2021 F1 Calendar

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Oh man, they're speeding up turn 6 too. That I didn't realise. Again, very ballsy.

I'm not sure I'm down with them messing with T3 though. That's a classic corner, should be grade II listed or whatever the Aussie version is.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Circuitmaster wrote: 3 years ago I'm not sure I'm down with them messing with T3 though. That's a classic corner, should be grade II listed or whatever the Aussie version is.
We're well down for tearing down our heritage buildings :P.

Don't know why they're messing with it either though.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Not quite sure what the removal of T9/T10 brings to be honest, if they are not tightening up the following fast left right. Cars are only going to arrive there faster now making following even harder. I am not sure if the tighter T13 will make up for that.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I took a drive to Albert Park today to check out what is happening over there. They are certainly digging all sorts of things up from what I could get around. Lakeside Drive (the back straight) is completely closed to traffic. A few roadblocks I managed to get round so I took a few pics.

Threw a couple of extras in..... one of the local wildlife (swamphens) which did not seem bothered by me being within a couple of feet away as they looked for food, and another just of the lake.... it really is a beautiful location.

As for the full resurface I dont think that is happening for this years race, but will probably be done affter in time for next year. If we actually have a race this year, I have my doubts given that we are still set on quarantines until at least the bulk of the population is vaccinated. The photos are pretty much in order except they start with the final turns, then the pit area followed by turn 1/2 etc. 4th pc from the end is back at the last turn looking at the pit entrance lane you can see on the right.

The last three are the end of Lakeside Drive where it starts to work its way back to the final two corners.

Anyway here are the pics. Click for larger.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Meanwhile, in Australia...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-11/ ... /100132620
Federal budget 2021 suggests international borders won't reopen until mid-next year

The federal budget paints a picture of an Australia closed off from the rest of the world, even after a full vaccination program is in place.

The international border is expected to remain closed until mid-2022 and under the assumptions laid out in the budget, a quarantine program will remain in place, limiting overseas arrivals.

Some international travel may begin sooner, but the budget papers imply a gap between when borders fully reopen and when all Australians have access to COVID-19 vaccines.
We'll see what that means for F1 and November's race...

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Singapore cancelled according to the BBC
The Singapore Grand Prix has been called off this year and Formula 1 is assessing its options to replace the race, BBC Sport can reveal.

F1 and the Singapore authorities agreed it will not be possible to hold the event in the context of immigration restrictions in the city state.

Other races later in 2021 could also fall prey to the coronavirus pandemic.

Turkey, China and a second race at Austin in the USA are all under consideration as replacements.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/57360662

It wont be the only one.

This from Mark Hughes at Motorsport Mag
November might not look anything like the provisional calendar.

Singapore, Japan, Mexico, Brazil and Australia must all have question marks against them to a greater or lesser extent, either because of how extreme their governments are in clamping down on any opportunity for the virus to spread (Singapore, Australia) or in how rampant it already is and therefore the wisdom of exposing F1 to the risk (Mexico, Brazil) or to the local public’s attitude towards thousands of foreigners arriving when they are still in the early stages of trying to control the virus (Japan). That’s five races in seven weekends which may potentially need to be replaced in that late stage of the season.
Full article
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... favour-mph

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Yeah, I honestly see both Japan and Australia as highly doubtful.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago Yeah, I honestly see both Japan and Australia as highly doubtful.
I can almost 100% certainly say Australia wont happen. We are back in a strict lockdown which has just been extended. We have been told we cant leave the country until mid 2022 at the earliest.Our vaccine rollout is behind schedule and the government is not about to back down on the need for F1 to quarantine for two weeks on arrival regardless of the fact the F1 circus travel as a bubble. They will take into account the fact that said bubble has dragged itself through some of the most infected areas on the planet. They wont allow it. Not for a motor race, and especially not when there are general elections coming up.

The shit hit the fan recently when they made special provisions to get the Aussie cricket team back (yes they had to quarantine for 14 days) from overseas, when there are still tens of thousands of Aussies stranded overseas for months, trying to rejoin their families here, but restricted by the limited number of people allowed into quarantine at the same time.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Two U.S. F1 races a possibility after Singapore cancelled

By Chris Medland | June 4, 2021 10:09 AM ET

Formula 1 could host two races in the United States this year as a replacement for the Singapore Grand Prix, which has been cancelled.

The street race in Singapore in October was called off on Friday, leaving a vacancy on the calendar on October 3. Formula 1 is looking into alternative options, and RACER understands that a second race in the United States is a possibility, with other movement expected later in the calendar.

Singapore was originally followed by Japan before the switch to Circuit of The Americas, but with further uncertainty regarding the COVID situation in Asia – as well as Mexico and Brazil, which sit immediately after COTA’s date on the current schedule – there could be a reshuffling that results in two races being held in Austin this fall.

The only other venue in the U.S. that could host a race is Indianapolis, which holds the necessary FIA Grade 1 license. When discussing the usual clash between the Monaco Grand Prix and Indy 500, F1’s managing director of motorsports Ross Brawn recently told RACER that Roger Penske’s ownership was a positive in terms of working with both IndyCar and IMS.

“And of course Indy on that side of things, is being run by an old friend of ours now in Roger Penske, and Roger’s always had an interest in Formula 1 and been involved at times in Formula 1, so there’s very real possibilities for collaborations in the future,” Brawn said.

Races in China and Turkey that were due to take place earlier this season are also in contention to be slotted into later positions, having been listed as postponed rather than cancelled completely.

“We understand that our fans were looking forward to another edition of the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix,” Colin Syn, deputy chairman of the Singapore GP said. “To cancel the event for a second year is an incredibly difficult decision, but a necessary one in light of the prevailing restrictions for live events in Singapore.

“We would not be able to deliver a full event experience fans have come to expect over the years, while safeguarding the health and safety of our fans, contractors, volunteers and staff. Ultimately, we have to be responsible, cautious and prudent as safety is our number one concern.

“We are grateful for the support of Singaporeans, stakeholders and local businesses who have helped contribute to the success of the night race. Needless to say, we look forward to the safe return of Formula 1 racing against the spectacular Marina Bay skyline.”

The race organizers add that they are in discussions with F1 regarding the event’s future.
https://racer.com/2021/06/04/two-us-f1- ... alled-off/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

A glimmer of hope for the Australian GP

But very faint and with its own what ifs.....

Australian Grand Prix bosses say they do not have to start building infrastructure at Albert Park for Formula One until September and are hopeful the three months of breathing space will work in their favour as speculation mounts that the race could be called off.

And there is hope any shortened quarantine period approved by the NSW for special events would increase the likelihood of Formula One and MotoGP races going ahead in Victoria this year. (That wont fly given the debacle that took place over the tennis open in Melbourne proved it cant work.)

What seems to be happening now though is with our latest lockdown in Melbourne people are now clamouring to get vaccinated rather than thinking 'We wont bother it isnt affecting us'. The more locals that get vaccinated the better chance of the race going ahead. All we need is to keep a steady flow of available vaccines. And that is mainly in the hands of suppliers

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Quite a good article from our "Auto Action" weekly magazine that outlines why the AGP wont / cant be held this year.....

If nothing else, the fact that F1 is scheduled to happen 2 weeks after the Brazilian GP, (Brazil being one of the most COVID infected nations on the planet will be raising red flags everywhere.

The fact that the only way it can work is if as the AGP board are requesting, is that F1 are allowed a 5 day bubble as described in the article. Post Brazil the slightest hiccup is going to be a nightmare. What this article does not make enough of it that we go into election mode after the GP, and no government wants to risk their future chance of government over a motor race.

I can hear the screams of protest now from the tens of thousands of Aussies separated from their families because they are not allowed back in. Why should a bunch of rich racing teams be allowed to wander in and out hot foot from Brazil.
WHY AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX CAN’T HAPPEN THIS YEAR
Mark Fogarty

Date posted: June 7, 2021

It’s time to call it. Amid the latest COVID crisis, the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix is unlikely to happen in November, so ditch it till next March.

Even if the latest lockdown in Melbourne finishes at the end of the week, the outlook for allowing international visitors later in the year is grim.

Victoria isn’t going to let F1 in without strict quarantine measures, which means two weeks in a hotel without movement.

The Canadian GP has already been cancelled because F1 authorities wouldn’t relent on a fortnight of isolation.

F1’s health protocols have been robust and successful, but still not enough to convince Victoria to allow an AGP ‘bubble’.

AGP organisers want F1 allowed in with strict controls, but only for a maximum five-day fly in, fly out period.

The teams would arrive on the Wednesday or Thursday and leave on the Monday after the November 18-21 event.

They would travel to and from Melbourne airport in isolation, stay in confined accommodation and be restricted to the F1 paddock at the Albert Park circuit.

Even corporate guests would be excluded from the F1 area.

But current travel restrictions make an exemption for F1 unlikely, especially as the AGP is scheduled for just two weeks after the race in Brazil, which has one of the highest rates of coronavirus infection the world.

The only real hope for the F1 AGP going ahead is if the majority of Australians are vaccinated by then, which is unlikely at the current rate.

AGP organisers will hang out until October to make a call.

But it would be more sensible to skip to March 2022, restoring the AGP to its traditional season-opening slot.

By then, the worldwide COVID situation will be much clearer and more manageable.

The virus is not going away and now is the time to call off the AGP for this year. Outbreaks will keep occurring nationwide.

November is too soon, but four months later, it is likely to be a very different scenario.

Hence accept reality now and put all the effort into ’22. An added benefit: Track upgrades and changes will be more settled by then.

Cancelling this year’s F1 AGP is going to hurt, no doubt.

But unless Spring Street approves a five-day corridor, F1 isn’t coming to Melbourne.

The odds are that the AGP won’t happen in six months, so why prolong the agony?

Call it off now and reset for March 2022. It will save everyone – primarily fans – a lot of angst.

The F1 AGP is a top five national sporting event that needs to be run without artificial restrictions.

Crowds of 50,000 a day are not unreasonable and up to 100,000 should be accepted in the wide-open spaces of the Albert Park lakeside circuit.

Before the latest outbreak, 85,000 were allowed in the confines of the MCG.

Getting on the front foot and rescheduling the F1 AGP to March ’23 – or November next year – would save a lot of government money and public uncertainty.
https://autoaction.com.au/2021/06/07/wh ... -this-year

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Looks like Mugello to replace Singapore

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP3JQBQqP-O/
According to what our editorial team has gathered, only the official press release is missing to decree the replacement of the Singapore Grand Prix with that of Mugello. The Tuscan track should in fact be back on the calendar due to the renunciation of Marina Bay. Also in 2021, therefore, our country should host three appointments.

Ph. Ferrari Media Center ©

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

I can live with that.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago I can live with that.
Yeah, must better than a double whammy at COTA

Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Good.

Are we getting the "Bahrain short" again this year? Getting confused now with all the changes.

I don't mind getting an Indy. Would be interesting to see how Pirelli screws up Michelin-style on the banking.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Picci wrote: 2 years ago Good.

Are we getting the "Bahrain short" again this year? Getting confused now with all the changes.

I don't mind getting an Indy. Would be interesting to see how Pirelli screws up Michelin-style on the banking.
They'd probably run the Indycar layout and avoid the banking.