Sebastian Vettel retiring after 2022 season

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Star wrote: 1 year ago Yes it's true that in Europe you don't need a passport, it's still not convenient to lose all of your documents like that is it? He's now got to get new ones made up and perhaps cancel others so that no one else can use them etc. As was said, Sebastian Vettel is a recognisable person to many, but not all of course.
Hehehe reminds me of a Berger / Senna story when Berger replaced Senna's passport photo with one of "Male genitalia"! I believe it was in Argentina. Senna arrived at the airport expecting his usual clear run through customs as at pretty much every other airport he got to. After all, he was Ayrton Senna. Except in Argentina this time, customs checked his passport, and promptly arrested him, resulting in a 24-hour detention for Senna. Senna in revenge on release when he met up with Gerhard again, then super-glued, screwed and generally joined all Bergers credit cards together! This story was confirmed as fact by Ron Dennis. :haha: :haha:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Star wrote: 1 year ago Yes it's true that in Europe you don't need a passport, it's still not convenient to lose all of your documents like that is it? He's now got to get new ones made up and perhaps cancel others so that no one else can use them etc. As was said, Sebastian Vettel is a recognisable person to many, but not all of course.
Hehehe reminds me of a Berger / Senna story when Berger replaced Senna's passport photo with one of "Male genitalia"! I believe it was in Argentina. Senna arrived at the airport expecting his usual clear run through customs as at pretty much every other airport he got to. After all, he was Ayrton Senna. Except in Argentina this time, customs checked his passport, and promptly arrested him, resulting in a 24-hour detention for Senna. Senna in revenge on release when he met up with Gerhard again, then super-glued, screwed and generally joined all Bergers credit cards together! This story was confirmed as fact by Ron Dennis. :haha: :haha:

Oh those two had a history of pulling pranks on one another, I know. The one I recall is Berger throwing Senna's briefcase out of a helicopter as they flew along. YTou don't get drivers doing things like that these days, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing :cool:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Star wrote: 1 year ago Apparently Sebastian Vettel has been mugged in Spain!! They got away with his backpack which had all his personal documents in. He didn't take it laying down though, the local police tried to persuade him not to, but using his iphone, Seb tracked down his earphones on an electric scooter! Sadly the rest of his stuff wasn't there, but he tried!

What a horrible thing to have happen for anyone. I imagine it's going to cause him some problems when he wants to leave Spain as well.
It turns out his passport was in another bag, and nothing of great value was stolen. He found his earphones abandoned from the iPhone "Find my...." tracker. But he liked the backpack!

Here is what he had to say in Monaco.
“I was checking out in the morning from the hotel and had my bag in the car.

“When I just quickly went back in and came back out, the bag was gone.

“After a while I realised that my headphones were in the bag, and I could locate them. I found the headphones but didn't find the bag, so it was not really a chase.

“Obviously a bit disappointed to lose the bag.

“[The headphones] were in the bag, but then once I found them, they were in a flowerpot. I guess the person who stole it, he or she knew exactly that you can be tracked.”

Vettel was asked whether he had any concern for his own personal safety by attempting to pursue the thieves, but he said: “I wanted my bag - that was all that was in my mind”.

The German added that he had wanted to track down his belongings to avoid the tedium of replacing documents, but nothing too valuable had been taken overall. That, he reckoned, made it not “a great deal” for the culprits.

He continued: “There was not much valuables there.

“I wasn't sure at the time whether my passport was in there or not. As it happened, it was in another bag, so I was lucky.

“But I had like ID and insurance card, driver's licence - that just boring stuff that takes time to get back and you have to apply and fill out the forms. I wasn't very looking forward to that.

“Fortunately, there was no money in there. I had some bandages in there for the knee [burned on his motorbike ahead of the Spanish GP].

“I guess whoever picked the backpack, it wasn't a great deal because the only thing that was valuable maybe was the headphones, which he had to sort of lose to not be found.

“But I really liked the backpack though!

“I was just going there to see if I can spot somebody and maybe nick it back and then jump back on the scooter but there was nobody there.”

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Ta for the update on what was in Seb's bag @Everso Biggyballies I hadn't seen that. It's been one of those days to be honest and I'm all over the place right now.

I'm glad he didn't lose too much stuff, especially his passport.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Some stone age comments in response to this and the Alpine tweets.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

erwin greven wrote: 1 year ago

part 2
It’s Pride Month, the Formula 1 racing season is in full swing, and Attitude Magazine has just revealed (beloved straight ally) Sebastian Vettel as their latest cover star — the first Formula 1 driver to do so. He’s also the first Formula 1 driver to grace the cover of any queer magazine ever. To quote Attitude, “history tells us that the gateway to LGBTQ visibility within any sport so often starts with a straight ally who is prepared to speak out. Step forward Germany’s Sebastian Vettel.”

AMF1.team/attitude mag link to article below.
https://www.attitude.co.uk/article/seba ... r-1/27199/

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Why is it when Seb does this stuff it feels genuine, but when Lewis does it everything feels so fake?

Is it the way Lewis' PR team manage it? Is it that Lewis himself makes a big deal of it?

Still waiting for Lewis, a Brit, to go on a Brit show in Question Time.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

And that is part of why I love the guy. He's a great racer and a great person in my view. I'm proud to be a fan of Sebastian Vettel and I always will be.

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Why is it when Seb does this stuff it feels genuine, but when Lewis does it everything feels so fake?

Is it the way Lewis' PR team manage it? Is it that Lewis himself makes a big deal of it?
It's because Lewis loves attention. So people are constantly questioning if he is genuinely promoting or protesting a cause or just seeking attention (LOOK AT MEEEEE!) It's confirmed with his on-line brand of always posting and tweeting his status and what he is up to every 10 minutes of the day. It's a typical Holywood playbook; Step1 generate a following by constant media buzz. Step2 use the media attention to highlight causes that are important to you to influence your followers to do the same.
Lewis thinks he is using his media spotlight/attention to highlight other things/causes. But I can see why others (especially sports fans that are not fans of Hollywood "celebrities") think it's phony. To answer your question directly it's Lewis. I think his team is just executing to this strategy.

Contrast this with Seb who does not seem to need/want a media presence and only really posts when he wants to draw attention to other causes (the bee hives, etc...). He is not following the Hollywood playbook and while his influence may be a bit smaller, it comes off as more genuine.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

D/T 2022.06.27 8:19 UTC
Mike Krack seems to be eager to sign Sebastian for another (multi-year) term. An offer without deadline is supposedly on the table for Vettel to decide. Calling him a hypocrite (2x now as far as I know) in public arena is probably not helpful, and I do suspect it will be a part of his consideration. Fulfilling current commitments he has with the F1 is one thing, however starting new ones is another, especially when he is conflicted with his convictions and way he makes living.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/06/27 ... -a-living/

Respect.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

I think (or maybe I just hope) Seb will sign on for at least another year or two. He's clearly really enjoying his racing right now and okay, the car isn't as good as he might hope, but he's doing so well and getting into the points etc. The team clearly love working with him and he's getting his message out there race after race. If he retires, he wouldn't get half as much publicity would he?

Yes he feels like something of a hypocrite, but on balance I still think he will do better by staying in F1.

Again, I may be saying that for selfish reasons because I don't want to see him retire.

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

I see FWIW Hans Stuck has layed into seb, saying he should shut up.

What was that about older voices in F1? Lol

Tbf they seem rather more out of touch than your average oldster
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Interesting comments from Seb on how he thinks the future COULD be after his sustainable fuel run in the V10 Williams last weekend.

This article was in Autosport Plus, behind the paywall. It makes veery interesting reading..... Bring back the V10's, run them on the sustainable fuel he did his demo on, throw out the Hybrid crap and shed 120kgs of weight says Seb. Problem is tell that to the manufacturers with so much invested in Hybrid and EVs.

Its quite long but its worth the read.

