Formula One - 2021 Season

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Formula One - 2021 Season

Post by Ruslan »

Thinking about the next season. The big change is the budget cap. This actually only affects three teams: 1) Mercedes, 2) Red Bull and 3) Ferrari. On the other hand, at least three teams will be spending up to the budget cap 1) McLaren, 2) Renault and 3) Aston Martin (I assume). Now this theoretically should make them all equal but I gather Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari are already furiously working on their 2021 car....and this work is currently not under a budget cap. So they should probably maintain their edge.

A few tentative predictions:

1) Mercedes will still be the team to beat. Their only weakness is Bottas, who I think is in his last year with the team.

2) Red Bull will be close. Close enough to challenge? We will not know until the first couple of races of the year.

3) Ferrari will be partly recovered, but I think they lost two years of development with the time wasted on their engine tricks. I don’t expect them to be competitive with Mercedes and Red Bull. On the other hand, they may be best of the rest, especially if they have two effective drivers. I do think they will have the biggest problem adjusting to the budget cap. Suspect they have spent too long being Ferrari.

4) McLaren right now is looking good. Still not sure we will see a win from them this next year, but they will be getting well set up for 2022.

5) With Renault we saw real growth in the second half of the season, and finally some results from Ocon. Even with Alonso there, I don’t expect any wins but again, they may be well set up for 2022.

6) Who knows exactly how good Aston Martin will be next year. Are they going to get as much aid from Mercedes? What is the impact of their increased budget and Strolls management? The Aston Martin is a rebranding, do they gain any technical capability from it? Anyhow, two major weaknesses, a senior driver who is weirdly inconsistent and a #2 driver who really does not belong there.. They may have hobbled themselves for 2021, especially when you look at the drivers at McLaren and Renault.

7-10) Not sure I care or expect much. I gather none of them will be at the Max budget. Three are effectively junior teams and not sure where Williams is at for next year being run as a business investment.

In all reality, I think 2021 will be a building season for what I hope is a great 2022 season. I am even thinking about attending a GP or two in 2022.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Optimist!
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago Optimist!
Yea, one of my weaknesses.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Budget cap is bullshits. Put in that way it will be totally ineffective. As usual fia brings in rules that they aren’t able to enforce.
The real budget cap would be making rules that go onto a direction of much simpler cars. With some production derived components. They won’t do it. Because it’s themselves wanting f1 to be extreemely expensive
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

caneparo wrote: 3 years ago Budget cap is bullshits. Put in that way it will be totally ineffective. As usual fia brings in rules that they aren’t able to enforce.
The real budget cap would be making rules that go onto a direction of much simpler cars. With some production derived components. They won’t do it. Because it’s themselves wanting f1 to be extreemely expensive
Looked at the mercedes employees, hundreds of them on DTS. Are they really going to sack all those people? No, will be disguised as moving to other parts of the company. Not a luxury smaller teams will have.

You can see the complaints and half arsed investigations already
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Will other teams be able to mimic the DAS system, or is it being outlawed..

Ah I'll just Google it. It's banned. Good.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Good? How is removing distinction between cars good for F1?
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Michkov wrote: 3 years ago Good? How is removing distinction between cars good for F1?
Well, tbf, you could argue f2 is a great series
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Michkov wrote: 3 years ago Good? How is removing distinction between cars good for F1?
I don't know what DAS adds either.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I did see Mercedes said they had retired their 2020 car because they wouldn't be needing it anymore. Some wag quoted that then added a note telling Racing Point their next car is ready for 2021. Well I smiled anyway.

I would like to think the budget cap would work, but as I told @Ruslan before, I think the top three teams will find ways of hiding things so that it won't make a difference. I wish it would work, I just don't think it will sadly.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Star wrote: 3 years ago I did see Mercedes said they had retired their 2020 car because they wouldn't be needing it anymore. Some wag quoted that then added a note telling Racing Point their next car is ready for 2021. Well I smiled anyway.

I would like to think the budget cap would work, but as I told @Ruslan before, I think the top three teams will find ways of hiding things so that it won't make a difference. I wish it would work, I just don't think it will sadly.
Some wag? It was the Red Bull F1 twitter ;)
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago
Star wrote: 3 years ago I did see Mercedes said they had retired their 2020 car because they wouldn't be needing it anymore. Some wag quoted that then added a note telling Racing Point their next car is ready for 2021. Well I smiled anyway.

Oh, I don't follow Red Bull, so there must have been more than one person who did that joke then, or someone retweeted it and I didn't realise. :blush:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Star wrote: 3 years ago

Oh, I don't follow Red Bull, so there must have been more than one person who did that joke then, or someone retweeted it and I didn't realise. :blush:
:haha: :thumbsup:

Red Bull will henceforth be referred to as "The Wags"
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Indeed it was. In response to Mercedes F1 tweeting they were sending the W11 into rtirement with some donuts....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

White six wrote: 3 years ago
Well, tbf, you could argue f2 is a great series
Sure but if I want to watch F2 I go and watch Indycar or Super Formula they have better tracks than F2. As for F1 one of the draws for me is/was the technical aspect. Sadly that has been replaced by ever more moaning by teams whenever someone shows some smarts instead of coming up with clever solution on their own.