Formula One - 2021 Season

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago
Aty wrote: 3 years ago GP247:
Alfa Romeo technical director Jan Monchaux has confirmed that the team will bring updates to Imola, but are now turning their attention to the 2022 sporting regulations.
Quite early giving up, don't they? This of course begs a question, what's the point of participating, if year after year teams stop racing, some sooner than others, and revert their presence on the grid into development of the next season car, during ongoing (presumably) racing season? Flashing colours around circuit is enough..?
If they would run development as parallel activities to full support of current season, I would understand it, but this doesn't sounds to be a case here. The team is obviously giving up on racing in 2021, and I think this is only begging, as almost all will follow, and we may end up with actually two or three teams remaining in the game. Funny way to run the sport.
Are you new to the sport? :tongue: Seems to happen every year.
But in all seriousness, it seems to be more lip service. I think it really means the majority of the money will be spent on a new car made to the 2022 regulations while only small developments will be made on the current car. Maybe 80/20 split...
And in particular the new regulations, and the seeming increase in the practice of freezing certain areas of development, it is key for all teams to ensure they start off the new era with a car that is thoroughly thought out. A bit like the car version of the hybrid era engines.... Mercedes clearly put a lot of time development, resources,and time into ensuring they got the at the time new engine absolutely spot on. It didnt happen by throwing something together at the last moment and crossing their fingers.

I believe this sort of development process is now going to show itself in the new chassis. Of course the other aspect is with future budget caps, which will at best reduce development. Getting this process into the system this year and minimising expense on what is going to be obsolete by the end of the year makes sense. Invest the money and resources in the future

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Yes, yes, but...I came to see 20 cars racing with pedal resting on the floor for full season, and if we have to plot any strategy, as we should, it should be racing one, rather economics based. If I recall, that was a point I was trying to make.

How long I watch F1 is secondary issue. Question rather is, whether we should accept what we see without any sign of resistance.

Regarding MB's engine - from recollection, claims were made, they actually started with hybrid development in 2010, if not before (on road cars), and also had their hand on assisting FiA to write racing specs. Knowledge base was not exactly shared with rivals. Tokens - brain fade moment - in 2014 were last blow, and surely helped to make competition impotent for years. Surely a stunt of this kind should not be repeated again in any form or shape.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Bendy rear wings are being tested by FIA now. Hamilton claimed that it gave the Red Bull’s at 0.3 second advantage. So does this mean we will be seeing them slower down the straights now?

Probably won’t notice a big difference at Monaco and Azerbaijan, but after that will the Red Bull’s really be competitive with the Mercedes?
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

It's a mystery. Logically you'd think bendy wings would make the cars unstable under braking as they wobble around. Pivoting a better description?

Get some of the lead rear wings brabham used to put on when the scrutineer walked round

0.3 of a second sounds unlikely to me, but we'll see as soon as Baku.
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

The new tests sound pretty stringent, bet everyone fails ;)
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

You can make carbon parts bend anistropic so they flex under load in one direction and not the other. Build it in a way to bend backwards when the air hits it at high speed, but not when inertia carries it forwards under braking.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Nobody seemed to realise that DAS had an aerodynamic element too. Should have been banned immediately (rolly eyes)
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Some clever folks working in Red Bulls composite department.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Hmmm..... I saw the video without the reference line on it and could not really tell any difference..... with the reference line it is clear to see thaat Red Bull have done something pretty smart that is strong enough to pass a 50KG weight deflection test but deflect in real life when it is beneficial.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Could be heat induced. Only when the wind friction build up?
It could be electronically controlled (like the magnorhetic shock fluids). But that would be illegal *ahem*.

But after watching a couple times it appears to be the floor flexing or something where the wing attaches. The whole structure seems to move downward.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Also the Turkish GP is cancelled. It would replace the Canadian GP which was cancelled for obvious reasons.

Now Austria is added as replacement, so it will host two GP, just like last season. Some changes in the calendar are imminent.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago

Some clever folks working in Red Bulls composite department.
Yep...Red Bull is cheating. Thank you for the video.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Hmmm..... I saw the video without the reference line on it and could not really tell any difference..... with the reference line it is clear to see thaat Red Bull have done something pretty smart that is strong enough to pass a 50KG weight deflection test but deflect in real life when it is beneficial.
Well, they clearly designed the wing to it does not bend until there is at least 51 KG of weigh on itt. So, do you simply just increase the weight being used for the test and give them credit for a clever cheat? Is a cheat that bypasses the measurements not worthy of a penalty?

The actual rule is that you cannot have movable aerodynamic parts. From the video provided, it is clear that the rear wing is moving, and rather deliberately and to their advantage. So this is clearly a cheat, the results are measurable, and there is clear evidence that it occurred. Should FIA penalize them for this cheat? Did they use it in all four races or just the last one?
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

cheating is when you doing something that is not according the rules. F1 is not IMSA or NASCAR where they sometimes even make up rules within an hour.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Oh please fuck off with yet another Austrian grand Prix FFS

I thought at least some of this pisstaking would be toned down under dominacale, obviously I'm a mug

Just have a fucking weekend off
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Hmmm..... I saw the video without the reference line on it and could not really tell any difference..... with the reference line it is clear to see thaat Red Bull have done something pretty smart that is strong enough to pass a 50KG weight deflection test but deflect in real life when it is beneficial.
Well, they clearly designed the wing to it does not bend until there is at least 51 KG of weigh on itt. So, do you simply just increase the weight being used for the test and give them credit for a clever cheat? Is a cheat that bypasses the measurements not worthy of a penalty?
No it isn't, because the rules say you have to pass the test and it passes the test ergo it's not cheating it's clever. I dont get why people think clever problem solving is cheating, just because it is used to gain an advantage over the opposition. Isn't that the whole point of constructing your own car in F1 is about? If we'd outlaw clever thinking we might as well order 20 Dallaras, put stickers on them and call it a day..