The weird and wonderful world of Lewis Hamilton

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Bottom post of the previous page:

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
White six wrote: 3 years ago 2 year deal with a team mate veto?

He loves Bottas, pushes him to the limit

He's really good you know
Looks like he is getting a one year deal with a possibility to extend. I wonder where the sticking point was?
Motivation lacking on both sides
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I cant find anything vaguely official or credible that says any of this. All I can get is Toto saying we wont know until just before their launch on March 2nd. I really dont care if he stays or if he goes. Sadly I think he will stay on, hopefully not for too long. I also hope Toto does not give Lewis all the power over who they can and cant employ.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

The two year thing was from Damon Hill
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Just the one year deal. Could be the last
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

White six wrote: 3 years ago Just the one year deal. Could be the last

And here is the official wank on it all..... in a nutshell yes he just wants to get the 8th title (the one he didnt care about, right?) and then retire to a life of Mercedes funded kneeling and righting the worlds wrongs.

Dont get me wrong I applaud what he is doing, even if I dont agree with some of his methods. I would like it more if he was involved in a less targeted /focussed attack on discrimination of all sorts. But I guess there is the argument that he can do a better job and contribute more to the specific discrimination that is closest to his heart.

I guess we now need a female driver to focus on their discrimination, a gay one to focus on their issues etc etc. Problem is the pre race antics will then take longer than the race. Or they could all focus on and push cohesively the official F1 "We race as one" mantra..... :whistling:
"I am excited to be heading into my ninth season with my Mercedes teammates," said Hamilton, "Our team has achieved incredible things together and we look forward to building on our success even further, while continuously looking to improve, both on and off the track."

Hamilton stated throughout last year that he wanted his new Mercedes contract to have a wider scope, focusing on areas such as improving diversity and helping its environmental credentials.

Mercedes confirmed in the announcement that a "significant part" of the new deal including a commitment to greater diversity and inclusion in motorsport, taking the form of a joint charitable foundation.

"I'm equally determined to continue the journey we started to make motorsport more diverse for future generations and I am grateful that Mercedes has been extremely supportive of my call to address this issue," said Hamilton.

"I'm proud to say we are taking that effort further this year by launching a foundation dedicated to diversity and inclusion in the sport. I am inspired by all that we can build together and can't wait to get back on the track in March."

<Snip> cue Toto....

Hamilton has spent the winter in the United States, but was in regular contact with team boss Wolff to get talks underway and eventually across the line.

"We have always been aligned with Lewis that we would continue, but the very unusual year we had in 2020 meant it took some time to finish the process," explained Wolff.

"Together, we have decided to extend the sporting relationship for another season and to begin a longer-term project to take the next step in our shared commitment to greater diversity within our sport.

"Lewis's competitive record stands alongside the best the sports world has ever seen, and he is a valued ambassador for our brand and our partners.

"The story of Mercedes and Lewis has written itself into the history books of our sport over the past eight seasons, and we are hungry to compete and to add more chapters to it."
Extracts from https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15494 ... t-for-2021

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

'Can't be arsed to race against GR, and they won't let me veto other drivers, so I'm taking the huge 1 year deal, will win the 8th title with Valteri pushing me very hard, he's really good you know, then bugger off'

Is that a good summary?
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
I guess we now need a female driver to focus on their discrimination, a gay one to focus on their issues etc etc. Problem is the pre race antics will then take longer than the race. Or they could all focus on and push cohesively the official F1 "We race as one" mantra..... :whistling:
Don't be so negative, what can be better than minimizing the sleep inducing effects of a Formula One race? Oh, I see, you fear for your Sunday afternoon nap...
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago
Don't be so negative, what can be better than minimizing the sleep inducing effects of a Formula One race? Oh, I see, you fear for your Sunday afternoon nap...
Sunday afternoon.... I wish. Euro races are 11pm earliest for me. North America Brazil and its 4:00 am. Japan is good and like a local race.

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Four possibilities here:

1. Lewis is planning on retiring after this year.
2. They could not reach an agreement on the future contract and Lewis’ future role, so they signed a one-year deal to tide them over (I think this is the most likely explanation).
3. Lewis may want to have the option to move elsewhere next year with the new regulations and possibly a better deal.
4. Mercedes may be scaling back/restructuring/selling off/or shutting down soon, so Lewis did not want to commit for over a year.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

And here is the official wank on it all..... in a nutshell yes he just wants to get the 8th title (the one he didnt care about, right?) and then retire to a life of Mercedes funded kneeling and righting the worlds wrongs.

Dont get me wrong I applaud what he is doing, even if I dont agree with some of his methods. I would like it more if he was involved in a less targeted /focussed attack on discrimination of all sorts. But I guess there is the argument that he can do a better job and contribute more to the specific discrimination that is closest to his heart.

"I am excited to be heading into my ninth season with my Mercedes teammates," said Hamilton, "Our team has achieved incredible things together and we look forward to building on our success even further, while continuously looking to improve, both on and off the track."

Hamilton stated throughout last year that he wanted his new Mercedes contract to have a wider scope, focusing on areas such as improving diversity and helping its environmental credentials.

Mercedes confirmed in the announcement that a "significant part" of the new deal including a commitment to greater diversity and inclusion in motorsport, taking the form of a joint charitable foundation.

"I'm equally determined to continue the journey we started to make motorsport more diverse for future generations and I am grateful that Mercedes has been extremely supportive of my call to address this issue," said Hamilton.

"I'm proud to say we are taking that effort further this year by launching a foundation dedicated to diversity and inclusion in the sport. I am inspired by all that we can build together and can't wait to get back on the track in March."

<Snip> cue Toto....

Hamilton has spent the winter in the United States, but was in regular contact with team boss Wolff to get talks underway and eventually across the line.

"We have always been aligned with Lewis that we would continue, but the very unusual year we had in 2020 meant it took some time to finish the process," explained Wolff.

"Together, we have decided to extend the sporting relationship for another season and to begin a longer-term project to take the next step in our shared commitment to greater diversity within our sport.

"Lewis's competitive record stands alongside the best the sports world has ever seen, and he is a valued ambassador for our brand and our partners.

"The story of Mercedes and Lewis has written itself into the history books of our sport over the past eight seasons, and we are hungry to compete and to add more chapters to it."
Extracts from https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15494 ... t-for-2021
Neither in Schmumichels nor Schummeltons era 'they raced as one'
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years agoDon't be so negative, what can be better than minimizing the sleep inducing effects of a Formula One race? Oh, I see, you fear for your Sunday afternoon nap...
Where's the "thumb down" button.....? :insulted:

:tongue:

Besides, IF I were to become bored (which never happens for me, watching those wonderful machines and drivers doing their things) the races are usually in the morning here in the eastern U.S. so I'd have enuff energy to do something more useful than napping.....(not that there's anything wrong with an afternoon snooze, mind you...)..... :smiley:
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

"... wonderful machines and drivers..." Geeez, WHAT do you smoke for breakfast? :shocked:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Boring. Please go away Lewis, and take Valtteri with you.

We can put Russell in one car, and Hulkenberg in the other seeing as he was the second choice after Hamilton.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Any word as to how much he is getting paid next year? I gather the discussion was somewhere between $30 - $50 million.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago"... wonderful machines and drivers..." Geeez, WHAT do you smoke for breakfast? :shocked:
Uuuhhhh......hmmmmmm.......?

Nothing. 'Don't smoke. :nah:

My turn..... :wink: Can you design and construct; or drive as well? What's the name of your outfit, I don't recollect seeing it or you on the grid? :bow: :tongue:
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago Any word as to how much he is getting paid next year? I gather the discussion was somewhere between $30 - $50 million.
According to one article: "According to multiple authoritative sources, the seven time world champion has even signed up with a minor pay-cut this year in a contract that does not include an option for 2022....Hamilton...is rumoured to make around EUR 40 million per year."

See: https://www.grandprix.com/news/up-to-ha ... wolff.html