F1 2023 stuff not worthy of it's own thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago
MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago
I knew it! Michael Ferner is actually @DoubleFart's secret burner account!

No one hates Lewis Hamilton fans as much :mrgreen:.
You are actually bringing up a good point. The fandoms are getting out of control. To the point where it's painful for me to read other social media accounts. It's not the actual feed, but the comments. The fans are just arguing back and forth, tossing insults and there is ZERO information in it. I've started to avoid most F1 social media because of it. Can't stand the fans of any of the top drivers anymore (even the drivers I am a fan of). They are just a bunch of whiny and insulting assholes.

At least it's a bit more respectful here at the Fastlane. That's why I keep coming back.
One of the reasons I stopped following F1 in the early noughts was that, here in Germany at least, the Schumacher era had brought in lots of what I call "football fans". Explanation is, in my view "football fans" are not really fans of football, they are mostly fans of one or two (or three etc.) clubs. If there's a match going on between the two best football teams in the world, "football fans" will never watch it if "their" club is playing at the same time - they always prefer watching "their club" over enjoying a good match, i.e. it's more important to them to support a club than to follow the sport as such. Same with the Schumacher fans, and I suppose with the Mansell fans in Britain a short while before: those were not really fans of motorsport, or even of F1 only, they were there to support their "hero", and nothing else.

That's diametrically opposed to what I had been doing all those years before. I certainly did have my "darlings" amongst the drivers (and teams), and a few "villains" along the way, too, but that was never a factor when watching; I could enjoy a race even when my darlings dropped out and one of the villains won. I loved MOTORSPORT! Today, the sport is like any other, with mostly "football fans" watching, and with the whole show tailored to their wants and needs. I don't think it's an accident the sport is barely recognizable these days, it's been done on purpose. "Football fans" bring in the money.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Hamilton fans love him. They don't actually care or understand about the intricacies of F1. If you question anything about Lewis, you're a hater. Then, if you prove it with stats, they call you racist.

F1 social media in a nutshell right there.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago
XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago
I knew it! Michael Ferner is actually @DoubleFart's secret burner account!

No one hates Lewis Hamilton fans as much :mrgreen:.
You are actually bringing up a good point. The fandoms are getting out of control. To the point where it's painful for me to read other social media accounts. It's not the actual feed, but the comments. The fans are just arguing back and forth, tossing insults and there is ZERO information in it. I've started to avoid most F1 social media because of it. Can't stand the fans of any of the top drivers anymore (even the drivers I am a fan of). They are just a bunch of whiny and insulting assholes.

At least it's a bit more respectful here at the Fastlane. That's why I keep coming back.
One of the reasons I stopped following F1 in the early noughts was that, here in Germany at least, the Schumacher era had brought in lots of what I call "football fans". Explanation is, in my view "football fans" are not really fans of football, they are mostly fans of one or two (or three etc.) clubs. If there's a match going on between the two best football teams in the world, "football fans" will never watch it if "their" club is playing at the same time - they always prefer watching "their club" over enjoying a good match, i.e. it's more important to them to support a club than to follow the sport as such. Same with the Schumacher fans, and I suppose with the Mansell fans in Britain a short while before: those were not really fans of motorsport, or even of F1 only, they were there to support their "hero", and nothing else.

That's diametrically opposed to what I had been doing all those years before. I certainly did have my "darlings" amongst the drivers (and teams), and a few "villains" along the way, too, but that was never a factor when watching; I could enjoy a race even when my darlings dropped out and one of the villains won. I loved MOTORSPORT! Today, the sport is like any other, with mostly "football fans" watching, and with the whole show tailored to their wants and needs. I don't think it's an accident the sport is barely recognizable these days, it's been done on purpose. "Football fans" bring in the money.
I agree with what you said completely. It's sad, but true.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Rumours of Piastri replacing Latifi mid-season: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula- ... i-27199351

A few days ago saw rumours of him replacing him for 2023.

Smoke, meet fire?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago Rumours of Piastri replacing Latifi mid-season: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula- ... i-27199351

A few days ago saw rumours of him replacing him for 2023.

Smoke, meet fire?
**Make it happen noises**

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Some of the best started mid season iirc
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

How toxic it can get, when you disagree with SLH.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Two days later and Piastri knows something :whistling:

Of course it could be he just fills in during a practice session? :nah:

07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Vassago wrote: 1 year ago Two days later and Piastri knows something :whistling:

Of course it could be he just fills in during a practice session? :nah:

Either way...

*make it happen noises*

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Driving as opposed to racing here soon implies a Friday session.

Silverstone is not a Sprint Format so will have 2 Friday practice sessions..... more rookie friendly..... and all teams are now mandated to run rookie drivers in at least 2 x FP1 sessions per season. I think Williams have ticked one of those boxes with De Vries doing a Friday morning (Spain). Alpine have yet to run either of their must do rookie sessions.

My money would be on FP1 at Alpine if only because Alpine have yet to use a rookie driver day and they need to, and Williams already have one out of the way.

Just FYI a rookie is classified as someone who has not participated in a GP more than twice. An FP1 classifies as participating in a GP. ie Kubica doing FP1 for Alfa in Spain would not have satisfied the rookie regs for them to tick a rookie test done box, so would have been an Orlen contractual thing (RK brings the Orlen money to Alfa)

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Australian GP to stay on F1 calendar until 2035

The current deal runs for three more years until 2025, and the 10-year extension is the latest in a series of announcements as established venues rush to secure long-term contracts in the face of stiff competition for a place on the sport’s calendar.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/au ... 5a1cb22b0c

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Australian GP to stay on F1 calendar until 2035

The current deal runs for three more years until 2025, and the 10-year extension is the latest in a series of announcements as established venues rush to secure long-term contracts in the face of stiff competition for a place on the sport’s calendar.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/au ... 5a1cb22b0c
Good to see that it has been confirmed that from 2023 the Formula 2 and Formula 3 championships will both become part of Melbourne’s weekend schedule. That is a first for a faraway venue (from Europe / Middle East focus) of the F2/F3 supports. A bit of a surprise though given all the recent talk of freight blowouts and rising costs.

The only downside is I guess local series that enjoyed the GP limelight might not get a gig now..... we have had some great Historic supports before. The V8's will I am sure still get a gig but others not so sure.

Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... /10326955/

Am I the only one finding it ironic that a team like Ferrari who currently has two former bosses in the highest positions of the governing body are seeking impartiality over the move of a former Mercedes lawyer? I know there is probably an argument about Domenicali and Brawn having been away for a while but no one can deny they know the workings of Ferrari inside out!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Picci wrote: 1 year ago https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... /10326955/

Am I the only one finding it ironic that a team like Ferrari who currently has two former bosses in the highest positions of the governing body are seeking impartiality over the move of a former Mercedes lawyer? I know there is probably an argument about Domenicali and Brawn having been away for a while but no one can deny they know the workings of Ferrari inside out!
To be honest I was thinking the same but more than as being ironic..... We have in the days since her employment had a legally dubious (and that is putting it mildly as I understand it has now become something that seems to be contrary to their powers even under the powers of "safety").

The Safety card used apparently is under scrutiny because it is not any issue to all cars but in effect is only a safety issue to any degree to one team, Mercedes. Apparently to be pushed through on safety in such a swift way it has to be over an all encompassing problem that affects all teams equally. Like withdrawing a tyre compound / construction known to be unfit for purpose in certain conditions. The decision I guess will be more critical at a time when any specific changes are allowed or ordered, particularly if they affect those without a problem or safety concern.

Of course the secondary issue along those very critical areas and highly suss is the fact that whilst the teams were already in Canada, on Thursday night, the FIA allowed for all teams to be allowed to use a secondary stay to help maintain rigidity of the floor.... a move I should add that earlier is the season was specifically confirmed as not allowed. Mere hours later in FP1, a secondary stay to the exact dimensions required had been fabricated,made and fitted. Only one team managed to knock something together in time. That team was Mercedes.

Only the team most troubled by this late night before FIA allowance. The team whose ex lawyer had been clearly involved in the discussion that would allow for a legally challenging and controversial mandate.

Is it because only one team felt the second stay might be a benefit? Or more to the point was there some influence by Mercedes to have a second stay allowed, or more worryingly, did 'someone' hint to Mercedes in advance of official confirmation to all teams that they would or even might be allowed to produce a secondary smaller stay of a maximum permitted length for P1?

Such a hint thus allowing Mercedes maybe an extra day or more to have the stay manufactured and could easily have been designed and made in the UK factory using all the factory resources, and then have anyone or their mate jump on a plane for a 6 or 7 hour flight to Montreal with the stay in carryon luggage, to easily deliver it without customs hassles for Friday morning. That avenue would not have been available or possible to a team told the night before.

It is suss to the Max.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago .....or more worryingly, did 'someone' hint to Mercedes in advance of official confirmation to all teams that they would or even might be allowed to produce a secondary smaller stay of a maximum permitted length for P1?

Such a hint thus allowing Mercedes maybe an extra day or more to have the stay manufactured and could easily have been designed and made in the UK factory using all the factory resources, and then have anyone or their mate jump on a plane for a 6 or 7 hour flight to Montreal with the stay in carryon luggage, to easily deliver it without customs hassles for Friday morning. That avenue would not have been available or possible to a team told the night before.

It is suss to the Max.

It seems I am not the only one concerned over the speed that Mercedes miraculously appeared with a second stay
, within hours of it being formally removed from the banned list components.

They seems to be a lot of shit hitting fans in F1 land right now, and much of it revolves around this stay and the likleyhood Mercedes indeed had advanced warning.

Here is an extract from an article behind the Autosport paywall about the stay..... interesting that one unamed 'Senior F1 Team figure was moved to suggest "IT STINKS". Another suggests that the work undertaken, in a factory (ie not in the paddock of a flyaway race as in this case) to be 2 days
The first was the fact that Mercedes had managed to get the second stay fitted to its car just 24 hours after the FIA had notified teams it was theoretically allowed to do so.

Speaking to technical figures in the paddock, they reckoned that, with modern CAD models and proofing techniques, it would take at least a couple of days to go from concept to reality. The speed of Mercedes’ response prompted suspicions that it may have been tipped off in advance about what was coming having been the team pushing the hardest for FIA intervention on the porpoising front.

The conspiracy theories were also fuelled by the involvement at the FIA now of Shaila-Ann Rao as its interim director general of sport, taking over from Peter Bayer who left earlier this month. Having previously been a special advisor at Mercedes to Toto Wolff, her move to the governing body had already prompted concern from teams about a potential lack of impartiality at the governing body.

The fact that such a major intervention had come out, which appeared to help Mercedes, did not sit well in all corners of the paddock. As one senior team figure said about the situation: “It stinks….”
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/how-a ... /10326842/

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Relax. Isn't it usual for teams to ask the governing body in advance for clarification when the rules appear to be unclear? I see it thusly: Mercedes developed the idea of the second stay, asked FIA for clarification who then publish their interpretation. Nothing fishy, in my opinion.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.