The weird and wonderful world of Lewis Hamilton

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

The weird and wonderful world of Lewis Hamilton

Post by MonteCristo »

In keeping with the BS from the mouth of Christian Horner thread.
“What a privilege to be in the same sentence as Fangio. For me growing up, Ayrton Senna was the guy I wanted to be like, but Fangio is up there and is really the OG ('original gangster') above him.”
Linky

:crazy: :blush: :down: :insulted:

What will Lewis say or do next?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote:In keeping with the BS from the mouth of Christian Horner thread.
“What a privilege to be in the same sentence as Fangio. For me growing up, Ayrton Senna was the guy I wanted to be like, but Fangio is up there and is really the OG ('original gangster') above him.”

:insulted: :sly: Do I care? Not a toss. Only opened the thread cos I am bored waiting for the Moto GP to come on Telly. :roll:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Tom
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Tom »

Lewis can come out with some rare but thoughtful and/or insightful comments occasionally. I respected him for asking his engineer over the radio how Magnusson was after his crash at Spa.

And then he says something, and it's like....wat.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I think he is on that border of a young racer to a more responsible racer. Mentally people grow. Some do fast, some are slow, some never grow up.

I say this because i have been and still am in a proces of mentally growing up. It is a too long a story, but when i was 22, i was mentally 12-15 years old. Being an autist it was impossible to grow mentally as fast as the years went on. Nowadays i feel as if i am 30, but physically i am almost 50... lol.

Look at Senna, how fast did he grew up between 92-94? Tremendously fast.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

MonteCristo wrote:In keeping with the BS from the mouth of Christian Horner thread.
Linky

He's trying too hard to stay relevant with his fan base. Don't forget, he invited Justin Bieber up to the podium at Monaco.
He seems to think that using phrases like "OG" will endear him to his fans. One might say it is working, but those fans tend to be pop culture fans who occasionally catch a race.
It is obviously doing nothing for the set base of race fans like us (except maybe pissing some of us off).
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I'd rather Lewis and other drivers say eccentric nee dumb things than behave like corporate robots.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Lewis Hamilton walked out of the Mercedes press conference after qualifying after a short 'speech':
"The smiles on your faces probably will be no longer," he said to the assembled media. "I'm not actually here to answer your questions, I've decided.

"With the utmost respect, there are many of you here that are super supportive of me, and those of you hopefully know I know who they are.

"There are others unfortunately that often take advantage of certain things. The other day was a super light-hearted thing, and if I was disrespectful to any of you guys, or if you felt that I was disrespectful, it honestly was not the intention, it was just a little bit of fun.

"But what was more disrespectful was what was then written worldwide. I'm just kind of in a position…

"Unfortunately there are some people here, it's not them that's done it, and unfortunately the decision I will take unfortunately affects those who have been super supportive. That's why I'm saying with the utmost respect.

"But yeah, I don't really plan on sitting here many more times for these kinds of things. My apologies, and I hope you guys enjoy the rest of your weekend."
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

It's part of his contract and this shows just how disrespectful he is of the sport that has made him a multi millionaire and superstar.
He's just lame in my opinion.
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

PTRACER wrote:Lewis Hamilton walked out of the Mercedes press conference after qualifying after a short 'speech':
...The other day was a super light-hearted thing, and if I was disrespectful to any of you guys, or if you felt that I was disrespectful, it honestly was not the intention, it was just a little bit of fun....
What is he referring to with this statement?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote:
PTRACER wrote:Lewis Hamilton walked out of the Mercedes press conference after qualifying after a short 'speech':
...The other day was a super light-hearted thing, and if I was disrespectful to any of you guys, or if you felt that I was disrespectful, it honestly was not the intention, it was just a little bit of fun....
What is he referring to with this statement?
He was messing around with Snapchat during the Drivers' Press Conference....
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14351&start=0#p297647
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14351&start=0#p297667

...and the media turned into crybabies over it:
Almost crying with laughter, Hamilton was asked what he had found so funny. “It’s quite funny, just some snaps of drivers,” he said. “We’ve been doing this [press conference] a long, long time and it’s the same. Just got to keep adding new things to it.” He captioned his phone pictures: “This stuff is killing me.”

Both the FIA and Mercedes looked uneasy when asked how they would respond. Whether there will be any official reaction is doubtful but Hamilton is likely to be spoken to next time he appears at the official launch of a grand prix weekend.

It is understood that some sponsors and officials are already unhappy about Hamilton’s casual approach to the pre-race drivers’ parade, when he is a detached figure listening to music on headphones instead of mixing with his rivals.

Hamilton later issued a statement on Twitter, saying: “Today was meant to be fun, not at all disrespectful. Some people take themselves to [sic] seriously. I had a blast, highlight of my day!”

In a second tweet, he wrote: “Re press conference, it’s been the same for 10 years. It’s not the media or mediator, it’s the format. Fans should be asking the questions!!”
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Re: the media conference. I didn't find it funny - but it's just not my thing. He can have fun with it if he wants, and if others enjoyed it, great. Other drivers have had fun at times during them as well (in different ways), so it's no different in my opinion.

Re: his reaction. Woe is Lewis. But he is right as far as there should be some fan questions allowed.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

"This shit is killing me" = "these snapchat filters are hilarious" or "this press conference is boring". Seems everybody has their own interpretation, like with his comment after retiring in Malaysia.

Either Lewis needs to have an interpreter standing next to him all the time, so his comments aren't taken out of context, or he needs to chose better words. Then again, the media can do a better job of reporting fact over conjecture.

But this whole thing is a mountain out of a molehill. A total non-story. As with his comment after retiring in Malaysia.
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

The world needs click-bait...
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Lewis Hamilton will be in the new Call of Duty.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.