
I'd settle for a wdc with a bit of excitement. I think max can beat hammy in a straight fight, would be happy if they were close enough for that. If hammy won, fair enough. Hopefully he'd then retire

Would seem a bit risky for Merc to turn up to the only 3 days of testing with a total b spec. Ok, they were sandbagging massively in 2019, but not last year
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Breakdown of times and laps by team and by driver.
I was a little surprised to see Gasly at the top of the lap count.
At the other end of the scale Vettel had the fewest laps troubled by unreliability.

Aside from this I was I have to say fairly underwhelmed by the performance and reliability of the Aston Martin. The hype has far surpassed the achievment.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Let's be fair, by all measures that's great from Tsunoda
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Merc do 24 less laps than McLaren and are in crisis. McLaren meanwhile have had a great test.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago I don't know who is the strongest team, but I feel like Mercedes still haven't got on top of their new car. They might turn it around come the opening race, or maybe a few weekends into the season, but I would be a bit surprised if they were 0.5s+ a lap faster than the rest come the first race as they were last year.

Watching some of testing live, the commentators were talking about how these regulations look like they suit the high rake cars. Given the RBR was driving around like this all weekend there's a possibility they may be right:

It does look like there is some play here. On the other hand, this is not the first time that Mercedes didn’t start the season with a perfect car. They do tend to develop the car well over the course of a season, but some of that may be constrained by the budget cap.

But after seeing the results of testing I would not be surprised if Red Bull grabbed the first couple of races. It does appear the Red Bull has resolved the drivability issues with their high rake design that was bedeviling Gasly and Albon.

So yea, we may actually have to watch the first couple of races this season to see how it plays out.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

White six wrote: 3 years ago Let's be fair, by all measures that's great from Tsunoda
Couldn't agree more. Cant think of any other rookie, certainly not recently, who came out and finished second fastest overall in their first pre season test. More impressive was that reliability problems kept him out of the top 10 in terms of laps completed.
Probably too premature to say he is the real deal, but I will be watching his progress with interest

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

And Mazepin outpaced M. Schumacher
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Antonov wrote: 3 years ago And Mazepin outpaced M. Schumacher
And Tsunoda outpaced Hamilton
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

And Nissany was the fastest driver of all (In a straight line)
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Again @Antonov: Laptimes don't say anything in Test days. We never know how much fuel they had on board or what the test strategies were.

At some moment Russell was testing pitlane speeds. 120kmh, 240kmh, 200kmh... Set the speed and check if the car runs that speed continuously.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."