Alex Zanardi critical after handbike accident

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

:fingers: :fingers: :fingers:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

An update on Alex from his wife Daniela.

Alex Zanardi’s wife has offered an update on the condition of the former IndyCar, Formula 1 driver and Paralympic hero, who suffered serious injuries in a handbike crash last year.. He is clearly suffering considerable damage.... he can communicate but is unable to speak. She speaks of challenges and setbacks. He is still as one would expect, fighting, although it is unclear how long it will be before he can be allowed out of hospital. He is still able to exercise and has good upper body strength. Sadly though it is clearly still a very long and arduous journey to any sort of recovery.

Anyway this is what she has relayed to BMW....
Daniela Zanardi, in an interview for BMW, said that her husband was undergoing a rehabilitation programme which included multimodal and pharmacological stimulations.

“I would like to tell all those people who are thinking of and praying for Alex that he is fighting – as he always has done,” she revealed.

“The affection we have received from friends, fans, acquaintances, athletes and those involved in motorsport over the past year has been nothing short of touching and overwhelming and has been of enormous support for us in dealing with all this.

"However, a very special thank you goes to the medical personnel.”

Daniela explained that the situation for her husband remained challenging, and that there had been setbacks along the way, with Zanardi having still not spoken since the accident.

“It has been a very complex process that has required more neurosurgery and been characterised by a number of setbacks,” she added.

“Alex is in a stable condition, which means he is able to undergo training programmes for both his brain and his body.

"He can communicate with us, but he is still unable to speak.

“After a long time in a coma, the vocal cords must regain their elasticity. This is only possible through practice and therapy.

"He still has a lot of strength in his arms and hands, and is training intensively on the equipment.”

Despite the lengthy recovery period, Daniela said that she could not be sure how long it would before her husband could return home.

“It is certainly another huge challenge,” she said. “It is a very long journey and at the moment no predictions are made on when he will be able to return home.

“We put all our energy in Alex’s recovery. Therefore we decided to use this interview as a unique opportunity to inform the public on his recovery status and answer some frequently asked questions.

"We appreciate everyone’s understanding that we will leave it at that for the moment.”
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/zanar ... y/6623482/

#keepfightingalex

Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

I saw an update to this thread and sadly feared the worst...so thankful to hear he is making improvements no matter big or small.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Here you have a video of the moments prior to zanardi accident
https://video.repubblica.it/edizione/fi ... 1-P1-S2-T1
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

How the fuck did he survive the next moments?
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Indeed.

Oh man that puts a bit of a different spin on it doesn’t it?
I had been under the impression that he had entered a corner to fast and, to use a car term, understeered into the truck, but this video shows that, and to again use an incorrect analogy but it’s the only thing I can think of, it looks like he went over the handlebars and then hit or got hit by the truck, so many different levels of luck on display there.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bloody hell.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
JBT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T, Porsche 917
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Brands Hatch
Car(s) Currently Owned: Alfa 156 V6

Post by JBT »

Shit. The fact that he is alive in any kind of condition after what happened in the following seconds after the videos ended, is a miracle.
"I decided i was going to go into it flat, so i did" Nigel Mansell, 1990 Mexican GP
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

YAY! Zanardi finally leaves hospital 18 months after handbike accident :twothumbs:

Great news that he has been released from hospital after so long......

In an interview with BMW, his wife Daniela provided the first update on her husband's condition since July, saying that Zanardi had left hospital "a few weeks ago" to continue his recovery at home. At least, though far from fully recovered it seems like he must be making progress. It seems they are unable to make long term predictions but at least this is better news than suffering further relapses. We just have to hope any further relapses are few and fr between.
“The recovery continues to be a long process," she said. "The rehabilitation programme led by doctors, physiotherapists, neuropsychologists and speech therapists has enabled steady progress.

"Of course, setbacks are there and can still occur. Sometimes you also have to make two steps back in order to make one step forward. But Alex proves again and again that he is a real fighter.

"An important step was that Alex was able to leave hospital a few weeks ago and is back at home with us now. We had to wait very long for this and are very happy that it was possible now, even if there are still temporary stays in special clinics planned for the future to carry out special rehabilitation measures on site.”

Zanardi has made "a lot of progress" in terms of his condition and in particular his arm strength, Daniela said, which has enabled him to spend most of his time in his wheelchair rather than in bed.

On her expectations for her husband's future recovery, she added: “You still can’t predict how his recovery will further develop. It is still a long and challenging way that Alex tackles with a lot of fighting spirit.

"It is a big help for him and us that we receive so much support on this way, not only from the doctors and therapists that intensively work with him. Our friends are always there for us. This includes the BMW Group family which we can always count on and that is firmly at our side also in this difficult time.

"We are very grateful to everyone for that and for so much more because these strong ties give us additional energy. This also goes for the continued sympathy we receive from racing drivers, fans and acquaintances from all over the world.

"We would like to express a big 'Grazie' to all who send their good thoughts and power to Alex."
https://www.autosport.com/general/news/ ... t/6927694/

#keepfightingAlex.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

That is excellent news. I know he has a way to go yet, but that man has been through so damn much and he won't let anything stop him will he? I am sure he wears his pants on the outside of his trousers and has a shirt with a big S on it under his normal clothes.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

That implies very clearly that he has cognitive capability to use a wheelchair, which is fantastic news considering the severity of this incident. The video was horrible, and you didn't even see the bad bit.

Truly a remarkable individual.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Manfred Cubenoggin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Manfred Cubenoggin »

Two thumbs up for Alex. Quite the lad.
Miles to go B4 I sleep
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alex-zana ... ouse-fire/

Little setback, but seemingly nothing serious.
Ayrton Sr.
Favourite Motorsport: Indycar
Favourite Driver: Michael Schumacher
Favourite Circuit: Indianapolis

Post by Ayrton Sr. »

I can't tell if Alex Zanardi is the luckiest or unluckiest man alive ever.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Ayrton Sr. wrote: 1 year ago I can't tell if Alex Zanardi is the luckiest or unluckiest man alive ever.
A bit like that isn't it.

He keeps on putting himself in these situations, and any repercussions are on him. But I feel so sorry for his family.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion