Russian drivers banned from competing as Russians.

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago As an aside this ruling also forbids the playing of the Russian national anthem at FIA events, meaning it will not be played ahead of the grand prix in Sochi, nor for any Russian victory during the podium ceremony. (Maybe they will find a drunk with a trombone to play Happy Birthday in its place..... as happened when Alan Jones won his first GP and there was no Australian Anthem available so a substitution Anthem happened
Main reason for posting is to bust this myth: when Jones won in Austria with the Shadow, the Australian national anthem WAS played, the spectator with the instrument played several tunes, but not Happy Birthday, he played a trumpet, not a trombone, and he was most likely not even tipsy. Still, this nonsense will probably still be posted in a hundred years, because people want to believe it. :roll:
Well yes you are right it was a trumpet not a trombone. I realised when I wrote it but somehow forgot to edit it.
However, as to the truth or myth of the story, I have heard on many occasions Alan Jones himself relating the story in TV interviews. I recall him talking of there being many drunks with trumpets to chose from. So Jones himself is guilty of spreading false rumours and perpetuating the story.
In his own words regarding his first (unexpected) win and the lack of an Aussie Anthem.:
“Well, certainly the organisers obviously didn’t expect it to happen because they didn’t have the Australian national anthem,”
“So a drunk played Happy Birthday on a trumpet — of which there were plenty in Austria.”
Yeah, I think that was a bit of a political argument, wasn't it? Somebody from Oz told me this story, that there were in effect two Australian anthems at the time (old & new), and Master Jones didn't like the one that was played for political reasons. Something like, the new anthem was supported by a party Jonesy didn't like, and thus Mr. Grumpy was a little pissed off and said they played something stupid like Happy Birthday.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Here it is:
In 1974 ‘Advance Australia Fair’ was adopted as the Australian National Anthem, but in 1976 ‘God Save The Queen’ was reinstated.

In 1977 the Australian Electoral Office conducted another poll, which again found ‘Advance Australia Fair’ was the preferred anthem (43.6 per cent), followed by ‘Waltzing Matilda (28.45 percent).
https://pmc.gov.au/government/australia ... nal-anthem

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Alan Jones being grumpy? Seems a ridiculous suggestion
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago As an aside this ruling also forbids the playing of the Russian national anthem at FIA events, meaning it will not be played ahead of the grand prix in Sochi, nor for any Russian victory during the podium ceremony. (Maybe they will find a drunk with a trombone to play Happy Birthday in its place..... as happened when Alan Jones won his first GP and there was no Australian Anthem available so a substitution Anthem happened
Main reason for posting is to bust this myth: when Jones won in Austria with the Shadow, the Australian national anthem WAS played, the spectator with the instrument played several tunes, but not Happy Birthday, he played a trumpet, not a trombone, and he was most likely not even tipsy. Still, this nonsense will probably still be posted in a hundred years, because people want to believe it. :roll:
Well yes you are right it was a trumpet not a trombone. I realised when I wrote it but somehow forgot to edit it.
However, as to the truth or myth of the story, I have heard on many occasions Alan Jones himself relating the story in TV interviews. I recall him talking of there being many drunks with trumpets to chose from. So Jones himself is guilty of spreading false rumours and perpetuating the story.
In his own words regarding his first (unexpected) win and the lack of an Aussie Anthem.:
“Well, certainly the organisers obviously didn’t expect it to happen because they didn’t have the Australian national anthem,”
“So a drunk played Happy Birthday on a trumpet — of which there were plenty in Austria.”
Yeah, I think that was a bit of a political argument, wasn't it? Somebody from Oz told me this story, that there were in effect two Australian anthems at the time (old & new), and Master Jones didn't like the one that was played for political reasons. Something like, the new anthem was supported by a party Jonesy didn't like, and thus Mr. Grumpy was a little pissed off and said they played something stupid like Happy Birthday.
Regardless of which anthem it was or wasn't, I've heard the same story - from AJ himself - as well more than once.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

So, that makes him a grumpy man, doesn't it? When he repeats the story over and over, no?

For what it's worth, there is a YT video of the whole ceremony, so you can check out which anthem they actually played. And the trumpet player is audible very well, no Happy Birthday though. I'd be very surprised if a drunk could play that well.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Without looking into the details from memory at that time Australia had started their move towards not wanting to be a 'little' (big?) extension of the UK at the other end of the globe....a move towards Nationalism I guess it could be called. Certainly a new National Anthem was being considered. (I think competitions were set up for Aussies to come up with their ideas.) I know Waltzing Matilda was a firm favourite at one time. Prior to this period Australia had used the "God save the Queen" British Anthem, so indeed at this time the official anthem was still 'GSTQ', which was not formally replaced until 1984 by Advance Australia Fair. So yes there was a movement in place prior to that time to replace the UK Anthem. In fact Advance Australia Fair (the current Anthem) has been around since 100 years prior and had been used regularly.

