Bucket list F1 races

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago I want to do Belgium, but I don't really care for going all that much. You go, you see about 1% of the race, you hopefully see it on a big screen, then you come home to understand what actually happened. It's not a great spectator sport
What I like about the idea of doing Le Mans is that you can walk around large swathes of it and see a lot more (even if you still don't see so much of 'the race').

My biggest problem with F1 is that the grandstands take up the best spots (and you're stuck in one place), and general admission is usually shit for viewing. There are some decent places, but you need to park yourself there early and stay.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
JBT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T, Porsche 917
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Brands Hatch
Car(s) Currently Owned: Alfa 156 V6

Post by JBT »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago
What I like about the idea of doing Le Mans is that you can walk around large swathes of it and see a lot more (even if you still don't see so much of 'the race').
When you do go Monte, take a bicycle if you can. Between Mulsanne corner and Indianapolis / Arnage for example, it looks like only a couple of mile walk, but there's no way to walk direct between the two alongside the track - you have to walk away from the circuit a fair way just to get to a road that will take you back towards it, maybe 5-6 miles / 8-9.5km. It's a nice walk, but boy do you need a drink when you get to your next vantage point! When I went in '09, we camped at Mulsanne and walked to the start / finish straight on race morning after spectating as far as Arnage during practice / qualifying. It didn't help that we took a wrong turn but we ended up walking about 12 miles / 19km to get there. The pint of Guinness in the paddock never tasted so good...

Back to the thread question, I would love to go back to Le Mans one year. That and to Bathurst for either the 12hr or the 1000.
"I decided i was going to go into it flat, so i did" Nigel Mansell, 1990 Mexican GP
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

JBT wrote: 3 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago
When you do go Monte, take a bicycle if you can. Between Mulsanne corner and Indianapolis / Arnage for example, it looks like only a couple of mile walk, but there's no way to walk direct between the two alongside the track - you have to walk away from the circuit a fair way just to get to a road that will take you back towards it, maybe 5-6 miles / 8-9.5km. It's a nice walk, but boy do you need a drink when you get to your next vantage point! When I went in '09, we camped at Mulsanne and walked to the start / finish straight on race morning after spectating as far as Arnage during practice / qualifying. It didn't help that we took a wrong turn but we ended up walking about 12 miles / 19km to get there. The pint of Guinness in the paddock never tasted so good...

Back to the thread question, I would love to go back to Le Mans one year. That and to Bathurst for either the 12hr or the 1000.
Thanks for the tip! :cool:
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Everest Sport

Post by Kai-Star »

Been to Aus GP '03 and '04, French GP 08 and Chinese GP '14. Probably the one I'm looking at doing in the near future is the Singapore GP. I'm more looking for the experience surrounding the GP than the race itself, because as others have mentioned, watching the race itself is limited.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve