F1 2023 stuff not worthy of it's own thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

White six wrote: 1 year ago Any threat from fires this weekend?
#askcarlos. :haha:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
White six wrote: 1 year ago Any threat from fires this weekend?
#askcarlos. :haha:
I'd hate to see him trying to get out of them

Looks like some fires to the west but none in the Saint Baume area currently
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

We went through several totally burnt forrest areas in Spain and Portugal. It's bad along that Iberian peninsula. If France is anything close to that, there could be a threat to the race.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

She also tweeted the it was 94 degs Fahrenheit during the test while F1 had 66 degs during their weekend in May '21.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Vassago wrote: 1 year ago She also tweeted the it was 94 degs Fahrenheit during the test while F1 had 66 degs during their weekend in May '21.
Not to mention that at Portimao had the hardest compounds available..... ie the softest was the C3.

.... or that gusting winds that changed direction caused most cars to set their best times in Q2 not Q3. I believe the gusting winds blew a lot of dust onto the track which mde Q3 particularly slippery.
For instance Lando in the McLaren was faster in Q1 than Q3.... Q3 he was 0.7 slower than Q2.

So the top 10 grid poitions were abnormally slow.

# Driver............... Car Q1........... Q2 ........... Q3

44. Lewis Hamilton MERCEDES 1:18.857 1:17.968 1:18.355
33 Max Verstappen RED BULL RACING HONDA 1:19.485 1:18.650 1:18.746
11 Sergio Perez RED BULL RACING HONDA 1:19.337 1:18.845 1:18.890
55 Carlos Sainz FERRARI 1:19.309 1:18.813 1:19.039

Lando Norris MCLAREN MERCEDES 1:18.794 1:18.481 1:19.116

As an aside there is no weigh-bridge in rookie testing... for a PR type lap it wouldnt be the first time McLaren or any team had sent a car out under the weight limit.:suspicious: :whistling:

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Is this a rookie dispensation that McLaren can randomly run a load of laps at portimao?
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Just a random thought on my part.

Last year all the times Hamilton and Verstappen had coming together incidents, a lot of the blame was put onto Verstappen. When Vettel was challenging Hamilton and they had clashes on track, more often than not the blame was put on Vettel too. Even when Hamilton and Rosberg had some argy bargy, you know what I'm going to say don't you?

This year, Verstappen and Leclerc are fighting hard, really hard, but they've barely even banged wheels let alone thrown one another off the track as far as I can remember. So what's suddenly changed? I know you could say as World Champion Max is under less pressure this year but is that really the case?

I could be way off, it wouldn't be the first time, but I wondered what the rest of you guys think about it?
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Star wrote: 1 year ago Just a random thought on my part.

Last year all the times Hamilton and Verstappen had coming together incidents, a lot of the blame was put onto Verstappen. When Vettel was challenging Hamilton and they had clashes on track, more often than not the blame was put on Vettel too. Even when Hamilton and Rosberg had some argy bargy, you know what I'm going to say don't you?

This year, Verstappen and Leclerc are fighting hard, really hard, but they've barely even banged wheels let alone thrown one another off the track as far as I can remember. So what's suddenly changed? I know you could say as World Champion Max is under less pressure this year but is that really the case?

I could be way off, it wouldn't be the first time, but I wondered what the rest of you guys think about it?
I think they perhaps have a little more respect for each other and after an initial two-ing and fro-ing back in 2019 they quickly stopped getting desperate with each other. I think it was Austria 2019 when Max barged Leclerc off the track for the lead a couple of laps from the end..... Leclerc got upset, complained to the stewards or was miffed at their nothing wrong with their 'incident under investigation'
result after that. Charles just said more or less "Sweet, it thats the way it is and what we can do I can play that game too. ISTR he got aggressive back at Max in a reverse of the situation and since then they have given each other room

Here is the incident that the Stewards said was ok and gave Charles the anything he can do I can do better idea
Usual F1.com video thing.... it is available, you just have to click watch on youtube.

And then two weeks later at Silvertone is where Charles gave Max the return treatment.

Since then they have been very respectful and give each other room. I dont think Lewis and Max have that same level of respect for each other, and maybe that is because between Max and Lewis (particularly last year) it has been a Championship on the line rather than 'just' a race, They seem to give each other less respect.

I also believe that Lewis, having for so long had the best car perhaps carried a bit of a sense of entitlement that can often go with that and Max doesnt think or see it that way. Being a multiple WDC also maybe gives him a reinforcement of that entitlement.... a sort of do you know who you are messing with type of thing. My poo doesnt stink! :suspicious:

Bottom line is I think Charles is a lot more a respectful driver than Lewis. And in return Max acknowledges that and knows he can dice closely with Charles respectfully.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

I think you're right @Everso Biggyballies, Max and Charles clearly do respect one another more and that shows on the track. They both understand that they don't have to be too aggressive and that if they both behave properly, they will both benefit from that.

It just seems to me that Hamilton doesn't show that level of respect when he races, he seems to feel that he has the right to do whatever he likes and I think that is wrong in any driver, that sense of entitlement. Hamilton isn't the first driver to be like that and I'm sure he won't be the last, but it's still not a good way to behave in my view.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Lewis was rusty wheel to wheel. Imola set off the chain, then Spain, then Lewis' shit move at Silverstone. At that point, Max really got his elbows out.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Star wrote: 1 year ago It just seems to me that Hamilton doesn't show that level of respect when he races, he seems to feel that he has the right to do whatever he likes and I think that is wrong in any driver, that sense of entitlement. Hamilton isn't the first driver to be like that and I'm sure he won't be the last, but it's still not a good way to behave in my view.
The lack respect of Lewis is something that he has shown towards more drivers. When he had not the dominant car (pre-2014) he has way more clashes on the track. With the dominant car far less. But that is obvious when you are in front.

But mostly: he is a driver who also fights other drivers OUTSIDE the track. With mind games. "That guy". Throwing the cap with #2 to Nico. I still wonder if Jenson gave him a “message” at Canada 2011.

Think you are familiar with this vid.

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

erwin greven wrote: 1 year ago
Star wrote: 1 year ago It just seems to me that Hamilton doesn't show that level of respect when he races, he seems to feel that he has the right to do whatever he likes and I think that is wrong in any driver, that sense of entitlement. Hamilton isn't the first driver to be like that and I'm sure he won't be the last, but it's still not a good way to behave in my view.
The lack respect of Lewis is something that he has shown towards more drivers. When he had not the dominant car (pre-2014) he has way more clashes on the track. With the dominant car far less. But that is obvious when you are in front.

But mostly: he is a driver who also fights other drivers OUTSIDE the track. With mind games. "That guy". Throwing the cap with #2 to Nico. I still wonder if Jenson gave him a “message” at Canada 2011.

Think you are familiar with this vid.

I hadn't seen that vid actually, so thanks for putting it up, but it proves my point more than just my memory of him crashing into people. Others have often had to take the blame, but it is more often than not him who is the problem in my view. I don't like drivers with that kind of attitude, as I say he's not the first and I'm sure he won't be the last either.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

When We Were Young - Short Documentary on Formula 1 Drivers

Found this on FIA website.... an FIA produced short doco on the current F1 drivers and their dreams as kids in karts. I enjoyed it, and pics of some of the drivers as kids is quite 'cute'. I enjoyed it. A bit more real than Drive to Survive!
Every Formula 1 driver started with a dream. A dream that would one day become a reality.

In this film, all of the current Formula 1 drivers share their memories, their beginnings, and explain to us what transformed them, what created their desire to compete, what made them pursue the dream that made them who they are today.

They are the living example of a dream come true.

You can now hear their stories.

The project :

The FIA aims to encourage more people to get involved in motor sport by inspiring the next generation to follow in the footsteps of the world’s greatest competitors.

In addition to this 17’00 short documentary, we will also create 20 episodes of 1’30” for each driver. They will be posted on our social channels throughout the rest of the season.

When We Were Young is a 2022 FIA project created by Vincent Ramond, and directed by Arthur Chays. Executive producer: Outcast.

Featuring:
Lewis Hamilton, George Russell, Max Verstappen, Sergio Perez, Charles Leclerc, Carlos Sainz Jr, Lando Norris, Daniel Ricciardo, Fernando Alonso, Esteban Ocon, Pierre Gasly, Yuki Tsunoda, Sebastian Vettel, Lance Stroll, Alexander Albon, Nicholas Latifi, Zhou Guanyu, Valtteri Bottas, Kevin Magnussen and Mick Schumacher.

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Star wrote: 1 year ago
I hadn't seen that vid actually, so thanks for putting it up, but it proves my point more than just my memory of him crashing into people. Others have often had to take the blame, but it is more often than not him who is the problem in my view. I don't like drivers with that kind of attitude, as I say he's not the first and I'm sure he won't be the last either.
It started way back during his formative years. Senna and Schumacher were his idols as a young driver (even before F1). And he has alot of the same traits. The mind games. Pushing other drivers to lift (and the act of surprize when they don't). The blame is for your rivals (not oneself). Etc...
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Is this new arsenal doc by the producers of DTS?

Precisely the same retrospectively added fake media voiceovers and interviews with the protagonists pretending to be during events but clearly after it . Same pacing too
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.