Jones first win, although pre the timing of the official time of the change, was right at that point in history that the Govt were looking for a new anthem that reflected a "symbolic expression of Australia's national pride and dignity."

In a nutshell legally the Aussie Anthem at the tie of Jones first win was the UK anthem, but there were a number of pretender songs being bandied around and indeed used particularly pre and post sporting events, in cinemas etc etc.

Nowadays there are discussions to replace the Aussie Flag with something not reflecting its historical ties to the UK>.... ie no Union Jack reference in the corner, many wanting it replaced with something more "Aboriginal" and reflecting the pre UK history of Aus.

So I daresay yes, Jones would have been creating a stir wanting an Aussie Anthem rather than the UK one at that time.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Even with drugs I doubt Mazepin would be on the podium any time this year.

If Russians can still compete under a neutral flag I don't see the point of any of this.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago Even with drugs I doubt Mazepin would be on the podium any time this year.

If Russians can still compete under a neutral flag I don't see the point of any of this.
Exactly.... and the Russian GP is still able to be held, called the Russian GP. Just with no Russian Anthem. And as I mentioned previously anyone can go to a race waving Russian Flags of any number or size. But the drivers cannot have a tiny Russian flag on their race suits.

Go figure. Is this ruling going to change anything? Is it going to stop doping in Sport. Absolutely not. :annoyed: :insulted:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago Even with drugs I doubt Mazepin would be on the podium any time this year.

Exactly.... and the Russian GP is still able to be held, called the Russian GP. Just with no Russian Anthem. And as I mentioned previously anyone can go to a race waving Russian Flags of any number or size. But the drivers cannot have a tiny Russian flag on their race suits.

Go figure. Is this ruling going to change anything? Is it going to stop doping in Sport. Absolutely not. :annoyed: :insulted:
No it's purely symbolic. Like when we heard about The Artist Formerly Known as Prince. We didn't all believe this was a totally separate human being with no connection to Prince himself.

I don't know, the whole thing isn't that interesting to me :haha:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

FIA: You can't race under the Russian flag this year.
Mazepin: Under it? I'm going to actually race it!
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago FIA: You can't race under the Russian flag this year.
That livery is genuinely hilarious.

They just need an LED panel with the roflcopter on it to make it complete.

Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

I'm fully behind this livery. The decision to render Russia non-existent is pure hogwash so it's cool Haas went down the trolling path.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago FIA: You can't race under the Russian flag this year.
Apparently the World Anti-Doping Agency is going to investigate it. The Russian Anti-Doping Agency has already investigated and has concluded it is pretty dope.

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
Apparently the World Anti-Doping Agency is going to investigate it. The Russian Anti-Doping Agency has already investigated and has concluded it is pretty dope.
They're down there swabbing the exhaust now
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I am actually getting quite sick of hearing this Mazepin bashing. We all know he is in racing because of money rather than pure talent, so I'll always question that, but the video which supposedly shows him touching a woman's chest is hardly shocking to me, and she doesn't seem entirely upset about it either. Storm in a teacup.
Mazepin faced an open media call for the first time since the video was posted last week. The opening 13 minutes of a 20-minute session were almost exclusively filled with questions from journalists about what happened.

When asked directly about what he had learned in relation to treatment of women and his conduct with women, the questioner citing the disappointment of female F1 fans may feel, Mazepin again spoke about the example he set as an F1 driver.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why- ... y/5651373/

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago I am actually getting quite sick of hearing this Mazepin bashing. We all know he is in racing because of money rather than pure talent, so I'll always question that, but the video which supposedly shows him touching a woman's chest is hardly shocking to me, and she doesn't seem entirely upset about it either. Storm in a teacup.
Mazepin faced an open media call for the first time since the video was posted last week. The opening 13 minutes of a 20-minute session were almost exclusively filled with questions from journalists about what happened.

When asked directly about what he had learned in relation to treatment of women and his conduct with women, the questioner citing the disappointment of female F1 fans may feel, Mazepin again spoke about the example he set as an F1 driver.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why- ... y/5651373/
It's punching Illot.

It's threatening to out George Russell

It's using his car as a weapon on track etc.

It's using social media to offer paddock access in return for sex.

The guy is disgusting.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.