Alex Zanardi critical after handbike accident

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Follow this site for daily updates, it is actually Zanardi's hospital. It seems there will not be a significant update until next week because they are keeping him under until then:

http://www.ao-siena.toscana.it/index.ph ... iugno-2020
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

"As part of the diagnostic-therapeutic evaluations carried out by the team that takes care of the athlete - reads the bulletin issued by the health facility - a control CT was performed. This diagnostic examination showed an evolution of the patient's state which made it necessary to resort to a second neurosurgery. After the operation, which lasted about 2 and a half hours, Alex Zanardi was again hospitalized in the intensive care unit where he remains sedated and intubated: his condition remains stable from the point of cardio-respiratory and metabolic, severe from a neurological point of view, the prognosis remains confidential ".

To provide an additional explanation is the health director Roberto Gusinu: "The intervention carried out represents a step that had been hypothesized by the team. Our professionals will evaluate the evolution of the situation day by day, in agreement with the family the next bulletin it will be released in about 24 hours. "
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I would assume that there was additional clotting or lesions to the brain that required a surgical intervention as per Schumacher, who from memory had numerous lesions removed?
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
jozilian
Favourite Driver: Jenson Button
Favourite Circuit: Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve

Post by jozilian »

hope this hero will recover another time, but unfortunately the prospects aren't really positive
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

jozilian wrote: 3 years ago hope this hero will recover another time, but unfortunately the prospects aren't really positive
We still don't know much so let's see and hope. Still no update since 30th June.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
jozilian wrote: 3 years ago hope this hero will recover another time, but unfortunately the prospects aren't really positive
We still don't know much so let's see and hope. Still no update since 30th June.
TMy understanding of it is they said that although his life is not in danger any more, the neurological tests they need to do to check for brain damage cannot start until he is out of the induced coma they had to put him in to rest the brain.... they said there would be no further updates until the neurological tests start in earnest unless there was any significant change. So just a wait and see I guess. The next news will probably be regarding his coming out of the induced coma to commence the more specific brain function testing.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
TMy understanding of it is they said that although his life is not in danger any more, the neurological tests they need to do to check for brain damage cannot start until he is out of the induced coma they had to put him in to rest the brain.... they said there would be no further updates until the neurological tests start in earnest unless there was any significant change. So just a wait and see I guess. The next news will probably be regarding his coming out of the induced coma to commence the more specific brain function testing.
And like with the Schumacher incident, I wonder if it is our business to know what happened?

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Which isn't our decision to make, Alex has a wife and I'm sure she is more than capable of deciding whether she wishes to share his condition with his fans, not everybody lives in a constant state of denial or wants their cake and eat it and it's well known to help some people to share/talk about a persons condition with strangers.

I don't know how true it is or whether it was covered already but I did hear it mentioned that he had been blinded in the accident, the poor guy can't catch a break.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Ian-S wrote: 3 years ago
I don't know how true it is or whether it was covered already but I did hear it mentioned that he had been blinded in the accident, the poor guy can't catch a break.
I saw a foreign language article headline which translated to suggest that.... but when I clicked on it to read it came up as article removed, and a 404. Hopefully the suggestion was just a misleading click bait, He seems to have enough issues to deal with without blindness thrown in.

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

I hope it's an ok thread to post an article I caame across a few days ago.
Motorsportweek wrote:Zanardi: Williams lost faith in me after just four races

Alex Zanardi has reflected on his time at Williams during the 1999 Formula 1 season, detailing how the team lost faith in him after just four races.

Having spent time in F1 from 1991-1994 with teams such as Jordan, Minardi and Lotus, Zanardi returned for a second run at F1 after a stint in the USA, winning two straight CART titles with Chip Ganassi Racing.

His return to the World Championship would, unfortunately, capitulate for the Italian as he would eventually retire from 10 of the 16 races and not score a single point all season – his best result of seventh coming at his home race in Monza.

The Paralympian shared incredible details on the troubles he encountered at Williams on the official F1 podcast ‘Beyond the Grid’: “I was actually given an engineer, very inexperienced, because in Patrick Head’s mind, he said ‘If they lose their way, we could always bring them back and copy the setup off the other car’.

“When I figured that was not the right approach – even before the beginning of the championship – I didn’t dare talk to Patrick and say ‘Things are not working this way, we need to make an adjustment because otherwise we’re just gonna lose a lot of time and we’re gonna lose confidence in each other’.

“I allowed myself to go over it and when I finally decided it was time to talk to him and tell him, that was at Imola after four races and I went to talk to him with these arguments and his answer was ‘Mmm, I don’t know,’ and I figured by that point the confidence in me had completely vanished.”

Despite the lack of confidence in himself to express his opinions over the engineering decisions at the team, Zanardi refuses to lay blame at anyone else other than himself.

“I think at that point, again you cannot force a man to believe you are the right one, if he believes he made a mistake in hiring you, there are things you can do, I tried, but by that point I was very much lonely from that point onwards. And I’m not blaming anyone for allowing me to fall on that situation, I am the main reason for my defeat. It’s as simple as this.

“He actually came one day to a test in Barcelona and engineered the car himself to try to understand whether he could help me to regain control of the situation.

“We were unprepared to speak the same language, it’s as simple as this. So I didn’t manage to communicate and the outcome is the one history tells.

Zanardi also admitted to only having one disappointment from that troubling ’99 season which was the inability to bring success to team owner, Frank Williams.

“If there is one thing which makes me feel a little bad about this?” He added. “It’s the fact the I would have loved to grant Frank Williams, personally, a success. I would have loved to make that man happy. This is the greatest disappointment.”
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Further surgery performed on Alex

Firstly, a nice touch was at the Austrian Grand Prix, which saw Ferrari race with messages of support for Zanardi on both its cars, with the #ForzaAlex hashtag being placed on the roll hoop.

The real purpose of this post is to pass on the latest update on Alex's treatment. The latest medical bulletin issued by the hospital confirmed Zanardi underwent five hours' worth of surgery on Monday, focusing on facial reconstruction as part of the ongoing rehabilitation plan. He remains in an induced coma.
"The patient has undergone a new surgery, performed by the professionals of the maxillofacial and neurosurgery, aimed at cranio-facial reconstruction and stabilisation of the areas affected by the trauma," the statement reads.

"The fractures were complex," said Professor Paolo Gennaro, director of the hospital's maxillofacial surgery unit.

"This required careful programming that made use of computerised, digital and three-dimensional technologies, made to measure of the patient.

"The complexity of the case was rather singular, even if it is a type of fracture that we routinely face in our centre."

Following the surgery, Zanardi returned to ICU, where he remains in a medically-induced coma.

"His condition remains stable from the cardio-respiratory and metabolic point of view, [and] severe from the neurological point of view," the bulletin concludes.

Further updates will only be issued in agreement with the family upon a significant change in Zanardi's condition.
https://www.autosport.com/other/news/15 ... five-hours

#keepfightingAlex

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Well, we just have to keep our fingers crossed now that this is another Michael Schumacher situation. Thanks for the update.

jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Ian-S wrote: 3 years agoI don't know how true it is or whether it was covered already but I did hear it mentioned that he had been blinded in the accident, the poor guy can't catch a break.
I was a Zanardi (and Vasser) fan in his CART days.
Removing emotion from the equation.......it's not very advisable to play in traffic.
Poor judgement often brings bad "breaks".......sorta like reverse "luck" (preparation and opportunity)........"poor judgement and opportunity = tragedy (bad "luck")". :sorrow:
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

jimclark wrote: 3 years ago
Ian-S wrote: 3 years agoI don't know how true it is or whether it was covered already but I did hear it mentioned that he had been blinded in the accident, the poor guy can't catch a break.
I was a Zanardi (and Vasser) fan in his CART days.
Removing emotion from the equation.......it's not very advisable to play in traffic.
Poor judgement often brings bad "breaks".......sorta like reverse "luck" (preparation and opportunity)........"poor judgement and opportunity = tragedy (bad "luck")". :sorrow:
Why should Zanardi pay for the poor judgement of the race organisers?
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Because they didn't hold a gun to his head. It was his judgement, not theirs.

There's this thing.....I know, many don't believe in it anymore.....called self-responsibility.

Remember one Niki Lauda? This man was badly burned in an accident like Alex lost his legs. There was this race in Japan the same year, the organizers made a judgement call about running it.........he made a decision about it, prolly cost him the championship......a different judgement call.
Last edited by jimclark 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

I know you're the biggest contrarian on this forum, but surely even you realise the folly in comparing an event in the 1970's to an event in the 2020's?

Dare I point out that the event organisers 18 months earlier were willing to let Montjuich Park F1 race go ahead, with drivers and mechanics having to go around and tighten the bolts on the "safety" crash barriers?

Yeah, comparing the organisers of that era vs. the organisers of a bike race 45 years later makes perfect sense.

PS, going to call it out because nobody else has bothered - wind your neck in with your attitude towards other posters on this site and your attitude of "well it doesn't interest me so nobody else should care".