2021 F1 Calendar

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Picci wrote: 2 years ago Good.

Are we getting the "Bahrain short" again this year? Getting confused now with all the changes.

I don't mind getting an Indy. Would be interesting to see how Pirelli screws up Michelin-style on the banking.
They'd probably run the Indycar layout and avoid the banking.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I still recall the race at Indy in 2005 thanks. There were 20 cars who qualified and only 6 that started. Michelin screwed up big time there and only the Bridgestone runners could race. Surely Pirelli can't match that mess up at any circuit, can they?

Japan still seem determined to hold the Olympics, I can't see them giving up on the race unless they have to. Well, not according to my friend in Tokyo anyway.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

The finances behind the Olympics is very different to hosting a one off race.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Can we please put to rest the myth that F1 tyres are somehow incapable of running on even a slight banking, or that Indycar tyres are somehow made of magic pixie dust so they can?

We have to remember that the Indy fiasco was brought on by a bad recon job on Michelins part that left them in the dark about the freshly ground asphalt at Indy. Bridgestone knew about it due to their affiliates supplying IRL tyres and came prepared, something Michelin would have been able to do as well. Only problem being those tyres where in France at that point. And then the whole F1 politics kicked into gear.

There is no evidence that Pirelli couldn't design tyres that withstand the minimal banking of Indy, given they have to account for Zandvoort.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Thank you @Michkov. I had been meaning to post about the politics behind the Michelin fiasco.
The fact is at the time F1 were trying to move towards to a sole supplier and Michelin, despite their wishes, was not the favoured brand for that. F1 was trying their hardest to. create a fall guy to make one of the suppliers lose interest in being an F1 supplier, preferably Michelin. I also recall that much of the circuit surface had been replaced / upgraded and with no data or hard fact knowledge of the surface Michelin were very much suffering from the mushroom theory..... kept in the dark and fed bullshit.
Bridgestone had much more recent and relevant data thanks to the alliances that they had in Indycar (as mentioned by Michkov.). Im going from what I clearly remember and had not got round to looking up some of the hard facts behind the fiasco, but am posting this just to act as support to what Michkov posted.
ISTR that the guy who ran Michelin (Edouard Michelin?) who was very much behind an F1 involvement died shortly after the Indy fiasco in a boating accident and it was shortly after his death Michelin withdrew from F1.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Turkey will take the place of Singapore on the 2021 calendar.

(really grateful for this, I dreaded the prospect of an Austin double-header)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Japanese Grand Prix to be cancelled

The Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix is set to be cancelled as concerns surrounding Covid remain in the country.
Cancellation has been rumoured for a while but now it seems confirmation is imminent.
That’s despite Japan having recently hosted the Olympic Games.

An increase in the number of COVID-19 infections has seen parts of the country declared a state of emergency while yesterday the lockdown in place in Tokyo was extended from August 31 to September 12.

“The Delta variant raging across the world is causing unprecedented cases in our country,” said Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga.

“Serious cases are increasing rapidly and severely burdening the medical system, particularly in the capital region.”

The Japanese Grand Prix is currently scheduled to take place on October 10.

Confirmation of its cancellation is expected in coming days.

Such a development throws a spanner in the works, especially when a second event at the Circuit of The Americas looks to no longer be an option.

However, there are also further restrictions in place in Travis County, the area within which the United States Grand Prix venue is located.

That’s further supported by the prospective Texas Grand Prix no longer featuring on the Circuit of The Americas website.

Options do remain for F1 organisers, however.

An event in Qatar has been tipped, and another race in Bahrain also a possibility. (Hoefully we might get the two different tracks again.

Even the Dubai Autodrome has been flagged as a potential venue should it be needed – both its Grand Prix (5.39km) and International (4.29km) variants hold an FIA Grade 1 license required to host F1.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/08/18/ja ... cancelled/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Sao Paulo Grand Prix (Formerly known as the Brazilian GP) requests date change

But not due to Covid..... all to do with money.

Currently scheduled to take place on November 7, they are hoping to push it back a week to November 14. That would see it coincide with Republic Day on the Monday after the race.

“If this request is accepted, for us, the inflow of revenue in the city and in the state increases a lot,” said Joao Doria, Sao Paulo Governor.

“We may have an expansion of 25 percent in the Formula 1 revenue in Sao Paulo.” Doria added that planning was in place for a capacity crowd, provided they wear face masks.

The Sao Paulo Grand Prix was originally scheduled for November 14 before being moved forward a week to accommodate for the Australian Grand Prix shifting from March to November.

Reverting it to its original date therefore makes sense locally however, with Mexico and Brazil both on the UK red list, it creates a difficult logistical situation (polite term for the shit hits the fan) for teams and is therefore unlikely to occur unless the Mexico City GP falls by the wayside.(UK residents who visit red listed countries must quarantine at a managed hotel for 10 days upon their return.). Turkey is also on the UK's red list so that also has to be dubious.

So at the moment we have Spa later this month, with the Dutch and Italian Grands Prix to follow in consecutive weekends.

Then a week off before Sochi hosts the Russian Grand Prix for the penultimate time in late September.

It’s then Istanbul Park’s turn, followed by Japan, however as posted earlier concerns remain over that, while Turkey as said is on the United Kingdom’s red list of countries. Then the calendar gets real sketchy in terms of the plan with North and South America very suspect.

As we forecast the rejigged calendar is set for more major rejiggy jiggy. :smiley: :whistling:

Watch this space..... :wink:

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Hey Codemasters, ask EA Sports for some more money plz
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Japanese Grand Prix to be cancelled

The Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix is set to be cancelled as concerns surrounding Covid remain in the country.
Cancellation has been rumoured for a while but now it seems confirmation is imminent.
CONFIRMED CANCELLED

Japanese Grand Prix: October race cancelled amid rise in Covid cases
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/58244344

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Well that's a shame but no unexpected I guess. My friend in Tokyo won't be happy, he was really hoping it would happen this year.

I still others will go as well yet, especially Brazil.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

It's no surprise. Japan is at the highest level of infections we have ever been. Thanks to Suga and his twat government for pushing the Olympics so hard.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mugello in frame to replace Turkey after UK red zone decision

The Istanbul race remains in doubt after the UK government decided to keep Turkey on its COVID-19 red list when the latest updates were announced on Thursday, despite strong lobbying by the country’s government. The next review of the list is not expected until September 16.

Meanwhile Mugello is being considered as a possible replacement, despite F1 previously stating that there would be no European races after the planned run of flyaway events begins with the Russian GP on September 26.

Mugello, which successfully hosted its first F1 race last September, would be a popular choice with fans, teams and drivers. However, it would have to make sense commercially for all parties, and that could yet prove to be a stumbling block.

The significance of Turkey’s red zone classification is that anyone who has been in a country on the list in the previous 10 days has to undertake a compulsory 10-day quarantine in a UK government approved hotel, at a cost of £2250 per person.

F1 does not have an exemption for red zones and does not anticipate getting one, so the ruling would affect around a thousand travelling personnel from the seven UK-based teams, the F1 organisation, the FIA, Pirelli, Honda and the media.

The original plan was for the Japanese GP to provide a “buffer” between the Turkish race on October 3 and the return to the UK, with the 10-day ruling overcome by keeping people in Japan for a few extra days after the Suzuka race weekend.

After the recent Japanese cancellation F1 remained hopeful that Turkey would come off the red zone list, thus removing any quarantine issues.

Mexico and Brazil are also on the UK red zone list, while COVID has become a serious issue in Austin, creating potential issues for all three venues.

plenty of changes will happen I am sure.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Here is the current updated timetable for the rest of the 2021 races after this weekend. They've dropped out a race so we're down to 22 instead of 23 and Qatar still has to be confirmed, but they assume it will be, though to be honest, I'm not sure it will all happen like this but at this point, who knows?

5 Sep Netherlands (Zandvoort)

12 Sep Italy (Monza)

26 Sep Russia (Sochi)

10 Oct Turkey (Istanbul Park)

24 Oct USA (Austin)

7 Nov Mexico (Mexico City)

14 Nov Brazil (Interlagos)

21 TBC (Qatar)

5 Dec Saudi Arabia (Jeddah)

12 Dec Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Just quoting this previous post for context:
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago This is not really a calendar related point, but it is in relation to changes being made to a track being used this year so here on those grounds.

CHANGES TO BE MADE TO THE ALBERT PARK TRACK

Firstly I will say these or some changes were always planned to be made to the track after this years race, in time for next years race and are directly aimed at improving the circuit for the new gen cars we expect next year. The fact that the race has been postponed until November means the best time for the work will mean it will be ready by November in time for the race.

The track will also undergo a full resurfacing for the first time since the track was first used back in 1995.

<SNIP>
Some images....

Changes to Albert Park will reduce lap times by 5 seconds.

As can be seen from the piccie above the biggest change is to T9/10 aka the Chicane. Other corners will be widened and reprofiled with the goal of promoting better racing.

The track record for the current layout is a Lewis Hamilton’s 1’20.486, set during qualifying for the 2019 race. Lap times around the mid-1’15 range are expected following the modifications, which will include a complete resurfacing of the course.

Summary of the changes:

Corner Change
1 Widened by 2.5 metres, new camber
3 Widened by four metres
6 Widened by 7.5 metres, increasing cornering speeds from 149kph to 219kph
9-10 Chicane removed, creating longest flat-out section on circuit. Possible new DRS zone
13 Entry to corner straightened, corner reprofiled and widened by 3.5 metres
15 Widened by 3.5 metres, new camber

Also the pitlane widening will increase the pit lane speed limit for shorter pit stop travel time.
There is talk of a 4th DRS zone. :omg:

Work has already started and this aerial video of the works shows the changes quite well.

This following is what I wanted to show......

Here is a photo of the newly reprofiled turn 9 at Albert Park. It looks like it is going to be a flat out section.

That turn used to be a fairly tight righthander. (I have added a track map showing the old layout to show the old profile.

One thing I also read is that it is likely to have 4 DRS zones! I thought we might be looking at fewer DRS zones with the new cars that will supposedly allow cars to follow closer.

Old track map showing how tight turn 9 / 10 was.

Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

I used to take that route through on F1 98 on playstation.