The weird and wonderful world of Lewis Hamilton

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I have a question for the people who feel Piquet is being treated unfairly. What is "cancelling"? Is it when the press stops reporting on what a celebrity is saying? Or is it when fans just stop following that person on line? Is it permanent or temporary? Would someone like Harvey Weinstein be "cancelled"? Or who would be a good example of someone who was "cancelled"? Is Piquet actually "cancelled" in this circumstance?
To me what happened to Piquet were "concequences" of his own actions (barred from the F1 paddock for now? What else was done?). We will (I'm sure) hear from Piquet again in the future. From my perspective he was not cancelled but is instead suffering from concequences he created.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago I have a question for the people who feel Piquet is being treated unfairly. What is "cancelling"? Is it when the press stops reporting on what a celebrity is saying? Or is it when fans just stop following that person on line? Is it permanent or temporary? Would someone like Harvey Weinstein be "cancelled"? Or who would be a good example of someone who was "cancelled"? Is Piquet actually "cancelled" in this circumstance?
To me what happened to Piquet were "concequences" of his own actions (barred from the F1 paddock for now? What else was done?). We will (I'm sure) hear from Piquet again in the future. From my perspective he was not cancelled but is instead suffering from concequences he created.
I see that back in Brazil (just a reminder, the country Nelson where said the word is commonplace) a Brazilian judge on Monday ordered an investigation be opened into allegations that Piquet used racist and homophobic slurs about Lewis Hamilton. (Im not sure I recall the homophobic slurs mentioned tbh) Anyway further video evidence has been produced that shows further racial slurs and homophobic language re Lewis.
Three-time F1 champion Nelson Piquet has been caught using another slur against Lewis Hamilton.
More video in Brazilian media shows retired Formula One champion Nelson Piquet using homophobic language and more racial slurs about Lewis Hamilton.

There was also a fourth instance of a racial slur about Hamilton.
A Brazilian judge on Monday ordered an investigation be opened into allegations that retired Formula One driver Nelson Piquet used racist and homophobic slurs about Lewis Hamilton.

The 69-year-old Piquet made the comments in interviews filmed in November, which only came to wider attention late in June.The charges were brought by four human rights groups, which want three-time world champion Piquet to pay 10 million Brazilian reals (c1.5million GBP) for allegedly causing moral damage to black and LGBTQ people.

Piquet, who did not reply to a request for comment from The Associated Press, will have 15 days to state his case to judge Felipe Costa da Fonseca Gomes of the Distrito Federal court.
.https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorspor ... s-hamilton

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago I have a question for the people who feel Piquet is being treated unfairly. What is "cancelling"? Is it when the press stops reporting on what a celebrity is saying? Or is it when fans just stop following that person on line? Is it permanent or temporary? Would someone like Harvey Weinstein be "cancelled"? Or who would be a good example of someone who was "cancelled"? Is Piquet actually "cancelled" in this circumstance?
To me, cancelling is when somebody apologises, but they are limited in their future opportunities regardless of that apology or repeatedly tarred with the brush of being a racist, homophobic or whatever they've done, despite their apology and learning.

Take Lewis Hamilton. He made transphobic comments, but mention that to a Lewis fan and "He learned from it, he's changed, look what he does for pride!"

Max made a stupid comment calling (Stroll?) a mongol. It's like the UK slang "mong", which is like "retard" is used in America. Is Max constantly called a racist by those Lewis fans, despite that not being a racist term? Yes. Lewis fans actively try and cancel Max.

Now, Piquet is another case. He gave a half arsed apology and probably only did that due to an advisor saying do it, or maybe his family. Now, should he be cancelled (Opportunities limited for social and work), I would say for a period, until he's demonstrated he has changed.

I think we've all done or said something inappropriate, and it's come from ignorance, or it's been "ok at the time", and has become insensitive over the years as the world has changed around us. Just look at the way trans people are treated in the media even in the 90s and 00s, and you'll see that what you could get away with then isn't something acceptable now.

EDIT: On Weinstein, there is cancelling, and there is criminal...
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago
I think we've all done or said something inappropriate, and it's come from ignorance, or it's been "ok at the time", and has become insensitive over the years as the world has changed around us. Just look at the way trans people are treated in the media even in the 90s and 00s, and you'll see that what you could get away with then isn't something acceptable now.
Just think of this:

Would they produce the movie "Blue Lagoon" without any problems, today? Don't think so.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

erwin greven wrote: 1 year ago Just think of this:

Would they produce the movie "Blue Lagoon" without any problems, today? Don't think so.
The hundred+ year history of the Blue Lagoon:

Original Novel (1908): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Lagoon_(novel)
Silent film (1923): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_ ... 1923_film)
UK film (1949): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_ ... 1949_film)
Brook Sheilds version (1980): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_ ... 1980_film)
Canadian rip-off (1982): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_(1982_film)
Milla Jovovich version (1991): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_the_Blue_Lagoon
The Awakening (2012): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lago ... _Awakening
recent commentary (2019): https://www.rogerebert.com/chazs-blog/s ... lue-lagoon
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Ruslan wrote: 1 year ago The hundred+ year history of the Blue Lagoon:

Milla Jovovich version (1991)
How did 16-year-old me not know about this?!?!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago

Actually, the best thing she has done in her career was her album in 1994: The Divine Comedy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago

Not many did apparently :wink: ..... it was a box office disaster making only $2million against production cost of many times millions. For reference the original made over $55million many years earlier and was one of the top box office successes of that year

XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago
To me, cancelling is when somebody apologises, but they are limited in their future opportunities regardless of that apology or repeatedly tarred with the brush of being a racist, homophobic or whatever they've done, despite their apology and learning.

Take Lewis Hamilton. He made transphobic comments, but mention that to a Lewis fan and "He learned from it, he's changed, look what he does for pride!"

Max made a stupid comment calling (Stroll?) a mongol. It's like the UK slang "mong", which is like "retard" is used in America. Is Max constantly called a racist by those Lewis fans, despite that not being a racist term? Yes. Lewis fans actively try and cancel Max.

Now, Piquet is another case. He gave a half arsed apology and probably only did that due to an advisor saying do it, or maybe his family. Now, should he be cancelled (Opportunities limited for social and work), I would say for a period, until he's demonstrated he has changed.

EDIT: On Weinstein, there is cancelling, and there is criminal...
In this case I agree with everything you have said.
I also get frustrated when we get a sincere appology from someone who has done something wrong and appears that they are looking to change, but certain elements can't seem to move on. In the F1 arena this seems to be most often the toxic fanbase of a driver against their rivals. It needs to stop.
Likewise the PR appology rather than a sincere appology seems to be more common and makes it harder to believe when someone is truly regretting their actions/past behaviours. In these situations I like to use the wait and see approach. Are their future actions consistent with someone who is looking to change behaviours, or are they falling into the same patterns again?

The fact that Piquet's original appology was completely half-arsed led me to believe he deserved his consequences. The new reports of further insults and slurs just re-enforces the fact that he is not looking to change or learn from anything right now. Sad.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I'll post more about this tomorrow, but a shit storm has been going on across F1 twitter for the past 10 days.

"CENTURION LEWIS", a "well loved" Twitter user (think CultLH fanboy posting about how great Lewis is all the time), died in early August.

This came shortly after they had visited the Merc factory and watched the Hungarian GP from their base.

Only thing is, he didn't have terminal cancer. He wasn't 20. He was a 28 year old man with a wife and children, who was fraudulently getting gifts from twitter users, and getting a free factory tour from Merc F1.

Their story was called out in the days that followed by one twitter user, with a load of inconsistent narratives ezposed. Then they were naturally subjected to vile abuse from CultLH online, because they're fuelled by love.

A week later, the twitter user unleashed a full "This is the truth" tweet thread.

CultLH in gullible and stupid shocker.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Understandably the @Centurionlewis account no longer exists.
When social comment ends up with death threats I am out. Thankfully here we seem to behave as adults. They should all try it. But this is the new fans that F1 want to cater to. :nuts: :annoyed: :aggro:

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

John wrote: 1 year ago Image

Oh dear. Hope he won the bet!

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
John wrote: 1 year ago Image

Oh dear. Hope he won the bet!
Dunno why but it has me thinking about The Gimp from Pulp Fiction.

2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

PT wore it better.

Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion