The weird and wonderful world of Lewis Hamilton

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Mercedes weren't bad. Bottas was second his entire race, and attempting to undercut Max for the lead when he came in.

It's not being bad that caused a failure, which could have happened anywhere.

It was St Lewis, the GrEaTeSt EvAr!! who was simply not at the races today.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

That's Lord St Lewis, thank you!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago That's Lord St Lewis, thank you!
And on the 8th day, God saw the mistakes he had made with Senna, Prost and Schumacher, and decided to create a driver in his own image, amen.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
White six wrote: 2 years ago Can we note that it wasn't mercedes that were bad at Monaco, it was Lewis
They were both bad. Lewis was ordinary all weekend, but Mercedes were also dreadful.... with their attempted undercut strategy that cost Lewis 3 or 4 places and then their inability to get a wheel spinner off Bottas car leading to hs retirement. The spinner jammed and then the wheel gun destroyed all the hexagon edges on the spinner. Oh and the spinner jammed in the first place because one of the crew crossed the thread putting the wheel spinner on.

Just sayin...... :wink:
The tyre was a problem that could, and does happen to any and every team.

Also Andrew Benson says the undercut was Lewis's idea, TV missed it :rofl: Then he blames the team :haha:
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago That's Lord St Lewis, thank you!
And on the 8th day, God saw the mistakes he had made with Senna, Prost and Schumacher, and decided to create a driver in his own image, amen.
#blessed.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Monaco Grand Prix: Max Verstappen win leaves Lewis Hamilton looking for answers
By Andrew Benson Chief F1 writer

A win at Monaco is always special, but for Max Verstappen this one meant more than just the status of victory at Formula 1's most celebrated race.

It not only arrested the momentum Lewis Hamilton was building up in their private fight for the title, but also provided the perfect opportunity to fire back at some of the barbed comments the seven-time champion had been aiming in the direction of the Dutchman and his Red Bull team.

The Monaco weekend started with Hamilton saying he had "done well" to avoid colliding with Verstappen in their wheel-to-wheel battles in the first four races of the season, and that the younger man "feels he perhaps has a lot to prove".

Verstappen gave a pointed verbal response to that - but saved his most effective one for the track.

His drive to victory was aided by the removal from the race of pole-winner Charles Leclerc's Ferrari before it had even started. But what followed was a consummate, masterful drive, while Hamilton and Mercedes floundered behind him.

Never on the pace all weekend, Hamilton started seventh, and finished there, too. The seven-time champion was not only unable to get past Pierre Gasly's Alpha Tauri on pit strategy, but also lost places to Sergio Perez's Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel's Aston Martin.

The result was that Verstappen turned a 14-point deficit in the championship into a four-point lead.

"Actions always speak louder than words; that is a good lesson after this weekend," Verstappen said. "You have to talk on the track. That's what I like. As a team, so far we have made the smallest mistakes. That is why we are ahead. I hope we can keep that going for the rest of the season."

In that answer, Verstappen addressed not only Hamilton's pre-Monaco barb, but also ones he had made at previous races in reference to small mistakes the Red Bull driver had made that potentially harmed his chances.

Hamilton's response to all this?

"I'm not playing mind games," he said. "They did a great job this weekend and that's that. There are 17 races to go. I'm not going to get into a war of words. It's childish."

Why did Hamilton's weekend unravel?

Verstappen and Red Bull went into the Monaco weekend as favourites. Ferrari's remarkable competitiveness was a surprise. But with Leclerc removed from the picture by a pre-race driveshaft failure, Verstappen converted what became de facto pole position into a lead at the first corner, and was in total control of the race from then on.

At Mercedes, meanwhile, serious questions were being asked about their lack of competitiveness.

Hamilton's team-mate Valtteri Bottas had managed to take third on the grid, but after Verstappen fended off the Finn's attack at the start, Bottas slowly but surely dropped away, coming under pressure from Ferrari's Carlos Sainz, before a stripped wheel nut forced his retirement at his pit stop.

Hamilton, meanwhile, was nowhere. Lacking confidence in the car in qualifying, he had struggled to generate tyre temperature, lacked grip as a result and been only seventh fastest on Saturday afternoon.

Mercedes' pre-race plans had been to run longer than those in front of them and try to gain time and places back with some fast laps before a later pit stop.

But high tyre wear scuppered that. The drivers in front did not stop as early as Mercedes expected. When Hamilton pitted, pretty much at the point that had been planned, his tyres were shot.

And, although it was not broadcast on television, Hamilton had already been asking the engineers to try the undercut - stopping first and gaining time on fresh tyres - in an attempt to pass Gasly, before the engineers decided to do exactly that, reversing their pre-race plans.

"I don't feel any pain," Hamilton said. "It is not a great weekend but I am not dwelling on it. There is a lot we could have done better in terms of how we prepared. We've had some good conversations through the weekend but it's not good enough from all of us.

"We don't take it lightly but there is no point getting depressed. We have to look through the data and work out why we are in this position. We will be on calls the next few days and we all want answers."

Why were Mercedes struggling so in Monaco, lacking speed when they had it before, using up their tyres quicker than others when in the first four races it had been the other way around?

"Monaco has never been a happy place for us," team boss Toto Wolff said. "You are building a car for 23 races and there will be outliers in both directions where you underperform and Monaco is definitely an outlier where you need a different car than for the average tracks." *1

Hamilton won there in 2019 but generally in recent years Red Bull and/or Ferrari have had the advantage around the streets, and so it was this year.

Part of the explanation lies in the philosophy of the Mercedes car itself. It is longer and the team run it flatter than other teams. This limits the total downforce the car can generate, and its size makes it cumbersome on such a tight track.

"We have the longest car," Hamilton said. "It is like a bus to turn and it is not as nimble as the others, but it's great elsewhere. There are things that don't work here that bode well for the other circuits."

Neither Hamilton nor Wolff, though, is under any illusion that they will necessarily automatically return to winning ways in two weeks' time in Baku, another street track but one with very different characteristics to Monaco, and the longest 'straight' on the calendar.

"It is going to be tough," Hamilton said. "I told you at the beginning of the season that they have a championship-winning car and they are going to be very hard to beat.

"I have been serious about it all year. We have won races we shouldn't have won, like in Bahrain. But it is not over. There is a long way to go. We can't afford another weekend like this but I am grateful l finished and got a point for fastest lap. Every point we get on a bad weekend like this can be important later on.

"The reasons we have all the championships we have is because we made mistakes but we learn from them and came back stronger. There is a lot to take from this weekend. We don't have all the answers but it will force us to go and have to search for them."

Disappointment for a resurgent Ferrari

While Verstappen celebrated his victory, he spared a thought for Leclerc, the man who might have deprived him of it had his car been able to start the race.

"It's sad for Charles," Verstappen said. "Starting on pole at his home grand prix, it is never nice to not even do the start."

As Verstappen accelerated away from the grid towards a first Monaco win, Leclerc was alone with his girlfriend and his thoughts, clearly devastated by the turn of events.

"Sad," he said later. "Just very sad. A lot of emotions obviously in the helmet. It is a track that means something very special for me. As for every driver, I want to do well at home.

"I have never finished a race in Monaco. This year I start from pole and I don't even start it, so it is a difficult one to take."

When Leclerc's car failed on his first lap out of the pits before the race, and he radioed the team that the gearbox had failed, at first it seemed as if Ferrari might have made a terrible mistake.

Leclerc had taken pole on Saturday, after going fastest on his first lap in the final part of qualifying and then crashing on his second. That brought out the red flag and cost everyone else the chance of improving on their final runs.

The immediate concern was that his gearbox might be damaged, a regular occurrence in a crash, but one which means an automatic five-place penalty if it is replaced.

But Ferrari inspected it both on Saturday evening and on Sunday morning and could find no problems, so decided not to change it.

As it turned out, it was not the gearbox that failed on Leclerc's car, Ferrari said, but the left-hand driveshaft - the side of the car that did not hit the wall.

Did the crash damage the driveshaft and Ferrari fail to spot it? Initially, team boss Mattia Binotto said on Sunday evening that the driveshaft was "not damaged in the accident".

But pressed on it, Binotto did admit that he was "not sure" that the failure was not related to the accident in any way and said: "We need to find the answer."

Ferrari's hopes in the race were salvaged by Sainz, who was highly impressive all weekend.

The Spaniard had been frustrated to miss out on pole himself on Saturday, feeling it had been within his grasp. But the retirements of Leclerc and Bottas elevated him to a well deserved second place. He was delighted, even if he admitted it was "bittersweet", given that his pace over the weekend had convinced him a win was possible.

Ferrari have made a big step forward this season after a dire 2020 but admit not only that their pace in Monaco was a surprise but also that it will be a "one-off". It was related to the specifics of the track and their car, which is good in slow-speed corners but lacks straight-line speed.

"We expected to be good around Monaco," Sainz said. "We didn't expect to be fighting for pole and win, but we expected to be closer to the front.

"We managed to switch the tyres on all compounds. We nailed the set-up. Confidence was high in the car. So it is a combination of things that came together, and all of a sudden in a special place like here you can have a crack at it. And we were close."

They will have other good tracks, such as Hungary and - if the race happens in the pandemic - Singapore. But they admit neither are likely to be as favourable as this. So quite possibly their only chance of a win this year has gone.

Three hours after the race, though, Leclerc was already moving on.

"I feel I have done a good job this weekend," he said. "It was not easy to miss first practice [with a gearbox failure]. I recovered well in second practice. At the end of qualifying, I just tried a bit too much. It can happen in Monaco. It has happened in the past.

"Many times I have been very hard with myself but if there is any time I have to push it is Q3 in Monaco. You can always learn but I am not too hard on myself.

"It is difficult because it is at home and it is not every day we have the chance to be in such a good place, but it is part of motorsport.

"What I will try to remember is all the positive signs. We are coming back quite a long way. We are on the good road and working well. The luck was not on my side this weekend but that's life. I will get over it."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/57222793

*1 Nope, Mercedes only won this race in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2019. So in the hybrid era they failed in 2017, 2018 and 2021.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

"The reasons we have all the championships we have is because we made mistakes but we learn from them and came back stronger. There is a lot to take from this weekend. We don't have all the answers but it will force us to go and have to search for them."

No Lewis, it's because you started designing a hybrid engine and car back in 2011, creating an advantage that even the best chassis in the world couldn't overcome for the first 4 years. That's why you have so many championships.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years agoIt's not being bad that caused a failure, which could have happened anywhere.

It was St Lewis, the GrEaTeSt EvAr!! who was simply not at the races today.
I don't know the cause of the jammed nut, but it could have been a crewmember's fault.

Fer instance, Lewis complained of disatisfaction with the rear, so, again, if the crew couldn't get it right for him, no, he could "not be at the races".
There are times when you just can't get the car right, no matter how you try. :wink:

Similarly, Leclerc definitely was "not at the race". Was it his fault?.....or the crews decision not to change the box? :wink:
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

jimclark wrote: 2 years ago Similarly, Leclerc definitely was "not at the race". Was it his fault?.....or the crews decision not to change the box? :wink:
The Ferrari crew did not check the left rear drive shaft because they did not assume it would be damaged after an impact on the right front and rear.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago
jimclark wrote: 2 years ago Similarly, Leclerc definitely was "not at the race". Was it his fault?.....or the crews decision not to change the box? :wink:
The Ferrari crew did not check the left rear drive shaft because they did not assume it would be damaged after an impact on the right front and rear.
Confucious say "Never assume anything." It's a very good rule of thumb.

Just another Ferrari blunder.

jimclark
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

jimclark wrote: 2 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago
Confucious say "Never assume anything." It's a very good rule of thumb.

Just another Ferrari blunder.
The last time a pole-sitter failed to start a race was another Ferrari blunder.... Michael Schumacher having his engine fail on the warmup lap in France 1996

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Apparently...

The Red Bull is better than the Merc, but Lewis is better at tyre management than Max, and is therefore making the Merc faster.

The implication is that the Red Bull would therefore win if it had somebody who could manage tyres.

Wait, isn't Perez in the second Red Bull and being absolutely smashed by Max?

Oh Lewis fans, you can't see the wood for the trees can't you?
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Is anyone on this board making that argument?
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years agoOh Lewis fans, you can't see the wood for the trees can't you?
Huh???

There's a long walk thru the forest to go....... :wink:

Of course, i keep forgetting; you know all...... :bow:

:tongue: :mrgreen:

jimclark
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Certainly don't know all, as I don't have a clue what your latest post has to do with the topic, which is Lewis Hamilton discussion.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Is anyone on this board making that argument?
Not here, but I've seen similar arguments elsewhere.