The inconvenient questions posed by Vettel’s Williams run
By:
Jonathan Noble

Sebastian Vettel's demo laps on board his own Williams FW14B was not only a great spectacle for the fans, but were carried out with a fully sustainable, carbon-neutral fuel. And it begs the question - for all of the money F1 has spent on championing hybrids and electric components, could it go back to V8s or V10s with a similar kind of fuel?

The grand prix paddock may be a piranha club at times, but there is no greater unifying force than a loud, iconic Formula 1 car putting in some demo laps.

Every time it has happened recently – whether it was Fernando Alonso reunited with his Renault R25 at Abu Dhabi in 2019, or Mick Schumacher in an F2004 at Mugello in 2020 – tools are downed in the pitlane and everyone finds time to admire the on-track action.

It was certainly no different at the British Grand Prix last weekend when Sebastian Vettel got the privilege of driving his own Williams FW14B, which Nigel Mansell had taken to the world championship title in 1992.

The pitlane fence was crammed with drivers, mechanics, engineers and team bosses, all eager to catch a glimpse of the Williams in action. And, as the German returned to the start/finish straight afterwards, there was Mansell to greet the beaming four-time champion.

“It was very special,” admitted Vettel afterwards. “I felt like a five-year-old again, because the sound, everything, just brought me back to 30 years ago.”

But there was more to Vettel’s run in the Williams than just being about a bit of fun on a pre-race Sunday morning, for there was something incredibly significant about what Vettel had done.

Having become the F1 paddock’s chief environmentalist, he had convinced himself that the only way to justify the laps in his classic car was for it to be done in a climate-friendly way. For Vettel, that meant sourcing fully sustainable carbon neutral fuel that would allow the screaming V10 engine to run without modifications.

“I asked the question: can you have fun with a Formula 1 car and at the same time have as little impact on the environment as possible?” He said before the event. “How could we drive an original 1992 FW14B in a totally sustainable way? Given the time frame and not wanting to change anything about the engine, could we find a fuel that would replace traditional fossil fuel? And that would allow us to run the car in an environmentally friendly way?

“The answer is yes. We left everything as it was and used a carbon-neutral fuel. This is a fuel that does not add any CO2 to the environment, but is a fully sustainable, carbon-neutral solution. With this future technology we are able to keep an old-school platform alive like a traditional race car and drive it without ecological traces.”

Vettel called upon the services of Berlin-based sustainable fuel producers P1 Performance Fuels to provide its Eco100 RS product. Its fully synthetic fuel is what is known as a drop-in fuel – so doesn’t require any modifications to an existing engine for it to run. P1’s fully sustainable fuel made its debut in the World Rally Championship this year, with its products having first made an appearance in the WTCR.

"The introduction [of sustainable fuels] is planned for 2026. I understand that not everybody is easily agreeing on changing it sooner, but in the end that's probably what would be the right call, to do it sooner" Sebastian Vettel
The non-fossil fuel-based components are derived from bioethanol produced from cellulose and ligneous biomass, as well as bio-synthetic (fully renewable) fuel. The success of Vettel’s run in wowing the crowd and F1 personnel delivered the answer that historic cars can have a long future to keep being driven for years to come, despite the growing momentum behind electric cars.

As Vettel said: “You can express culture in many ways – music, arts – but our sort of culture, our way of expressing ourselves, is driving cars, racing cars. And it would be a shame if that was all to disappear. I think it's a way to keep it alive.”

The answer to the question about running old cars on sustainable fuel was great. But there is a more inconvenient question that has been prompted by Vettel’s run. And it is that if even old machinery can run on current 100% sustainable fuels, then is F1’s policy of waiting until 2026 to make the switch with its own product too slow?

Vettel for one reckoned that the evidence of the Mansell car run had showed the technology is ready now to make the move.

