Alex Zanardi critical after handbike accident

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Alex Zanardi critical after handbike accident

Post by caneparo »

https://www.gazzetta.it/Paralimpici/19- ... 5657.shtml

Google translator translation

Alex Zanardi was involved in a road accident in the province of Siena, during one of the stages of the relay of Obiettivo tricolore, a journey that sees the participants among Paralympic athletes in handbikes, bikes or Olympic wheelchairs. The accident occurred along the highway 146 in the municipality of Pienza. From what has been learned, a heavy vehicle is involved. A helicopter rescue was brought to the scene to transfer Zanardi to the hospital.
Last edited by caneparo 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

Italian press report he’s in very critical conditions

I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

OMG> Not again.
Hopefully he has the strength to fight for his life again. Hopefully it is not as serious as it sounds. :fingers: :fingers:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

From the first reconstructions it seems that Zanardi, during a stretch he was going downhill in a half-bent to the right, lost control of the vehicle, slipping in the opposite lane where a truck was arriving. The former Formula 1 driver and Paralympic champion was subsequently transported to the Le Scotte di Siena hospital in code 3, where his conditions, after the first checks, would have been defined as serious. From what he learned, the pilot would report a polytrauma.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

"Alex Zanardi, car driver, paracyclist and TV presenter, was hospitalized in very serious conditions at the polyclinic Santa Maria alle Scotte. He was involved in a road accident in the province of Siena. Zanardi was transported with the Pegaso helicopter and landed at the hospital in Siena at 18.00. He was immediately taken care of by the emergency room professionals, assessed in the shock room and his conditions are very serious due to the severe head injury and is currently undergoing a delicate neurosurgery. "The clinical bulletin, issued just before 8 pm, takes stock of Zanardi's condition, the victim of a serious accident with his handbike in the province of Siena.
THE PICTURE - On the scene of the accident, which took place in the municipality of Pienza, the helicopter arrived to transfer Zanardi to the hospital. From the first reconstructions it seems that Alex, during a stretch that was going downhill in a half-bent to the right, lost control of the vehicle, sliding in the opposite lane where a truck was arriving. Alex, after beating his head, ended up against the truck, which failed to avoid the impact. The former Formula 1 driver and Paralympic champion was subsequently transported to the Le Scotte hospital in Siena. From what has filtered out from the hospital, the trauma to the doctors who are assisting him immediately were head injury and very serious injuries to the head.

THE TESTIMONY— "Twenty minutes passed from the accident to the rescue, but it took a long time to put him on, his wife assisted him. But after the accident he spoke. I don't know about the ambulance. " Mario Radio Valentini, technical commissioner of the national Paracycling team, tells the incident to Alex Zanardi at Radio Capital. "There is a long straight downhill, at 4%, they say he boarded and took a trailer truck on the front pillar. The trailer truck moved one meter but took it the same. I wasn't there, I was detached. It was a sunny day, all happy, we were 20 km from Montalcino. The truck was not wrong, Alex was wrong, he embarked. On the way up I showed him the orange drink, he yelled at me a little! He was joking, and going slowly downhill, it wasn't a great descent, and then there was the straight, at the entrance of the curve he changed his trajectory. And he made a risky move. He took the post where the drivers climb with the lever of the left crank, he turned two or three times, the helmet did not stand up, he jumped. It took to get the helicopter to arrive, we are in the middle of a forest and they had to move it. " According to Valentini "cycling is over, the accident is in the head, but he has seven spirits like cats."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Just read in another article thay Alex remained conscious until medical personnel arrived, and that he was breathing by himself.
Thankfully it seems he is not listed as critical, or fighting for his life.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago Just read in another article thay Alex remained conscious until medical personnel arrived, and that he was breathing by himself.
Thankfully it seems he is not listed as critical, or fighting for his life.
Unfortunately the fact he was conscious doesn’t mean he is not serious. The medical bullettin said that he is currently receving a delicate head surgery to help reducing the serious injures
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

F**K :sorrow:
Hopefully he pulls through, such a wonderful man deserves to be around much, much longer.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Fucking hell. Alex is one of my favourite humans, and I really hope he pulls through without complications. He's a true fighter, and if anybody can come through this is Alex.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

Update

"Regarding the clinical conditions of Alex Zanardi, hospitalized in very serious conditions at the Santa Maria alle Scotte polyclinic due to a road accident occurred in the province of Siena, the Health Directorate of the Aou Senese informs that the neurosurgical and maxillofacial intervention to to which the athlete was subjected, due to the severe head injury, started shortly after 19 and ended shortly before 22. The patient was then transferred to intensive care, with a reserved prognosis. His health conditions are very serious ".
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Incidentally yesterday F1 showed a feature of him on the Instagram page and reminded me of what a legend he is and how I look up to him. I saw him once passing by in front of my London apartment during the London paralympic marathon. Always wanted to meet him in person. Sounds like he’s in really serious condition. Hope he pulls through.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

That's terrible news, hopefully he recovers.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

No good. Get better Alex.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

This year fucking sucks.

Fight, Alex.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.