Driving the Red Bull

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Driving the Red Bull

Post by Ruslan »

This brief article got my attention: https://www.grandprix.com/news/red-bull ... perez.html

A few highlights:

Perez: "It's a car that requires quite a peculiar driving style. Very specific."

Perez: "One of the things that caught my attention in the simulator and then the car is the level of grip at the front end - its very high."

I gather the Red Bull still has a rake to it, which I gather means that the front end is getting lots of downforce, more so than the back end. Does this just mean that it is a oversteering car, or does it mean something more? "Peculiar driving style" implies something more.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

It could be a very pointy car as well. Lifting the rear end up like that will transfer more weight onto the front wheels, but I guess it also lifts the rear of the floor up so it is more in the air flow making a bit more rear downforce. I don't see anything on the 2020 onboards that shows the car is wildly different from any of the others though, so must be a seat of the pants kind of thing :-)
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Scott Mansell says something similar here. Verstappen's racing lines are more square than other drivers. He turns in a lot later and carries much less speed at the apex but it makes him come off the corner faster. You need a pointy car to make that work :-)

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Problem solved?: https://www.grandprix.com/news/red-bull ... albon.html

"Red Bull handling problems solved says Albon."

So, in 2022 the team will consist of Gasly and Albon?
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago Scott Mansell says something similar here. Verstappen's racing lines are more square than other drivers. He turns in a lot later and carries much less speed at the apex but it makes him come off the corner faster. You need a pointy car to make that work :-)

It would explain Albon refusing to overtake anyone on the inside
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

White six wrote: 3 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago Scott Mansell says something similar here. Verstappen's racing lines are more square than other drivers. He turns in a lot later and carries much less speed at the apex but it makes him come off the corner faster. You need a pointy car to make that work :-)
It would explain Albon refusing to overtake anyone on the inside
:haha: :haha:
Thank God he did, it was often the high point of otherwise dreary races.

Somewhat ironic given his demotion to read that Albon seems to be the one who has been developing this years car, and in his words he feels many of the issues that thwarted his comfortable handling of the car last year seem to have been overcome..... it will be interesting to see how Perez gets on with the Red Bull after many years driving the Force India, Racing Point cars and the inevitable differences he will find.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago I gather the Red Bull still has a rake to it
Yes, I believe I read someone else, probably on this forum itself, also mention it. That Adrian Newey is hellbent on continuing to make the high rake approach work in 2021.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

SB83 wrote: 3 years ago
Yes, I believe I read someone else, probably on this forum itself, also mention it. That Adrian Newey is hellbent on continuing to make the high rake approach work in 2021.
So, the question is: what is the impact of the “rake” on handling and drivability? Does it plant the nose very solidly making the car oversteer, or is a problem of snap oversteer, or something else?

You around @P. Cornelius Scipio
?
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago
SB83 wrote: 3 years ago
So, the question is: what is the impact of the “rake” on handling and drivability? Does it plant the nose very solidly making the car oversteer, or is a problem of snap oversteer, or something else?

You around @P. Cornelius Scipio
?
Yep, I'm back after the winter break! I'm back and keeping my fingers crossed for a half decent show this season
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

One thing's for sure - the rake makes those cars even more hideous. It should be banned on aesthetic grounds alone!
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago This brief article got my attention: https://www.grandprix.com/news/red-bull ... perez.html

A few highlights:

Perez: "It's a car that requires quite a peculiar driving style. Very specific."

Perez: "One of the things that caught my attention in the simulator and then the car is the level of grip at the front end - its very high."

I gather the Red Bull still has a rake to it, which I gather means that the front end is getting lots of downforce, more so than the back end. Does this just mean that it is a oversteering car, or does it mean something more? "Peculiar driving style" implies something more.
I guess that it's a car that has to be driven using rotation rather than understeer, Vettel uses rotation a lot and he was doing wonders at RBR, Verstappen uses rotation even more than Vettel and he's always been superb with those cars, Perez has a completely different driving style, he's much more "traditional" that the likes of Verstappen, Vettel and Michael Schumacher (another guy who used to take full advantage of rotation). There are several videos on youtube where they explain Verstappen's driving style compared to others, you can check them out to see what's the difference. I'm not sure that Vettel find the Aston Martin very suited to his driving style, it seems to be a car with a decent amount of understeer. Anyway let's see what happens, I guess that when you're 30 it's too late to change your driving style, if you don't feel the car completely under you when you commit to a corner it's natural that you lose time
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Vettel loves a car that rotates when it is still in the corner, but when throttle is applied its rear should stick (there is the blown diffuser again!!). Look at the spots he mostly spun. Exit at relative low speed corners.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 3 years ago Yep, I'm back after the winter break! I'm back and keeping my fingers crossed for a half decent show this season
It might be. On the other hand, I suspect this is a building season for 2022, the first time they will have to design cars under a budget cap.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel

Post by Aty »

Does anyone know what is excluded from said budgetary restrictions? I am not sure if perhaps the answer would be shorter to ask what is actually included in that budget? Surely the answer is not "everything" is included. There is obvious massive disparity in operational budget between genuine engine maker such as Alpine is, RBR with the gift from Honda, and perhaps McLaren as an engine customer. Each team inevitably has its own unique operational approach, and beats me how one budget baseline can resolve equitably perceived differences.