Drivers With Covid

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Antonov wrote: 2 years ago I tend to say the same. Whilst she is vaccinated, I think true numbers in Russia are probably through the roof (vs. official stats).
Yes, I would go vaccinated, but I don't want to end up being ill there.
That is also a big factor.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Zak Brown mentions it feels more like some sniffles On a scale from 0 to 10, in which 0 is excellent and 10 is awful (no idea why it is expressed that way), he says he is a 1.

He's doubly vaccinated, and without tests, he would have surely continued on working.

Just shows that Covid is a silent spreader now; so get your vaccines people!
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

It seems that also former-F1 driver Giedo van der Garde has covid.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Hamilton suspects he has Long Covid symptoms after “battle” with health

I think this was alluded to, maybe in the GP thread, but it is probably worth recording in here.

Lewis Hamilton revealed he has been struggling with his fitness after being diagnosed with Covid-19 last November. He certainly seemed to be struggling on the podium today at Hungary.... that alone seemed to be weird given I know how supremely fit all the drivers are. I mean, look at Vettell.... he completed the same race in the same conditions, had to park up on the slowdown lap, and along with Ocon both were seen running back to the pitlane for the podium celebration. Yet Lewis had to be literally given a hand to climb onto the podium.

Not only did he appear in poor condition on the podium he missed the beginning of the post-race press conference while he was attended to by a doctor.

“I had real big dizziness and everything got a bit blurry on the podium,” Hamilton explained when he later joined the press conference. “I’ve been fighting all year with staying healthy after what happened at the end of last year. It’s a battle.”

Hamilton is one of six F1 drivers to have tested positive for Covid-19. He missed the Sakhir Grand Prix last year while isolating from the rest of the paddock.

He admitted he has struggled with his health since returning to racing. “I haven’t spoken to anyone particularly about it, but I think it is lingering,” he said.

“I remember the effects of when I had it and training’s been different since then. The levels of fatigue you get is different and it’s a real challenge, as I said, so I’m just continuing to try and train and prepare the best way I can.”

He added the symptoms he experienced in Hungary were worse than what he had felt earlier in the year. “Today, who knows what it is, maybe it’s hydration, I don’t know, but I’ve definitely not had that experience,” he said. “I had something similar, in Silverstone but this is way worse.”

Other drivers who contracted Covid dont seem to have suffered in the same way. I dont want to appear to be a tree hugger basher, but I wonder if it is perhaps a spin off from his vegan diet. Feed him a steak and he will be right as rain. Actually not even a steak, just some proper food. Im not big on steaks, but if it swims or has two legs i'll eat it. :rofl:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Vegan diet + BAME maybe?

The woman I know with long Covid 15 months after getting Covid is vegan and she can still barely walk from her lounge to her kitchen, also the other person I know still suffering is black. I think it was established long ago that BAME suffer way more than white people, dunno about vegans though but it sure seems they suffer too.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Lesson: Even if you are young and healthy: You don't want Covid.

I gather Hamilton is actually one of the most fit drivers on the grid.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Veganism is just...unnatural. Wouldn't be surprised if that's playing into what Hamilton might be experiencing.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Mr_Ferrari wrote: 2 years ago Veganism is just...unnatural. Wouldn't be surprised if that's playing into what Hamilton might be experiencing.
No less unnatural than eating processed or farm reared meat really
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Hamilton suspects he has Long Covid symptoms after “battle” with health

I think this was alluded to, maybe in the GP thread, but it is probably worth recording in here.

Lewis Hamilton revealed he has been struggling with his fitness after being diagnosed with Covid-19 last November. He certainly seemed to be struggling on the podium today at Hungary.... that alone seemed to be weird given I know how supremely fit all the drivers are. I mean, look at Vettell.... he completed the same race in the same conditions, had to park up on the slowdown lap, and along with Ocon both were seen running back to the pitlane for the podium celebration. Yet Lewis had to be literally given a hand to climb onto the podium.

Not only did he appear in poor condition on the podium he missed the beginning of the post-race press conference while he was attended to by a doctor.

“I had real big dizziness and everything got a bit blurry on the podium,” Hamilton explained when he later joined the press conference. “I’ve been fighting all year with staying healthy after what happened at the end of last year. It’s a battle.”

Hamilton is one of six F1 drivers to have tested positive for Covid-19. He missed the Sakhir Grand Prix last year while isolating from the rest of the paddock.

He admitted he has struggled with his health since returning to racing. “I haven’t spoken to anyone particularly about it, but I think it is lingering,” he said.

“I remember the effects of when I had it and training’s been different since then. The levels of fatigue you get is different and it’s a real challenge, as I said, so I’m just continuing to try and train and prepare the best way I can.”

He added the symptoms he experienced in Hungary were worse than what he had felt earlier in the year. “Today, who knows what it is, maybe it’s hydration, I don’t know, but I’ve definitely not had that experience,” he said. “I had something similar, in Silverstone but this is way worse.”

Other drivers who contracted Covid dont seem to have suffered in the same way. I dont want to appear to be a tree hugger basher, but I wonder if it is perhaps a spin off from his vegan diet. Feed him a steak and he will be right as rain. Actually not even a steak, just some proper food. Im not big on steaks, but if it swims or has two legs i'll eat it. :rofl:
Sounds like old age to me :haha:
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Long Covid is just the new name for Post Viral Fatigue, it’s been around for decades, it’s nothing new.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

White six wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Hamilton suspects he has Long Covid symptoms after “battle” with health

Someone needs to retire :P.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Subaru Forester

Post by Kai-Star »

White six wrote: 2 years ago

I was thinking the same thing when I started reading this. Haha.

But on a serious note, as we know, there are plenty of diseases that unfortunately do this - e.g. Ross River Fever, Glandular Fever.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

sounds like a I-don't-feel-good-about-this-championship-itis to me.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Yep, some things can live with you for a very long time. Aged 17 I had glandular fever, with hepatitis and jaundice added in for good measure. To this day I still don't feel like the person I was before I had it and that was decades ago. Who knows exactly how long the after effects of covid can go on for?
Maybe his diet is part of the issue, then again, maybe he's just unlucky.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

perhaps it also needs to be pointed out that 'people of colour' (please don't call me racist...) seem to be more susceptible for being confronted with more severe illness and after-effects.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Antonov wrote: 2 years ago perhaps it also needs to be pointed out that 'people of colour' (please don't call me racist...) seem to be more susceptible for being confronted with more severe illness and after-effects.
It is not racist to say that people who are black or asian are more susceptible to long covid or a more likely to have severe problem with it when they catch it, that is just a fact.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!