Williams family bows out of F1

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Joe Saward speculates on the new ownership and comes up with a new name - James Matthews:

https://www.joeblogsf1.com/joesaward/id/00800
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I've seen a few articles mentioning him. He certainly has the money and racing connections.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago Joe Saward speculates on the new ownership and comes up with a new name - James Matthews:

James Matthews is a member of the British Royal Family, and an amateur racing driver. He is married to Pippa Middleton, sister of Catherine Middleton the Duchess of Cambridge. His brother is Spencer Middleton who is something to do with the Made in Chelsea rich brats reality TV show.
They both classify themselves as adventurers.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Tenuous to suggest he's part of the Royal Family. He's not in line to the throne in any shape or form. He is linked to the bloodline by two marriages.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago Joe Saward speculates on the new ownership and comes up with a new name - James Matthews:

James Matthews is a member of the British Royal Family, and an amateur racing driver. He is married to Pippa Middleton, sister of Catherine Middleton the Duchess of Cambridge. His brother is Spencer Middleton who is something to do with the Made in Chelsea rich brats reality TV show.
Hold up. His surname is Matthews. But he's married to Middleton.

And his brother's surname is Middleton.

Mind. Blown.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago

James Matthews is a member of the British Royal Family, and an amateur racing driver. He is married to Pippa Middleton, sister of Catherine / Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge. His brother is Spencer Middleton who is something to do with the Made in Chelsea rich brats reality TV show.
Hold up. His surname is Matthews. But he's married to Middleton.

And his brother's surname is Middleton.

Mind. Blown.
Whoops I tied myself in a knot there.... Should be Spencer Matthews not Middleton :haha:
Oh yeah and the Duchess of Cambridge is Prince William's wife (nothing to do with Frank Williams) :mrgreen:

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Frank and Claire will(iams) step aside after this weekends race.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It is now officially the end of an era......

Williams family to step aside from running of the team after Italian GP

It’s the end of an era at Williams as the team announced Deputy Team Principal Claire Williams is to step down from her role after this weekend's Italian Grand Prix, with the Williams family ending their involvement in the team Sir Frank founded in 1977.

Sir Frank marked 50 years as an F1 Team Principal last year, having run two teams in that time, the latter of which has gone on to win seven drivers' titles and nine constructors' champions.
“It is with a heavy heart that I am stepping away from my role with the team. I had hoped to continue my tenure long into the future and to preserve the Williams family’s legacy into the next generation,” said Claire.

“However, our need to find inward investment earlier this year due to a number of factors, many of which were outside of our control, resulted in the sale of the team to Dorilton Capital. My family has always put our racing team and our people first and this was absolutely the right decision."

"I know in them we have found the right people to take Williams back to the front of the grid while also preserving the Williams legacy. I have taken the decision to step away from the team in order to allow Dorilton a fresh start as the new owners. It has not been an easy decision but it’s one I believe to be right for all involved.

"I have been enormously privileged to have grown up in this team and in the wonderful world that is Formula 1. I have loved every minute and will be forever grateful for the opportunities it has given me. But it’s also an incredibly challenging sport and I now want to see what else the world holds for me. Most importantly, I want to spend time with my family.

“I would like to thank Dorilton for their support and for understanding my decision. I would also like to thank our fans who have stuck by us through thick and thin. Our people at Williams have always been family, they have kept me motivated during the difficult times and it is them who I will miss the most.

"It is my genuine hope that the process we’ve gone through brings them the success they deserve. And finally, I would like to thank my Dad for everything he has given to the team, the sport and our family.”

“With the future of the team now secured, this feels like the appropriate time for us to step away from the sport," said Claire. "As a family, we have always prioritised Williams. We have demonstrated that by our recent actions with the Strategic Review process and we believe now is the right time to hand over the reins and give the new owners the opportunity to take the team into the future.

“We have been in this sport for more than four decades. We are incredibly proud of our track record and the legacy we leave behind. We have always been in it for the love of it, for the pure pleasure of going motor racing, so this is not a decision that we have taken lightly but after much reflection and as a family.

“We are greatly appreciative of Dorilton’s encouragement to continue, but in them we know the team will be in good hands and the Williams name will live on. This may be the end of an era for Williams as a family-run team, but it is the beginning of a new era for Williams Racing and we wish them much success in the future.

“On behalf of Frank and the Williams family, I would like to say how incredibly grateful and humbled we are for the support we have enjoyed over the years, from our friends in the paddock to the many fans around the world."

