McLaren now in financial strife.**Update Sells 33% of Racing Team to US Investor**

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I complained yesterday of the lack of media coverage re McLaren.... all of a sudden it is written about in Autosport. It seems that McLaren has been successful in fastracking the court action through the courts.... the court action being their claim to be within their rights to in effect double dip their assets in their move to secure the loans it needs to survive the year. It highlights the proposals they are making to justify their application.

It all seems a little tenuous, if not a tad reeking of dodgy practices,. but I guess if their survival revolves around it then it is worth a try.....

I know many cannot access Autosport reports so here it is. It does go into the reasons for their actions.
McLaren takes legal action in battle for urgent refinancing of F1 team

The McLaren Group has successfully applied for legal action to be fast tracked in the UK courts in a battle for urgent refinancing it needs to prevent a cash shortfall.

The action concerns existing security held over the Woking facilities and the collection of heritage McLaren racing cars in relation to a previously issued bond.

In essence McLaren wants that security released so some of its key assets can be used to raise around £280m via "proposed transactions" that it already has in place.

Those proposed transactions include McLaren selling its properties and leasing them back from the new owners, and selling "certain" heritage cars to an outsider.

An alternative proposal for the heritage cars is to sell them to a newly-created subsidiary within the McLaren Group, which would then be able to obtain an asset-backed loan from a third party.

However, thus far, the existing security on the properties and cars has not been released, and McLaren has not been able to proceed with its plans.

In an attempt to have it released, McLaren Holdings filed a claim in the UK High Court on 8 June against UK Bank Trustees Ltd, which is described in court documents as a "Security Agent under the Group's existing financing arrangements (...) as trustee for various financial creditors of the Group".

McLaren's claim is that the security has to be released under certain circumstances, and that the company is "responsible for certifying whether the prescribed circumstances exist".

McLaren further explains that an "ad hoc group of creditors (including hedge funds and distressed debt investors) holding a beneficial interest in two series of notes issued by the Group (the "Ad Hoc Noteholders") have claimed that it would be unlawful for the Security Agent to release the Transaction Security.

"Indeed, they have recently threatened to sue the Security Agent for breach of duty if the release sought by the Company is granted.

"This threat has placed the Security Agent in an invidious position and has jeopardised the Company's urgent efforts to raise new money."

McLaren says that those noteholders have rejected the proposed transactions, and want to pursue their own, and "are seeking to create a situation in which the Group has no choice but to accept their alternative financing proposal (on terms dictated by them), regardless of the impact on the Group's other creditors and its stakeholders".

Timing is crucial, and McLaren is concerned about "a long and drawn-out trial which would take a significant amount of time to resolve", adding: "The tactics of the Ad Hoc Noteholders therefore appear to be designed to create a situation in which the Group runs out of time and is forced to abandon the Proposed Transactions."

McLaren's arguments in favour of a speedy resolution indicate just how urgent the need is for new financing.

It noted that "whilst the Group has sufficient liquidity to meet its obligations as and when they fall due in the very short term, further liquidity is required to be made available by no later than 17 July 2020", and that "additional liquidity of approximately £280 million would be sufficient for the Group to be able to support its operations into 2021".

It added: "This state of affairs is not the fault of the Group. Rather, it has been caused by the COVID-19 pandemic - which has wreaked havoc on the UK economy and threatened the livelihoods of millions of people and the viability of many businesses.

"The Proposed Transactions will enable the Group to access the additional liquidity that is required to ensure that the Group can continue as a going concern into 2021."

In a remote hearing held last Friday, Judge Anthony Mann noted that the timing was "ambitious" but agreed that a speedy resolution was essential, with a trial starting on 2 July.

The legal case follows on from the news that McLaren is considering selling a stake of its Formula 1 team.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15011 ... ing-battle

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
Ian-S wrote: 3 years ago It's the huge overheads I don't understand, don't they own their own manufacturing plant or do they rent the dam thing? A company the size of McLaren should own everything.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg, if Covid teaches us anything, it'll be who was running their businesses properly and not leviging it to the hilt for finance, it's kind of the first rule of business that it has to be profitable, seems to me that McLaren has never made a penny and whoever is running it has forgotten that they have to make money to pay the bills rather than relying on some Saudi prince.
I think they mortgaged it / used it as security to obtain money to pay off /buy back Ron's shares when the split/settlement happened.
Still gotta question who was behind that, since the rest of the world has been given a repayment holiday on their loans.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Bloody Hell. Now my brain is getting totally confused by all the shenanigans over McLaren future funding, asset management and continuance....
They are now trying to get what seems to me to be an urgent extra loan to help them through short term needs whilst trying to get a bigger/better terms loan to deal with the future, which seems to be awaiting the court decision re their use of the same assets for multiple loans.
And they are trying to get it from the Bank of Bahrain. Who happen to be owned by Mumtalakat, who in turn own over 60% of McLaren. :huh: :dunno:
McLaren set to arrange loan with Bahrain national bank

The McLaren Group looks set to arrange a loan from the National Bank of Bahrain (NBB) as it seeks the finances to address an urgent cash shortfall.

The move would allow the company to obtain at least the first stage of the required refinancing from a "friendly" organisation that shares a significant part of its ownership with McLaren itself.

The NBB is 44% owned by the Mumtalakat Holding Company, Bahrain's sovereign wealth fund, which also owns 56% of McLaren. A loan between the two parties would be on more favourable terms than those available on the financial markets.

Court documents have indicated that McLaren is seeking £280m, and that new funding is required by mid-July as the impact of the COVID-19 crisis hits the company hard.

McLaren Holdings recently launched a legal action in order to free up its Woking properties and collection of historic cars to help raise cash via mortgages, or a sale of the latter.

The company has several options open, using both the properties and the car collection. However thus far any move has been blocked by a group of bondholders who have security over the key assets, and don't want to release them to be used to raise new funding.

They have their own plan to provide McLaren with a loan, but on terms that are not acceptable to the company.

McLaren noted that the bond holders "are seeking to create a situation in which the Group has no choice but to accept their alternative financing proposal (on terms dictated by them), regardless of the impact on the Group's other creditors and its stakeholders."

Last week a judge agreed to fast track a trial through the UK courts starting on 2 July as McLaren seeks to release its assets and proceed with its own plans to raise cash.

It's understood that the NBB loan, first reported by Sky News, could potentially happen in the short term, and without that legal action first proving successful. In effect the Bahrain connections mean that it won't necessarily be a requirement that the properties and heritage cars are released and available as security.

A McLaren spokesperson declined to comment on the latest developments.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15014 ... ional-bank

In a nutshell they seem to not like the terms of the loans they want.... terms which no doubt take into account the double dipping of assets acting as collateral across multiple loans. Seems to me that the source of the loans is seeking its just deserts for providing loans to an already over committed McLaren, who have no guarantees their trading issues in any of its markets (F1 and Supercars) are going to improve to a stage where they might be able to service the debt they are incurring.

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Good old sports-washing, where would F1 be without it?
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Too bad there's so much of all sorts of extraneous drama and so little racing in the sport of auto racing these days. :(
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago Bloody Hell. Now my brain is getting totally confused by all the shenanigans over McLaren future funding, asset management and continuance....
They are now trying to get what seems to me to be an urgent extra loan to help them through short term needs whilst trying to get a bigger/better terms loan to deal with the future, which seems to be awaiting the court decision re their use of the same assets for multiple loans.
And they are trying to get it from the Bank of Bahrain. Who happen to be owned by Mumtalakat, who in turn own over 60% of McLaren. :huh: :dunno:
McLaren set to arrange loan with Bahrain national bank

The McLaren Group looks set to arrange a loan from the National Bank of Bahrain (NBB) as it seeks the finances to address an urgent cash shortfall.

The move would allow the company to obtain at least the first stage of the required refinancing from a "friendly" organisation that shares a significant part of its ownership with McLaren itself.

The NBB is 44% owned by the Mumtalakat Holding Company, Bahrain's sovereign wealth fund, which also owns 56% of McLaren. A loan between the two parties would be on more favourable terms than those available on the financial markets.

Court documents have indicated that McLaren is seeking £280m, and that new funding is required by mid-July as the impact of the COVID-19 crisis hits the company hard.

McLaren Holdings recently launched a legal action in order to free up its Woking properties and collection of historic cars to help raise cash via mortgages, or a sale of the latter.

The company has several options open, using both the properties and the car collection. However thus far any move has been blocked by a group of bondholders who have security over the key assets, and don't want to release them to be used to raise new funding.

They have their own plan to provide McLaren with a loan, but on terms that are not acceptable to the company.

McLaren noted that the bond holders "are seeking to create a situation in which the Group has no choice but to accept their alternative financing proposal (on terms dictated by them), regardless of the impact on the Group's other creditors and its stakeholders."

Last week a judge agreed to fast track a trial through the UK courts starting on 2 July as McLaren seeks to release its assets and proceed with its own plans to raise cash.

It's understood that the NBB loan, first reported by Sky News, could potentially happen in the short term, and without that legal action first proving successful. In effect the Bahrain connections mean that it won't necessarily be a requirement that the properties and heritage cars are released and available as security.

A McLaren spokesperson declined to comment on the latest developments.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15014 ... ional-bank

In a nutshell they seem to not like the terms of the loans they want.... terms which no doubt take into account the double dipping of assets acting as collateral across multiple loans. Seems to me that the source of the loans is seeking its just deserts for providing loans to an already over committed McLaren, who have no guarantees their trading issues in any of its markets (F1 and Supercars) are going to improve to a stage where they might be able to service the debt they are incurring.
Makes sense to me - in simple terms they are bypassing issuance of bonds or diluting their shareholding and instead are getting a cash injection by their own parent company. It’s not dissimilar to a government bailing out a bank in a crisis.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I see they are also talking of selling the MTC property, and then leasing it back. That to me shows how little liquidity in terms of operating funds they have available currently. As has been highlighted not all of their problems are caused by the Covid virus. Certainly the motor racing side has been affected by the cancellation and late start to the F1 season and the reduction of sponsorship income that would go with not meeting exposure obligations on TV etc, but their main issue is with the road cars.... they have dug themselves into a grave with the constant introduction of new models, guaranteeing trade in values to owners that the market and a belief that they are going to sell thousands of cars in an already oversubscribed supercar market. Apparently they have had issues with quality and reliability not being to a satisfactory level expected by supercar buyers not being to the level expected.

A lot of their strategies seem to be based on meeting huge sales forecasts which are in real terms not achievable.

I hope they survive, but fer that with all this loans should they obtain them, are going to become a huge repayment schedule that a company suffering from a diminished market is a dangerous path to tread.

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Picci wrote: 3 years agoMakes sense to me - in simple terms they are bypassing issuance of bonds or diluting their shareholding and instead are getting a cash injection by their own parent company. It’s not dissimilar to a government bailing out a bank in a crisis.
What? :haha:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

McLaren secure short term £150 million loan with the Bank of Bahrain

McLaren has agreed a £150 million loan arrangement with the National Bank of Bahrain to ease short-term cash flow problems which could have impacted its Formula 1 operation.

But the loans is only for £150 mill..... they said they needed £280mill by July 17th, so they have just under three weeks to secure the balance. I guess with the £150 mill in their bag now it might delay that mid July deadline, and the balance I guess will be dependant on their upcoming court action to allow them to use their assets to secure multiple loans as outlined previously in the thread.

It gives an idea just how much crap they are in when £150 million only acts as a 60% deposit for what you really need to be able to trade into next year without becoming insolvent.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

McLaren sell 30% of racing team

Earlier in the year McLaren said they were looking to sell a significant minority share in the race team to help it through lean times the Group was facing. It has been announced on their website today that they have agreed to sell 33% of the Racing operation for a sum of 200 million Euros to an American company called MSP. Sports Capital.... So that values 1/3 of McLaren as the same as the whole of the Williams team.

The McLaren deal clearly does not involve any of the factory.... the group have already flogged that and have leased in back, or is in the process of, to secure some cash to repay loans given by the Bank of Bahrain to help it survive this year.

MSP Sports Capital is an American sports investment group. The organization has a significant influence on the McLaren Formula 1 team. They have joined forces and signed a long-term agreement with the aim of helping bring McLaren back to the top and growing as a global franchise. MSP Sports Capital will invest 185 million British pounds (more than 200 million euros) in the team. This initially accounts for 15 percent of the shares. This will increase to 33 percent by the end of 2022.

From the McLaren website
Group investment release 2020
McLaren Group announces new investment in McLaren Racing
• US sports investment group MSP Sports Capital acquires significant minority shareholding in McLaren Racing
• Introduction of partner capital and expertise forms part of the Group’s ongoing strategy
• Transaction values McLaren Racing at £560m post-money, and strengthens team’s long-term plan for regular Formula 1 championship contention
• Reaffirms team’s position at the heart of McLaren Group

McLaren Group announced today that it has signed a deal to attract significant new long-term investment into McLaren Racing led by MSP Sports Capital, the US-based sports investment group, to help drive its plan to return to the top in Formula 1 and continue its growth as a global sports franchise. MSP is co-investing with its strategic partners UBS O’Connor, LLC. and The Najafi Companies.

MSP Sports Capital is a diversified sports investment group with strategic stakes in properties at the intersection of global media rights, distribution technologies, content creation, sponsorship, esports, betting, and data. MSP Sports Capital’s principals are experienced, well-known figures in the sports industry, as owners, investors and operators in Major League Baseball (MLB), National Basketball Association (NBA), ESPN, and sports management.

The transaction will see MSP Sports Capital acquire a significant minority shareholding in the team, with McLaren Group remaining the majority shareholder. MSP Sports Capital will invest a total of £185m into McLaren Racing, acquiring an initial 15% stake that will increase to a maximum of a 33% shareholding by the end of 2022. The transaction values McLaren Racing at £560m, post-money.

CEO Zak Brown has committed to McLaren Racing for the long term and his leadership team continues in place. Paul Walsh will sit as chairman of McLaren Racing, while Jahm Najafi and Shaikh Mohammed bin Essa Al Khalifa will become vice-chairmen. As part of the transaction, Jeff Moorad of MSP Sports Capital and Rodrigo Trelles Zabala of UBS O’Connor are appointed to the board of directors of McLaren Racing, alongside Sultan Ojjeh and Will Griffiths of McLaren Group.

Luxury supercar maker McLaren Automotive remains wholly-owned by the McLaren Group and is not part of this transaction.

Paul Walsh, Executive Chairman, McLaren Group, commented:

“The partnership we are announcing today represents another important step in our proactive strategy to position McLaren Group for long-term success. Bringing partner capital and expertise into McLaren Racing will support the team’s return to the front of the grid and further strengthen our financial position.

“The fact that we have attracted a strategic investor of MSP Sports Capital’s calibre is testament to the unique history and exciting prospects of McLaren Racing. The business remains part of the McLaren Group and we look forward to working with MSP Sports Capital to deliver the next chapter of growth and success.”

Zak Brown, CEO, McLaren Racing, commented:

“This investment represents a key moment in the progress of McLaren Racing. MSP Sports Capital is first and foremost a sports investor. They know the market and their team has considerable experience and proven success in global sports properties. They are a partner as much as a shareholder, with the ability to leverage their network and knowledge for the long-term benefit of McLaren Racing.

“This new investment bolsters our plan to return McLaren to contention for race wins and championships in Formula 1 and IndyCar, and will strengthen our positive momentum as we continue to focus relentlessly on our mission to return to the top of the podium.”

Jeff Moorad, Principal at MSP added:

“We’re excited about the opportunity to support Zak Brown and his management team and to help grow the McLaren Racing brand. We’re committed to assist the team in accomplishing its objective of returning to the front of the grid.”

Jahm Najafi, Principal of MSP and Chairman/CEO of The Najafi Companies said:

“As a partner in MSP, I am delighted that The Najafi Companies has significantly increased our support of MSP and its investment in McLaren. This investment reflects the strength of our relationship, as well as the confidence we have in the McLaren Racing team platform. I am delighted to accept the role of vice-chairman and look forward to contributing to the growth and success of McLaren Racing.”
https://www.mclaren.com/group/news/arti ... 0franchise.

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

So no longer just a Bahraini team....now a Bahraini-American team. Who is MSP Capital and why would they invest in McLaren? Their principals appear to be Jahm Najafi and Jeff Moorad.

Najafi wikipedia page is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahm_Najafi

Hightlights:
1. Iranian-American
2. Part owner of the Phoenix Suns (basketball)
3. Does not seem to have a background in racing.
4. His wife also has a Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahm_Najafi
5. They live in Phoenix (the return of the Phoenix Grand Prix?).

Jeff Moorad also has a Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Moorad

Highlights:
1. Again no background in racing.
2. Background as a sports agent and investor.
3. CEO Arizona Diamondbacks (baseball)
4. CEO San Diego Padres (baseball)
5 "In 2019, Moorad along with partners Jahm Najafi, Arne Rees and Steve Wasserman, formed MSP Sports Capital, a sports investment company that targeted equity and debt investments in properties at the intersection of sports, global media rights, distribution technologies, content creation, sponsorship, esports, better and data. MSP is headquartered in New York City."
6. Technical consultant for the film Jerry McGuire and For Love of the Game.
7. Lives in Newport Beach, CA.

