The weird and wonderful world of Lewis Hamilton

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Bottom post of the previous page:

The brave little soldier has confirmed he will be racing in Canada, despite the pain. ;)

I don't doubt it's uncomfortable, other drivers are complaining about it, Bottas is the latest one I read about who says something needs to be done. No one else is making quite the fuss that Hamilton is and if all else fails, he should use some of the huge amount of money he's paid to sit on, it might soften the ride!

It can't be nice when you hurt like that, I wouldn't fancy it myself but then you have to take the rough with the smooth in life don't you?
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza, Montecarlo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Nissan Micra (vintage in 3 yrs)

Post by Starling »

DownForce wrote: 1 year ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
The rules clearly state any driver must be able to exit the car unaided in under 5 seconds.
So yes he broke 2 rules then including The earrings all over his balls :tongue:
Please, don't make such jokes while I'm drinking beer. :D

Anyway, and without checking original sources (time is cruel), I believe Mansell was genuine, what with the black suit, the heat and all.

I'm having trouble picturing Senna faking utter agony, simply because he wasn't the type, he was very reserved and if he had still an ounce of strength in him he would have gritted his teeth and stepped out of the car. Also the trophy was HUMONGOUS. I don't doubt the gearbox data, but I tend to think his discomfort was genuine.

As for Piquet, I never witnessed those incidents, but all the same I don't think he'd fake vomiting or other excretions of bodily fluids.

Bottom line: Why on earth the best paid and most idolized athletes in the world would fake discomfort, when they had a million more ways of improving their image? Not a rhetorical question! Thanks.
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Starling wrote: 1 year ago
DownForce wrote: 1 year ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
The rules clearly state any driver must be able to exit the car unaided in under 5 seconds.
So yes he broke 2 rules then including The earrings all over his balls :tongue:
Please, don't make such jokes while I'm drinking beer. :D

Anyway, and without checking original sources (time is cruel), I believe Mansell was genuine, what with the black suit, the heat and all.

I'm having trouble picturing Senna faking utter agony, simply because he wasn't the type, he was very reserved and if he had still an ounce of strength in him he would have gritted his teeth and stepped out of the car. Also the trophy was HUMONGOUS. I don't doubt the gearbox data, but I tend to think his discomfort was genuine.

As for Piquet, I never witnessed those incidents, but all the same I don't think he'd fake vomiting or other excretions of bodily fluids.

Bottom line: Why on earth the best paid and most idolized athletes in the world would fake discomfort, when they had a million more ways of improving their image? Not a rhetorical question! Thanks.
The piquet pissing was just his usual trick of pissing everywhere and then telling the mechanics he had a fuel leak. :)

I think he passed out in Vegas (podium for the title rather than race?) and Brazil 82
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

:haha: The latest delusion of the hammy fans had been that he was doing ALL the experimentation with new parts and setups, and of course it was always worse than Russell who always drove the 'optimized' car. Wonder how today's events will be fit into this narrative... :roll:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago :haha: The latest delusion of the hammy fans had been that he was doing ALL the experimentation with new parts and setups, and of course it was always worse than Russell who always drove the 'optimized' car. Wonder how today's events will be fit into this narrative... :roll:
He overcame the odds and delivered the performance of a lifetime, of course.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago
Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago :haha: The latest delusion of the hammy fans had been that he was doing ALL the experimentation with new parts and setups, and of course it was always worse than Russell who always drove the 'optimized' car. Wonder how today's events will be fit into this narrative... :roll:
He overcame the odds and delivered the performance of a lifetime, of course.
:sick: :sick:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Retiring would be “wiser” move for Hamilton – Stewart

Lewis Hamilton has missed his best opportunity to retire while on top of Formula 1......... and should step down, says Jackie Stewart.

After winning seven world championships, Stewart believes Hamilton is “now struggling a little bit because he’s had a new team mate who’s been quicker than him in qualifying so far this year, which is going to be difficult for him to handle. But I think it’s time for him to resign.”

Hamilton has shown he has interests beyond F1 he is eager to pursue. “He’s got music, he’s got culture. He loves clothing and the rag trade would be absolutely suitable for him,” said Stewart. :haha:

Stewart believes Hamilton should step down instead of risk spending years not being able to compete. “I would like to see him resigning now,” he said. “It’s a pity he wasn’t resigning at the top. But I don’t think that’s going to happen now.

It’s wiser to stop than go through all the pain of not being able to do what you did before.”

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Retiring would be “wiser” move for Hamilton – Stewart

Lewis Hamilton has missed his best opportunity to retire while on top of Formula 1......... and should step down, says Jackie Stewart.

After winning seven world championships, Stewart believes Hamilton is “now struggling a little bit because he’s had a new team mate who’s been quicker than him in qualifying so far this year, which is going to be difficult for him to handle. But I think it’s time for him to resign.”

Hamilton has shown he has interests beyond F1 he is eager to pursue. “He’s got music, he’s got culture. He loves clothing and the rag trade would be absolutely suitable for him,” said Stewart. :haha:

Stewart believes Hamilton should step down instead of risk spending years not being able to compete. “I would like to see him resigning now,” he said. “It’s a pity he wasn’t resigning at the top. But I don’t think that’s going to happen now.

It’s wiser to stop than go through all the pain of not being able to do what you did before.”
I've always liked Jackie Stewart :wink:

I also read a story lately that says Lewis Hamilton is the most charitable sportsman in the world
Other than collecting F1 World Championships, Lewis Hamilton has proven to be extremely generous off the track, and is officially now the most giving athlete in the world!

Hamilton sits fifth on the list, and out of his estimated £300 million wealth, the Mercedes driver has donated over 7% of his earnings to charitable causes!

In the last few months alone, Hamilton has donated an astonishing £20 million throughout 2022, supporting youth, education, and employment.
Full story here: https://www.wtf1.com/post/lewis-hamilto ... ving-list/

Now I have some issue with this. He's perhaps the most generous sportsman who has declared what he's given to charity. I know a lot of them donate in an anonymous way so we'll never truly know who gave what and if any of the others have given more. The fact we know he's given that much means he's told people and to me, that smacks of the donator (not just Hamilton, everyone who does it) saying 'Look how good I am, look how generous I can be'.

Now I know I mentioned on here that I raised money by making up charity quizzes, so in some regards I have no room to speak. I was just so proud and surprised that something I was part of managed to raise that much, I didn't just write a cheque and say look how good I am. For me there is a difference there.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

'Rag trade'? No question Stewart showing his age with that comment. Then again Coco Chanel used to say all fashion designers are tailors except some one guy or something like that :tongue:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

To be entirely fair to the tedious whingey twunt, he was never gonna retire when level with the brick jawed ski champion
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starling »

White six wrote: 1 year ago To be entirely fair to the tedious whingey twunt, he was never gonna retire when level with the brick jawed ski champion
I never loved Schumi, no real reason, just lack of chemistry I guess. Also I was convinced that he had cheered and laughed on the podium of Imola 94, instead I recently found a video and he didn't. Mandela Effect, or I wasn't simply in my right mind at the moment. Anyway he retired for good at 43. Sir Lewis is 37, he could still have a lot to do, see what Alonso is doing, always getting points. But of course it depends on his state of mind. I always wonder what 34 y/o Senna would have done if not for Imola 94. He wanted Ferrari, and somewhere I read he'd have liked to drive Nascar.

Bottom line, I think this is a very particular moment for drivers, age-wise.Yuki is 21, Fernando is 40. I think the age bracket was more narrow when Senna raced. So I think a wider range of drivers can do good things, Lewis too.

However it would be interesting to compare current drivers' ages with the early age of F1. Fagioli was 53 when he won his last race in 1951. Fangio and Farina too were winning at 46-47 y/o. And I'm not considering the USA series (Indy, Nascar etc). Was it because back then they were less aware of the danger and of physical constraints?
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Very few young drivers made their debuts in the 80s despite some of the biggest fields & the pre-qualifying era.

Among 100 youngest drivers in F1 history only 5 made their debuts in the 1980s (Thackwell, de Cesaris, C. Fabi, Capelli & Caffi). For instance the 1950s aka the "old guys" decade had 7 such drivers and that's excluding Indy 500.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starling »

Exactly. When I started following him, Senna was a "young promising champion" at 26. Now we have Verstappen who debuted at 17 and had the superlicence before he was actually able to drive :D In the Eighties, drivers still had to be 25+ to be taken seriously.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Chris Amon and Pedro Rodriguez both made their debuts in the early sixties (Rodriguez in 1961, Amon 1963). They are still both in the 10 youngest ever list (Rodriguez 6th and Amon 10th youngest,)

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

https://www.planetf1.com/news/bernie-ec ... -hamilton/

Superb piece of winduppery from Bernie lol
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

White six wrote: 1 year ago https://www.planetf1.com/news/bernie-ec ... -hamilton/

Superb piece of winduppery from Bernie lol
Speaking of "daft old men" ;)