"But mostly, we would like to thank our team. People who have worked at Williams in the past and present. They are the true warriors of this team and have made it what it is and we wish them well. Formula 1 has been our life for so long and now it’s time for a new chapter in our lives to begin.”

Matthew Savage, Chairman of Dorilton Capital and Williams Grand Prix Engineering, added: “We fully respect the very tough decision of Claire and the Williams family to step away from the team and the business after securing new resources for its future.

"Claire’s achievement in sustaining Williams Racing’s heritage, relevance and commitment to innovation in a difficult environment since taking charge in 2013 has been nothing short of monumental.

"She has also been hugely instrumental in shaping a more level technical and financial playing field for F1, which will help to ensure the team’s return to the front of the grid in seasons to come. We are proud to carry the Williams name into the next exciting phase for the sport and we thank Sir Frank, Claire and the Williams family for the opportunity to be part of this great British brand.”

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Williams F1 announces new board members following family exit

New board directors announced following the resignation of Claire and Frank.... with a promise of the world knowing who will be team Principal prior to the Tuscan GP in a weeks time.

We were right on one of the new Directors... one James Matthews, ex amateur racer with the Royal connection.( brother-in-law of Prince William.)
The team issued a further announcement on Thursday confirming that its new three-man board of directors, with two of the members being high-ranking members of Dorilton Capital.

These are Matthew Savage, the chairman of Dorilton Capital, and Darren Fultz, who is the CEO of the investment fund. Both previously served at Rothschild, and played a role in founding Dorilton in 2009.

The pair will be joined on the board of directors by James Matthews, who is the CEO of Eden Rock Group.

Matthews is a former racing driver, winning the British Formula Renault championship and the Formula Renault Eurocup in 1994 before embarking on a career as a city trader.

Matthews is married to Pippa Middleton, the sister of the Duchess of Cambridge, who is married to Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge.

"The new Board recognises and appreciates the importance of retaining Williams' heritage and culture and will continue to work with the senior management to leverage its capabilities to return it to racing competitively," the statement from Williams concludes.

Dorilton Capital has already confirmed following its takeover of the team that it would be keeping the Williams name in place, and had no plans to relocate from the existing base at Grove in Oxfordshire.

The new owners are yet to make any announcement regarding who will take over the day-to-day running of the team following Claire Williams' exit after this weekend's race at Monza.

However, the team has said it will "ensure this is clear" ahead of the Tuscan Grand Prix at Mugello next weekend.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15185 ... rd-members

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

So is this now an American owned team, meaning there are no British owned teams left in F1?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago So is this now an American owned team, meaning there are no British owned teams left in F1?
Well, we dont know that Dorilton is the sole owner.... initial reports spoke of them buying the business for a fund they manage, and James Matthews, the British Brother in Law of Prince William is the individual / familty of 'considerable wealth' mentioned is now a Director of Williams

But it certainly is less British than it was..... although Tota had a significant share at one stage (30% when he was there which dropped to 5% when he joined Mercedes) so it is a long time since Williams have been totally British owned, although yes always British controlled with SFW always retaining the majority, to avoid a Ron Dennis situation. (Sir Patrick Head always retained a healthy chunk of shares as well)

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

So much for that moment in the Williams documentary from a couple of years ago when Frank was asked about whether they can get back on top while he's still alive. He said they might.

They haven't, and never will.

XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago One thing which still interests me is the reference in the sale to Dorilto....
I am having a hard time not thinking of it as "Team Doritos":

Just waiting for the "Team Doritos" announcement. That would "spice" things up nicely. However, new team names are Nacho choice. They will pick one in time along with a new race director and a new fancy livery.
Perhaps team Flaming Hot Cool Ranch Doritos F1? Has a nice ring.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Anyone else thinking that this will be a nail in the coffin for Frank himself sadly? He's lived for this team, and now it's gone. Without purpose...

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago Anyone else thinking that this will be a nail in the coffin for Frank himself sadly? He's lived for this team, and now it's gone. Without purpose...
Are you putting him in his grave?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago Anyone else thinking that this will be a nail in the coffin for Frank himself sadly? He's lived for this team, and now it's gone. Without purpose...
Are you putting him in his grave?
Hopefully not. They were my favourite team growing up, and what he went through was legendary and inspiring.

But you hear so many stories of people carking it after they get forcefully retired. I was just thinking back at that Williams doco, and it really seems like the thing that drove him through his injury. He didn't seem like much of a family man at all. It was all racing. So I just don't know what he'd otherwise do. Hopefully they let him come to races still.