Big oil co have spent hundreds of millions developing their fuels

“I'm not taking decisions here, but I can obviously ask questions and the plan is to move in that direction,” he said. “There's pros and cons, also when you talk about synthetic fuels, how you do them, what's the source and so on. But we have no time to waste, no time to wait, and obviously the introduction is planned for 2026. I understand that not everybody is easily agreeing on changing it sooner, but in the end that's probably what would be the right call, to do it sooner."

A fast-tracking of sustainable fuels to F1 before 2026 would inevitably hit some big resistance. Fuel and oil companies involved in grand prix racing would certainly not be too happy at seeing their current work on fossil fuel technology thrown out sooner than anticipated.

And for manufacturers, the concern would be, amid an F1 engine freeze, how a switch to sustainable fuel would impact on performance and reliability of their current engines. It’s one thing to have a sustainable fuel that an engine will happily run on for a few laps; quite another if that power unit has to last seven grands prix with little performance drop off. It will be interesting to see how the WRC power units are impacted over the long haul of a season by the switch of fuel.

A wider philosophical question posed by Vettel’s run also is that if sustainable fuels are capable of powering powerful and loud racing cars, then does F1 really need to keep pushing on with quieter fuel efficient turbo hybrid engines for its next rules cycle?

Former F1 driver Karun Chandhok, who is now a pundit for Sky Sports, reckoned Vettel’s run should start a debate within Formula 1 about grand prix racing plotting a different path for future engine rules.

“I feel like the road car industry, and I do a little bit of work now doing programmes on the road car side and learning about that, are doing so much research, and ploughing billions into electrification and hybrid,” he told Sky Sports. "I feel like F1 should actually ditch the hybrid, ditch the battery systems, and save 120-odd kilos. I think F1 cars have got a bit too fat now, and let's go back to V10s which are screaming and running on biofuels.”

While a return to screaming V8s or V10s run on sustainable fuel would be something a lot of fans would like, it would be a hard sell for the current manufacturers in F1. Despite the shift to fully electric cars, they still see the road relevance in an F1 programme of hybrid engines in allowing technology to shift across to the electric products they sell on garage forecourts.

The likes of Mercedes, Renault, Porsche and Audi don’t sell sustainable fuels so there is little interest in F1 pushing only that technology. They sell cars, so a bespoke old-school racing engine that is a world away from what is in their product ranges does not have the same attraction.

However, it will be interesting to see in a few years’ time whether the rush of worldwide governments towards electrification hits some hurdles when the reality of what they do bites.

We are already seeing the first concerns aired about the environmental negativity of lithium mining; and the proper analysis about the dust-to-dust climate impact on electric cars suggests they are far from as green as some would like to make out (especially when electric power is sourced from coal-fired power stations).

"I feel like F1 should actually ditch the hybrid, ditch the battery systems, and save 120-odd kilos. Let's go back to V10s which are screaming and running on biofuels" Karun Chandhok
If F1’s sustainable fuel push from 2026 is a success, in helping open the door for a mass market carbon neutral drop-in fuel that hits a realistic price point (Vettel’s Williams fuel costs 5.95 Euros for a litre), then the arguments against not extending the life of combustion engines suddenly fall away very quickly. The world could then be set for an intriguing battleground of public opinion between the combustion engine and the electric car...

Red Bull boss Christian Horner, whose team has just set up its own powertrains division and is poised for a partnership with Porsche, reckons that the significance of Vettel’s carbon neutral run should not be brushed aside for one other simple reason: the noise.

“Listening to that engine, it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up,” he said. “People still go to see Rolling Stones concerts and music, and I think the noise of F1 is something that is part of its DNA. It shouldn't be ignored.”

Vettel’s run has given F1 plenty of food for thought about the future; which is exactly what he had hoped for.

Could Vettel's Williams run inspire a new technology path for F1?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/the-i ... /10333998/

Could F1 return to V10's with a fully sustainable fuel??

Make it happen.

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Seb has a few shares in this fuel company doesn't he ? ;)

I'm suspicious of the credentials tbh. Mentions biomass. Anything that has to be grown in a field is highly likely to be unsustainable long term, as every field in the world would have to be growing fuel instead of food.
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless