2021 F1 Calendar

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2021 F1 Calendar

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

2021 F1 Calendar

I thought that seeing as the Covid virus had such a devastating effect on this years calendar that next seasons calendar, which will potentially still bear repercussions and uncertainties as the world takes on a new norm, and some countries will no doubt be in deeper Covid implications/situations than others.

As such I am sure that the calendar will be an evolving and updating arrangement rather than a fixed one. Whether we end up as this year with sudden inclusions of unfamiliar in F1 terms venues such as Mugello, double headers etc remains to be scene.

To start the ball rolling it has been announced today that Australia is actively planning to run the Australian GP on March 13th/14th .

It is a bold plan, given we are still in the confines of a Stage 4 lockdown, with state and international borders and compulsory quarantines of 14 dys in place. The good news is that the lockdowns appear to have worked as our new infections and deaths has dropped to the lowest in several months, and talks of relaxing lockdown restrictions are in the air.

There are plans to have a spectator allowance as well, although Australia's strict COVID-safe protocols will likely mean capacity will be limited and grandstands re-positioned.

Re the International visitor bans and even Aussies returning facing compulsory quarantine, PM Scott Morrison today talked of a potential for "alternative methods" to hotel quarantine to be used for arrivals from low-risk locations. How does F1 cope with the circus travelling to somewhere like Australia in a bubble I dont know. Chartering a jumbo or two to transport them maybe.

Anyway, this is an opener for the 2021 calendar discussions I am sure more will become apparent in coming weeks.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

When will the Mongol Grand Prix be? I'll have to make travel arrangements soon...
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago When will the Mongol Grand Prix be? I'll have to make travel arrangements soon...
I suspect there will be Mongol influences in all of them.....

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I think last month Ross Brawn suggested that 2021 may see a similar calendar to 2020, which I wouldn't be totally again.

If we can get Oz, Japan and France back, then drop Russia it'd be an amazing calendar.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

This years calendar is pretty good. A repeat would not be bad. However, I would like to put USA back on. I have not seen a race live since the V6 rule has been put in place and I'd make it a priority next year.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bahrain expecting to run a GP in March 2021

We know Bahrain had a GP planned for its usual March slot earlier this year that was postponed, and the venue will now feature a back to back double-header in November / December this year (The Bahrain GP and the Sakhir GP).

Bahrain is then expecting to return to its regular March slot for the 2021 season. They have said this is posing a challenge to the circuit to host three F1 races in four months. But nothing unsurmountable.

"From what we've heard, everything is back to normal, and [F1 are] trying to do what they couldn't do in 2020," Sheikh Salman (Bahrain GP) said.

"For us, November, December, March, is three races in a few months, so that also has its challenges in marketing and all of that.

"We're excited regardless. We're going to put on a show when we can.

"We had big plans for March, and we still can decide when to do that. There are surprises which we will have."

The mind boggles..... not sure if their plans for March relate to what they had planned for this year or if they are referring to 2021.... or indeed if what they planned for 2020 will now be part of 2021. Sure it will all fall into place.

So that is both Australia and Bahrain seeming to believe that they can host their GPs in the usual pre Covid time-slots. Hopefully we wont be into the grips of some 3rd wave of Covid by then. :dunno:

Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

They should have run one season only in these two years instead of trying to cram all the races in the last four months of 2020. In any case next year we’re going to stay with the same regs. I understand the only reason this didn’t happen had something to do with promoters’ fees, contracts etc - but surely a pragmatic approach could be found?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Picci wrote: 3 years ago They should have run one season only in these two years instead of trying to cram all the races in the last four months of 2020. In any case next year we’re going to stay with the same regs. I understand the only reason this didn’t happen had something to do with promoters’ fees, contracts etc - but surely a pragmatic approach could be found?
The biggest issue was the 'need' to fulfill the TV Broadcasting deals they had in place. They had contractually been obliged to broadcast x events minimum to fulfill these needs.... the cost of failing to do so would have been a loss of hundreds of millions in TV money. On top of the lack of income from promoters, many of whom were not charged the sanctioning fees due to the rulings of no spectators, and their need to run events to have something to broadcast. The income from circuits is less than the broadcasting rights. I read in a financial review article that Liberty's income was something as low as 25 million at the time against last years 300 million at the same time of the previous year. That would have been back in August I read that.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Usually the provisional calendar is out by now but I haven't seen anything about it yet. I assume everything is still too up in the air due to the virus. They simply can't book in all the races as usual as no one knows how life will be by then.

Oh how all of our lives have changed. At this time last year no one had any idea how this year would go, but if you'd said then how different F1 would be, no one would have believed you.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Star wrote: 3 years ago Oh how all of our lives have changed. At this time last year no one had any idea how this year would go, but if you'd said then how different F1 would be, no one would have believed you.
It's good though, right? I would have to say this is the most interesting calendar in 20 years.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
Star wrote: 3 years ago Oh how all of our lives have changed. At this time last year no one had any idea how this year would go, but if you'd said then how different F1 would be, no one would have believed you.
It's good though, right? I would have to say this is the most interesting calendar in 20 years.
Other than Russia and Abu Dhabi

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
Oh you're right, it is the best calendar in a long time, what a way to get it though! It will be interesting to see how next year goes.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Provisional Calendar to be presented to teams today.

But dont expect it to be any way connected to reality it seems....

From what I can make out it will have to include all those nations with a contract, even though with no vaccine in place yet, it is believed flyaways and street circuits will not be possible still. Or some of them anyway. But they want it to reflect what it should have been this year and might (or might not) be next year. It seems that much of the calendar will be based on contract law and then playing a game of whether F1 or the Promoter is going to take the hit of inevitable cancellations. It seems like a bit of a pointless exercise at the moment, if it is going to be that far from reality.

I can see why Chase Carey bailed on running Liberty. How will Stefano Domenicali handle the situation. We dont know what the situation will be like next week lesser still next month and next year!

Given the current trends of Covid infection in Europe and other countries I see another year of at best closed door events. It seems that whatever is presented to the teams will be far from what might be reality.

The bubble thing clearly worked to allow a calendar at all, but given the current increases in infections can a bubble still be effective. We have seen cases of those exploiting loopholes in the system, and we have seen cases of it seems many teams with behind the scenes infections. (ie Mercedes having to bring in late substitute team members to replace those not allowed to enter the bubble due to testing positive.

I have to say I quite enjoyed the variety of this year, with the exception of repeat events at tthe same track.... but maybe that is better than some of the original tracks. Hopefully regardless of what is on the provisional calendar we end up with the likes of Mugello and Portimao.

**One thing I will say on this year is that IMHO Liberty did a good job in the circumstances in putting up a calendar of the number of rounds we got even though some were repeats. Looking back to what we were looking at in April or May I was worried the season would be a write off with next to nothing on. So kudos to Liberty and those involved for getting us something.**

This was on Autosport Plus so knowing some dont have access:
The provisional 2021 Formula 1 world championship schedule will be formally presented to the teams in a virtual meeting of the F1 Commission today.

F1 CEO Chase Carey has long made it clear that he wants next year to closely resemble the originally planned 2020 calendar, which subsequently underwent huge changes in the wake of COVID-19, with a planned start in Melbourne in March.

However, with no sign of a vaccine there's clearly a strong chance some races that were cancelled this year - especially street events and those outside Europe - will ultimately be called off once again.

The complication is that for legal and political reasons F1 is obliged to put contracted events on the provisional calendar even if logic suggests that they are unlikely to happen.

This year's cancellations involved complex negotiations over who made the final call, and where the responsibility for any decision lay.

An extreme example of that was seen recently when the Vietnam Grand Prix organisers only formally confirmed the cancellation of their 2020 race several weeks after a final schedule was issued by F1.

Racing Point team principal Otmar Szafnauer would prefer to see a draft 2021 calendar that more accurately reflects what is likely to happen.

"We're going to have that discussion tomorrow [Monday]," he said when asked about the outlook for the 2021 F1 calendar by Autosport. "But my preference is that we have a realistic calendar. Now I know it's hard to predict the future with what's going on.

"I don't think we can predict a month from now, I don't know where the world is going to be in a month, and in late November with the virus spreading like it is in Europe, and in some other places, North America.

"And then the other thing I don't know is, I keep reading about a few vaccines that are looking promising and are well into the phase three trials. When will that come out?

"I don't know those things. So it's hard to predict. However, I would rather have a realistic one than an optimistic one, so we can plan. But I just don't know what realistic means."

Szafnauer said he would press F1 bosses in today's meeting: "I will ask the question, 'In your mind, what do you think the probability or the likelihood is of us actually having this as a calendar? Is the probability low? Do we not also have a back-up?' So we can plan better.

"But then maybe the calendar that we're shown will be realistic, and we'll have a discussion."

McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl remains hopeful that the series can return to a "normal" schedule in 2021.

"To be honest we first have to wait for what we will see tomorrow, what F1 will present us," Seidl said when asked by Autosport for his expectations for next year's F1 calendar.

"It was a challenging year this year, something we have never experienced before. And I still think that F1 together with us handled this quite well, because we thought in April or May that we hopefully have a season with up to 17 races this year. And I have a lot of trust that F1 will do the right thing also for next year.

"And of course the situation is quite dynamic. At the same time I think it's also important to keep some positivity up, and hopefully we can then have a more normal race calendar again next year."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15309 ... r-to-teams

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

F1 set for 23-race calendar in 2021 featuring new Saudi Arabia race

Notable changes are that Interlagos is out, and the new Rio Circuit is in..... obviously Lewis bleating with his "Think about the trees" rant didnt work. That might not happen as Lewis is not the only enviro type having a whinge about it.

Also Zandvoort moves to an Autumn fixture. Also a new race in Saudi. :nah: And the event in Vietnam that did not happen this year.The teams hate triple headers due to the strain it puts on them. F1 said ok no triple headers...... so we have a triple header of Singapore Sochi and Suzuka. Just so they can squeeze the extra event at Abu Dhabi in. Another venue famous for dodgy human rights (See latest news of 13 Aussie women in transit medically strip searched just because)

No Mugello, No Portimao, and no back up plans in pllace for any ongoing Covid mess.

Oh and testing will be split between Barca and Bahrain.
Formula 1 is set to stage a 23-race calendar in 2021, featuring two triple-headers and adding Saudi Arabia as the Dutch Grand Prix moves to an autumn date.

After the 2020 schedule was heavily revised as 13 races were cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, F1 has been clear in its plan to run a calendar next season that is closer to normal.

Teams were handed a first draft of the schedule in an F1 Commission meeting on Monday, featuring all 10 competitors as well as officials from F1 and the FIA.

The provisional calendar for 2021 features 23 races, adding a grand prix in Saudi Arabia to the existing 22 rounds that were planned for this year.

The 2021 F1 season is scheduled to start in Australia on 21 March, followed by the Bahrain Grand Prix one week later.

A two-week gap will follow before the Chinese Grand Prix on 11 April, with the inaugural Vietnam Grand Prix set to be held two weeks after that.

One of the biggest changes from the planned schedule in 2020 is a shift of the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort to an autumn date slot.

The race had been due to open the European season at the start of May this year, but will now form part of a European triple-header with the Belgian Grand Prix and the Italian Grand Prix after the summer break.

It means the Spanish Grand Prix returns to its traditional status as the first European race of the year, taking place on 9 May before Monaco on 23 May.

Azerbaijan will maintain is planned switch to a June slot from 2020, pairing up with the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, before the regular run of European events in France, Austria, Great Britain and Hungary, the latter hosting the final race before the summer break on 1 August.

The dates for the second half of the calendar remain fluid, but there is set to be a second triple-header formed by the races in Singapore, Russia and Japan.

Although the eventual 2020 calendar featured four triple-headers, including a run of nine races in 11 weeks to start the season, teams had warned running races on three straight weekends could not become the norm in the future.

F1 first attempted a triple-header in 2018, running races in France, Austria and Great Britain on consecutive weekends, but had agreement from teams not to do so again due to the pressures it placed on personnel.

By forming a triple-header with Singapore, Sochi and Suzuka, F1 has created an extra one-week gap in the calendar for the event in Saudi Arabia to join the schedule, with a street race in Jeddah planned for late in the season.

It will see F1 become the latest major international series to stage an event in Saudi Arabia following similar moves in Formula E - which has hosted its last two season openers in Diriyah - as well as sports such as boxing and football.

The race is set to mark a first move into Saudi Arabia for F1 amid plans to construct a new circuit in Qiddiya on the outskirts of Riyadh in the future.

The Brazilian Grand Prix is set to move to Rio de Janeiro for 2021, although the race is currently subject to pressure from environmental groups over the plans to build the circuit.

Despite concerns about the viability of some events due to the uncertain nature of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, F1 has not officially informed teams of any potential back-up races as it hopes to stick to the planned schedule.

Pre-season testing is also set for a shake-up, with at least one test moving from Barcelona to Bahrain next March prior to the season-opener in Australia.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15311 ... ar-in-2021

This is a list of what that spells. Autosport couldnt get that together.

Predicted* 2021 Formula 1 calendar

Rnd Event Date
1 Australian Grand Prix 21 March, 2021
2 Bahrain Grand Prix 4 April, 2021
3 Chinese Grand Prix 18 April, 2021
4 Vietnamese Grand Prix 25 April, 2021
5 Spanish Grand Prix 9 May, 2021
6 Monaco Grand Prix 23 May, 2021
7 Azerbaijan Grand Prix 6 June, 2021
8 Canadian Grand Prix 13 June, 2021
9 French Grand Prix 27 June, 2021
10 Austrian Grand Prix 4 July, 2021
11 British Grand Prix 18 July, 2021
12 Hungarian Grand Prix 1 August, 2021
13 Saudi Arabia Grand Prix 15 August, 2021
14 Dutch Grand Prix 29 August, 2021
15 Belgian Grand Prix 5 September, 2021
16 Italian Grand Prix 12 September, 2021
17 Singapore Grand Prix 26 September, 2021
18 Japanese Grand Prix 3 October, 2021
19 Russian Grand Prix 10 October, 2021
20 United States Grand Prix 24 October, 2021
21 Mexico City Grand Prix 31 October, 2021
22 Brazilian Grand Prix 14 November, 2021
23 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 28 November, 2021
* dates have not been confirmed

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Last time I checked Rios circuit hasn't even started the building process. 13 months is a tad short to clear landmines and build a track.

Saudi Arabia would be a street circuit from what I saw, with a purpose build track for 2022 on.

Then again I'm fairly certain that calendar will be pruned by the plague again. What I find odd is that there hasn't even been mention of a contingency plan. I find it hard to believe FOM dont have one.