The Haas F1 Thread - News and Speculation

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

What will Haas F1 achieve in Melbourne?

Neither car will progress past Q1
18%
One or both cars will get into Q2
24%
Double-retirement
6%
A race finish
18%
Point(s)
35%

Total votes: 17

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Autosport.com wrote:Gene Haas believes his team has shown it can "compete with the big dogs" in Formula 1 after scoring points in its debut last weekend.

Following a tough second test blighted by technical problems, strategic mistakes made in qualifying and then Esteban Gutierrez's involvement in a horrific crash with Fernando Alonso on lap 17 of the race, the start to the team's maiden F1 campaign in Australia could not have gone much worse.

But the 63-year-old American was left smiling come the chequered flag courtesy of Romain Grosjean's fine sixth place at Albert Park.

Haas believes he has now been vindicated for the long lead-time into F1, given he opted to wait until this season to compete after being granted an entry in April 2014.

"It's been a long time in the making to do this and a lot of people have contributed to it," he said.

"Obviously the chassis, aero, engine, all work, and that's what's really important.

"That's why we took the extra year to work on that and Ben [Agathangelou, chief aerodynamicist] has spent a lot of time getting the aero right, so the car is a very stable platform.

"We've kind of known since [testing in] Barcelona we've had a lot of gremlins and technical issues and so on, but I think the fundamental chassis is going to be pretty awesome this year for us."

There was admittedly a touch of good fortune with the result given the incident with Gutierrez and Alonso laid the foundation for Grosjean's performance.

The red flag and subsequent 20-minute delay allowed Haas to change the tyres on Grosjean's car for the one and only time, with the Frenchman taking on the medium compound that saw him through to the end.

Despite that, given the strength of the chassis, and the fact Haas is bolstered by Ferrari in terms of power unit and another ancillary parts, its owner believes the team has proven it is a solid midfield runner and there is more to come.

"We didn't win it, but finishing sixth, I think it kind of validates the fact that we have a team that can compete with the big dogs," said Haas.

"The people working on Haas are great, and the result is a real morale booster.

"These guys now have confidence in what they are doing, who they are working for and I think they stand behind their drivers.

"The cars are fast, they have good equipment. I think we're going to do really, really great in the next year."

Suggested to Haas the team should go for fifth in the next race in Bahrain, he replied: "We got sixth here, so why shouldn't we go for fifth. We'll see."
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Probably the result came as a mix of some favourable events but at least we got the good news that haas is not a stefan gp
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

https://f1i.com/news/385944-mazepin-rep ... uyout.html
Russian billionaire Dmitry Mazepin is reportedly interested in taking over the Haas team and promoting his son Nikita to Formula 1.
Sigh.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Yes I have read that story / rumour elsewhere..... just what we need another team taken over by a 'billionaire with spoilt brat son'.
It will no doubt be another seat taken from the likes of Perez or Hulkenberg for an average punter with brass.

Apparently it has stalled talks between Perez and Haas.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Haas should take Perez and a Ferrari junior next year.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I can see the reason why Gene Haas, undecided about committing to F1 last month, would have decided to recommit as he did, given the $200 million joining fee on new teams starting from scratch, gives any existing team a minimum value of similar to anyone interested in joining F1, the bonus to a newcomer being thatt comes with an automatic guaranteed entry, whereas a new team has to lodge their 200 mill application and wait approval. For Mazepin it is a really stress free entry into F1 without the hassles of finding premises, staff, all the special machinery needed, and then doing the application to join. By the same token it is an easy way out for Haas to bail out without the losses involved in closing down and paying out of staff etc and then a fire sale of assets. Its a all in done deal

I wonder whether the truth behind Haas committing to the new Concorde was just a short term committment to Haas himself, and one that gave him a saleable assett en bloc. If Mazepin is keen on obtaining a seat for his son, I guess a guiding light like Perez would be a valid asset to a new team, specifically to his son, given Perez comes with money to help relaunch the team.

From Perez point of view he might like the idea of a new billionaire owner in the team moreso than driving for a team like the current Haas..... he knows through experience at the transition of RP from a cash limited Force India what can come out of it.

At the end of the day it depends how serious Mazepin is about entering F1, or whether his thoughts are more picking up a fire sale price seat for his son. Of course it all depends also on how keen Gene Haas is to continue with a team that seems largely sponsorship free and lacking, presumably needing his own deep pockets to continue.

Of course the other option to Mazepin is doing a Lawrence Stroll, or a Latifi and bankrolling his son with a big money pay drive deal, maybe with an investment in Haas as a shareholder.

Many different ways this could go.

Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago https://f1i.com/news/385944-mazepin-rep ... uyout.html
Russian billionaire Dmitry Mazepin is reportedly interested in taking over the Haas team and promoting his son Nikita to Formula 1.
Sigh.
Mr Mazepin would do well to set up a new team and increase our grid size rather than poaching another one
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Found the Haas thread. Noted the following story today: https://www.grandprix.com/news/steiner- ... visit.html

"Gunther Steiner...visiting Maranello to check on the progress of Haas' 2022 car...where at Maranello a separate building has been commissioned to design the 2022 car."

This is not really new news, but one does have to ask does if the Haas 2022 car is going to look a whole lot like an upgraded 2021 Ferrari. It is Ferrari engineers working at Maranello creating a brand new car. The result is going to be interesting.

From a business perspective is this the future of F1, where the formerly big budget teams have a separate building where their excess staff designs cars for other teams? This really does create a new version of a "junior team."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Found the Haas thread. Noted the following story today: https://www.grandprix.com/news/steiner- ... visit.html

"Gunther Steiner...visiting Maranello to check on the progress of Haas' 2022 car...where at Maranello a separate building has been commissioned to design the 2022 car."

This is not really new news, but one does have to ask does if the Haas 2022 car is going to look a whole lot like an upgraded 2021 Ferrari. It is Ferrari engineers working at Maranello creating a brand new car. The result is going to be interesting.

From a business perspective is this the future of F1, where the formerly big budget teams have a separate building where their excess staff designs cars for other teams? This really does create a new version of a "junior team."
The cynical side of me instally felt that this is just a way of Ferrari transferring staff from their own F1 programme into another area to. sidestep budget cp restraints. This way they have staff they can hide in other budget cenres (ie Haas's budget cap) yet still have access to their skills. In addition it suggests that development / wind tunnel costs may be in this way spread across 4 cars rather than 2. Clearly some parts will need to be exclusive to each team but given the ever increasing parts list that can be shared.....

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Yup, my first thought was that this is a budget restriction compliance dodge.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Yea, I don't think it is a direct dodge. It is a separate facility, I gather with a separate budget and this can be checked by FIA. Accountants do leave trails (as Trump is about to discover). On the other hand, it is great place to store and develop staff and adds to the long-term health of the team. Also, keeps them from having to lay people off, which I gather is more expensive to do in Italy than in the United States.

Anyhow, what it does seem to do is "codify" the existence of an official B team. This was already being done by Red Bull shamelessly. So now we have a similar shameless effort by Ferrari, and then there was the "pink Mercedes" saga last season.

So, is F1 helped by having three well developed, properly funded B-teams? I am very curious as to how the new Haas will perform in 2022.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

This is an old thread, but I have to say it is pleasing to see Haas doing quite well. Seems their 1 year of sacrifice in 2021 was worth it to get a much better car this year.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bit of a bump on a thread that hsnt been used for a year no, but this is Haas news so this is the place.

Good to see this news after the team canned its major / title sponsorship this year due to the Mazepin / Uralkali Russian ties and the Ukraine biz that raised it ugly head at the startt of the season.

They really have not had much luck with title sponsorship given their William Storey /Rich Energy dramas a couple of years ago now so I wish them all the best with this news announced today..... Hopefully it is drama free and heelps the team get back to where there were. Dont forget back in 2018 they finished 5th in the WCC.

Haas announces title sponsorship for 2023 F1 season

Haas has inked a deal with MoneyGram International, with the team’s formal name becoming MoneyGram Haas F1 Team.

“We are pleased to welcome an incredible brand like MoneyGram as our new title sponsor,” said Gene Haas, Founder and Chairman of Haas F1 Team.

“MoneyGram brings a similar drive to the world of financial services, and we’re ready to work together to maximize results on and off the track.”

The team made the announcement in Austin this morning ahead of the weekend’s United States Grand Prix – billed as the team’s home event despite its factory being in the United Kingdom and much of its design work being carried out in Italy.

My initial thoughts were 'never heard of them, must be some crypto type setup that seems to be fashionable in F1 atm. It isnt. A quick look online says
MoneyGram International, Inc. is an American cross-border P2P payments and money transfer company based in the United States with headquarters in Dallas, TexasWith so many options to transfer money internationally - through bank accounts, mobile wallets, at thousands of locations and online - MoneyGram lets you find your way.
They also have announced their Haas tie up on their website .....
Driving Your World Forward
As the proud partner of Haas F1 Team, MoneyGram provides the speed, flexibility and freedom to move money on your terms.

For exclusive content, download the MoneyGram App....
They have been around since 1980 so obviously must be doing something right .

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Moneytron you say?
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Money Gram is a competitor to Wester Union. Its a pay service for instant wire transfers for when you use cash or money orders (instead of bank to bank).
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Yea, saw the news on Moneygram. According to Wikipedia, the company's revenue was $900 million in 2019. So, wondering how big of a sponsorship package they have put together. What percent of the company's revenue is going to be spent on marketing? 3%... 5% ???