The Haas F1 Thread - News and Speculation

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

What will Haas F1 achieve in Melbourne?

Neither car will progress past Q1
18%
One or both cars will get into Q2
24%
Double-retirement
6%
A race finish
18%
Point(s)
35%

Total votes: 17

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

The Haas F1 Thread - News and Speculation

Post by kals »

Much has been talked of over the past 18-24 months as Haas F1 has gone from total start up to fully fledged F1 team. With support and engineering assistance from Ferrari there is an air of anticipation come Melbourne. What can they achieve? Some believe they have a realistic shot of points. Some look at the trials and tribulations of the last four start ups from 2009-2010... Virgin Racing, Hispania, Lotus and USF1... and point to the lack of development, pace and obviously points.

The last new team to score points on their debut was Brawn GP in 2009. But they were already an experienced operation that just changed hands over the winter. The last fully fledged start up to score on their debut was Toyota in 2002, when Salo scored a 6th place. Previous to that was Sauber at Kyalami in 1993.

Start up teams who score on their debut are few and far between. Will Haas F1 join that exclusive club?
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Judging on previous form, I hope they don't since scoring in your debut race is usually the kiss of death for the team long term.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

I am curious to see what will happen. I would not be surprised if they unveil an Alfa Romeo sponsorship before Melbourne
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

caneparo wrote:I am curious to see what will happen. I would not be surprised if they unveil an Alfa Romeo sponsorship before Melbourne
That sounds a bit, erm..... half arsed. (Alfa Haas) :tongue: :suspicious: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

That makes sense, it would also be good if the engine ran Alfa Romeo branding.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Were Toyota a completely fresh team in 2002? They didn't buy any other team's assets?

I doubt they'll score, the real question will be can they outperform Manor? Manor have everything they need to create a good package this season, but going by previous trends, they will be as far off this year as they have always been.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

PTRACER wrote:Were Toyota a completely fresh team in 2002? They didn't buy any other team's assets?
Yes to both. They did however go through an intensive testing program throughout 2001 where they logged mileage at most circuits on the F1 calendar, with both McNish and Salo conducting testing responsibilities. This is Salo at Silverstone:

More pictures here - http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/11/17/t ... -pictures/
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

It hasn't been mentioned here, but Haas suffered a major front wing failure in the first day of testing. The wing just dropped off and went underneath the car, kind of like what happened to Hulkenberg in Hungary last year, and Minardi in 2004/5? on a Friday race session at Barcelona.

They thought it was a problem with the manufacturing process, but might have been the design itself, so the method they use to attach the wing to the nose will have to be changed.

Looking competitive though, which is good!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

If i am correct: Sauber had also something like that. I thought it was Peter Sauber who then pulled both cars back from the race.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Wasn't it the rear wing on the Sauber?
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Yes it was, that was in Brazil 2000-2002 timeframe.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

So who were the two who voted for 'Point(s)' in the pole? Congrats.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Well. I voted for "points" after the race was over. So, no fun for me. :amazed:

But I was pleasantly surprised by the form Haas showed. Solid race.

However, they need to get to the bottom the "engine" trouble that was plaguing the Gutierrez car. (My guess is the fickle MKU.) If they can solve the issue, we should see some reliability from them.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I think they might have gained a fan in me after that result. 6th place must have felt like a win, especially given how they started practically at the back. It's nice to have a team enter F1 and not spend five seasons qualifying and finishing in last place ever damn time :thumbsup:

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:Gene Haas believes his team has shown it can "compete with the big dogs" in Formula 1 after scoring points in its debut last weekend.

Following a tough second test blighted by technical problems, strategic mistakes made in qualifying and then Esteban Gutierrez's involvement in a horrific crash with Fernando Alonso on lap 17 of the race, the start to the team's maiden F1 campaign in Australia could not have gone much worse.

But the 63-year-old American was left smiling come the chequered flag courtesy of Romain Grosjean's fine sixth place at Albert Park.

Haas believes he has now been vindicated for the long lead-time into F1, given he opted to wait until this season to compete after being granted an entry in April 2014.

"It's been a long time in the making to do this and a lot of people have contributed to it," he said.

"Obviously the chassis, aero, engine, all work, and that's what's really important.

"That's why we took the extra year to work on that and Ben [Agathangelou, chief aerodynamicist] has spent a lot of time getting the aero right, so the car is a very stable platform.

"We've kind of known since [testing in] Barcelona we've had a lot of gremlins and technical issues and so on, but I think the fundamental chassis is going to be pretty awesome this year for us."

There was admittedly a touch of good fortune with the result given the incident with Gutierrez and Alonso laid the foundation for Grosjean's performance.

The red flag and subsequent 20-minute delay allowed Haas to change the tyres on Grosjean's car for the one and only time, with the Frenchman taking on the medium compound that saw him through to the end.

Despite that, given the strength of the chassis, and the fact Haas is bolstered by Ferrari in terms of power unit and another ancillary parts, its owner believes the team has proven it is a solid midfield runner and there is more to come.

"We didn't win it, but finishing sixth, I think it kind of validates the fact that we have a team that can compete with the big dogs," said Haas.

"The people working on Haas are great, and the result is a real morale booster.

"These guys now have confidence in what they are doing, who they are working for and I think they stand behind their drivers.

"The cars are fast, they have good equipment. I think we're going to do really, really great in the next year."

Suggested to Haas the team should go for fifth in the next race in Bahrain, he replied: "We got sixth here, so why shouldn't we go for fifth. We'll see."