Williams family bows out of F1

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Williams agrees deal for more Mercedes parts

It has been a long time coming and some of us doubted the wisdom of their continued reliance on building expensive in-house components such as gearboxes and suspensions given the development costs, when other non manufacturer teams were taking advantage of deals with their associated manufacturer to buy complete engine transmission and rear suspensions as a unit.

Happily I have to say that Williams have now under their new ownership, agreed a deal in which they have opted to take advantage of the ‘transferable components’ allowance. Initially it will be for gearboxes and assorted hydraulic componentry.
n its latest announcement, the team states that its agreement will “enable Williams to implement a more efficient design and manufacturing process in-house in the long-term, allowing the team to focus its resources more effectively in other performance areas.”
Williams CEO Simon Roberts himself commented, “I’m pleased to see our great relationship with Mercedes extend beyond the supply of engines.

“Williams is an independent team, but Formula One is always evolving, and as a team we must be agile to react to the current climate in order to put the team in the best position to be competitive on track.

“This long-term agreement with Mercedes is a positive step and forms part of our strategic objectives for the future whilst we will still retain our design and manufacturing capabilities in-house.”

Mercedes-AMG Formula 1 Team Principal/CEO Toto Wolff said, “We are pleased to expand our technical cooperation with Williams through this new agreement.

“For Williams, it makes sense to acquire the integrated powertrain after running our power units since 2014 and for our team, it makes sense in terms of economies of scale to supply another team under the new rules.

“This is a project we have been discussing with Williams for some time and I am glad we have been able to bring this extension to fruition.”
Its been a long time coming but with budget caps and the like it has to be seen as a no-brainer to take as much Mercedes componentry as they can. We have seen what Racing Point managed with a similar philosophy of buying in as much as they legally could (sic).

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bonkers not to do it.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago Bonkers not to do it.
Exactly.... when family run I think the team was guilty of not keeping up with the times and trying to continue the fantasy that they are first and foremost an elite Engineering Company that as an aside ran a GP team. That may have been the case back in their days of dominance but they are far from that now so finally they have dragged their heads out of the sand. Of course another benefit of this associated route is that the development and data from 4 teams of cars running the same is vast compared to that of an underfunded two car team doing it in house. I suspect reliability would be a prime benefit not to mention any data on setup and running that might be now shared.

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Uhuh, seems Mercedes-Benz has finally understood they need to keep #63 happy...
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago Uhuh, seems Mercedes-Benz has finally understood they need to keep #63 happy...
That, and the new owners wanting to fast track the car and team closer to the mid-field.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

any news about the livery being maintained, changed,...?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Williams Team Principal Simon Roberts Gone.....

So, Simon Roberts who I thought when he joined (when the family bowed out) was a long term appointment. Seems not.

Restructuring has him gone, with CEO Jost Capito set to take on the responsibilities of team principal as well as his role as CEO, while technical director FX Demaison will take accountability for both trackside and engineering. Ex-VW WRC project leader Demaison joined Williams back in March.

Roberts previously spent 15 years working for McLaren in F1, as well as spending a brief stint with Force India as chief operating officer before things changed at FI.

Maybe he did not see eye to eye with Capito who is clearly the man at the top.