MSP Sports Capital
1. In July 2019 acquired GD Estoril Praia (soccer)
2. September 2019 acquired AD Alcorcon (soccer)
3. Just bought significant minority state in McLaren, with Moorad being named to its board of directors.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago So no longer just a Bahraini team....now a Bahraini-American team. Who is MSP Capital and why would they invest in McLaren?
I would imagine that to an extent they have been sucked in by Zak Brown's key skill.... his way with investors / sponsors is where he has made his millions. He has a skill in over presenting fact in a credible way. (some might call it bullshitting skill)

I see it as no coincidence the deal was struck or signed off on the day. McLaren secured 3rd in the WCC and the tens of millions that go with it. I am sure Zak has presented McLaren as a cash cow nd future WCC with a suberb driving line up going into next year, and how with a bit of investment to plough into next years car, Mercedes engines blah blah blah.

He has no doubt failed to let them know that Mercedes are going nowhere in the short term, and Red Bull will still be a force next year (im sure Zak told them that Red Bull will be dead without works Honda assistance). I am sure he has positioned Macca as the next coming and undoubtedly future champions. I bet he also played down the fact that Ferrari will be back in the picture sooner or later, Renault are showing great improvement and have a capable line up next year.

Edit: I posted this and then immediately saw a comment from the sensible man in McLaren, Andreas Seidl, and he has downplayed the chance of them beating Red Bull and Merc, admitting there is still a huge gap! (Bullshit v sensibibilty, where I think the Engineering bloke is downplaying the future and the Marketing man is playing it up!)

For McLaren F1. it is great that they will have the money to continue in a time where the McLaren Group per se are in deep shit. The team wont be able to get any money out of the group. McLaren cars are on a hiding to nothing in my view. They have not played the supercar market well, and it is biting them hard. They are approaching the market in my view like a Japanese market into family cars.
In Super/Hyper car territiry manufacturers launch cars with a long term launch pattern.... Ferrari dont release a completely new car or cars every year, nor Lambo etc etc. They might hone and update but not replace. That ensures they dont depreciate by becoming obsolete evry year or so. McLaren on the other hand have new models every year.... depreciation hits McLaren's hard on the resale market because there is a new model on the block. That sort of thing is fine for a small Jap hatch or sedan, which sell in their tens of thousands. Not for expensive machines. People in SUpercars dont want to be looked at with an, "Oh you only have the old / superseded model....." :wink:

Anyway McLaren th road cars is not the topic of this thread so I wont linger. Their car programme is bringing the group down and the F1 team needs constant income to develop and build.

Of course maybe MSP see the F1 team as being a potential fire sale if the Group continue to bleed money, having to flog their assetts (ie their factory which they now lease to raise survival money). What we do know is that MSP are not in it because they love F1 / Motor Racing. They are in it as an investor seeking to make money out of it.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago So that values 1/3 of McLaren as the same as the whole of the Williams team.
Makes you wonder what you could achieve if you bought Williams and had the remaining 2/3rds left to invest in improving it.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

A long time since we have heard a McLaren Mercedes......

McLaren Merc is the first new car to officially fire up.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I am so out of touch with these little changes that I didn't even know McLaren were going back to Mercedes power this year.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Things are improving.... McLaren (racing division) only lost £71 million in 2019 (v. £85 mill in 2018) :omg:
McLaren Racing has reported a reduced loss in the latest accounts for the group’s division which includes its Formula 1 team.

The racing division lost £71.4 million in 2019, when it finished fourth in the world championship, down from £84.4 million the year before. Its turnover rose by more than £60m to £185m.

The team began the year with a shake-up at the top of its F1 operation which included the appointments of Andreas Seidl as team principal and James Key as technical director. McLaren also hired an all-new driver line-up: Carlos Sainz Jnr and Lando Norris arrived to replace Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne.

As part of wider changes in the business McLaren Racing also took over marketing arm McLaren Marketing and licensing company Team McLaren at the beginning of 2019.

As in 2018 the racing division offloaded some of its heritage cars, bringing in £6.7 million. It sold more of its old chassis to McLaren Services during 2020.

The disruption caused to the 2020 championship by the Covid-19 pandemic presented significant financial challenges for many teams, including McLaren. It negotiated a £150 million loan from the National Bank of Bahrain before the postponed season began in July. In December it announced major new investment from MSP Sports Capital, bringing a further £150 million into the business, allowing it to clear its inter-company debt.

McLaren’s 2020 championship result should bring further financial benefits to the team in the shape of an increased share of F1’s prize money. Its third place in the constructors championship last season was the team’s best result since 2012.
https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/12/mcl ... s-in-2019/