Big meeting regarding engines this weekend feat. Porsche and Audi

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

The whole situation with new entrants remains me of a car crush in slow motion. Any new entrant must show their value they bring to the sport (relevant to the dilution of rewards), we are told. So, the entrant has to pay 200 MM, and what else..?

Brown - I want American! Why? Because Andretti is famous, and Andretti raced in all kind of series. (Hmm, I remember him in F1.)
Renault - we want American, because we want our name in that market. (Their factory in Russia was confiscated and nationalized.)
Horner - expansion should be covered by Liberty's account ( :thumbsup: ). I am not his fan, but he is right with this one.

Entity VAG meanwhile is being pushed into background, as Money and Nationalistic politics have taken over the sport.

The question why not accept all three has been probably answered. Liberty wants more music for less money, and teams are pushing back. I am not sure to where all of this is heading, but it doesn't look good right now. How any new entrant can satisfy demand to show their value for the sport? What kind of nonsense is that?

You drive, you are good, people talk about you, and want to see you. You are not a STAR of the show, until you drive. Not before. This is not Hollywood, Mr. Brown.

Andretti's name will be all over the place, until they potentially drive good enough for Q3 like Haas. Then all name-shine and noise will die very quickly. There are no guarantees, so, why demand it? Let them all in, or no one. The only solutions available. All three have potential to be good for the F1 due to their pedigree.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2022.05.17 6:13 UTC

After reading latest blah-blah article (link provided), I am not sure whether some of these highly paid TP(s) really know what they want from new entrants (other than money, or for an entrant get lost). Has anyone actually defined criteria how is evaluated "long term value to the F1"? Sure, new entrant needs some good CV to be accepted, but other than that? Long term benefit for the F1 by Andretti and/or VAG is being questioned, yet Stroll is in. Go and figure. It all sounds to me like there is one demand today, two new will develop tomorrow, and so on. There is (IMO) dubious credibility what Horner is stating, yet to give him a break, maybe this is actually problem created by the owners, rather than teams.

Historical fact is, BE shafted Mercedes when they entered, claiming they have done nothing for GP racing. At the end they didn't get what he paid other teams. (In my recollection Mercedes actually was the GP when BE was drinking mother's milk, or baby formula, whatever they fed him). Hit came in 2014 and BE was standing there watching as destruction started.
Today I think history of GP racing can serve as a case study in tertiary schools what can happen when a sport is taken over by business interests. (Before someone jumps on me, please remember there are good and bad aspects of business side by side.)

http://www.f1reader.com/news/horner-den ... ess-315086
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2022.05.30 8:38 UTC
Could this speed up a decision whether a new entrant is welcomed, or needed?

http://www.f1reader.com/list/news/lates ... axe-316975
Toto Wolff has said Mercedes could drop one of their customer engine teams in the future due to the low profit margins in providing their power units.
I think that this decision has been probably already made internally. We are witnessing slow withdraw from the sport by MB. I can think of (in speculative terms) quite a few potential reasons for that, despite their heritage and love for racing. How far they will go remains to be seen. They own only 1/3 of the team, and on engine side production is contracting. Things will change, as they always do.

GP247:
Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff said he wants to cut from three to two the number of non-factory teams that race with its engines, and he sees downsizing as the proper path forward.

Wolff told the Financial Times in an interview published at the weekend that new spending rules meant Mercedes was no longer making “substantial amounts” from providing engines to others.
FiA made their limitations, MB makes theirs. That's how it works. FiA however should not forget who makes a show possible in the first place, and it's not them.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2022.06.24 7:47 UTC

Another delay - are they IN or OUT?

Whilst there is enough blame to go around for repeated delays regarding entry of VAG into the sport, it is hard to absolve Liberty and FiA from responsibility for their financial structure which sets framework for this farce. There is no point to threaten flamboyantly Audi and Porsche as one writer has done recently, if insiders cannot agree among themselves on definitions and rules of the game.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/113699/2 ... ement.html

Honda wants to come back? Don't say. I hold brand in respect, but their floundering positions regarding F1 makes one dizzy.

Can I be a fly on the wall at RB headquarters when this comes up? Please, please...can I?
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2022.06.28 14:54 UTC

Here we go again: maybe in September then?
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/113949/2 ... ement.html

Well, VAG has to decide whether this charade is worth waiting for. I have my doubts.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2022.07.15 16:22 UTC
https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/07/15 ... tin-stake/
I don't want to guess how Sebastian feels about it, however it occurred to me, based on their (reported) desire to acquire total ownership of a team, what about rumor Audi is in negotiations to purchase the AM team?

Room is full of smoke now.

I am not disturbed by it, because I don't believe AM is a right team for them anyway. I would say Sauber or Minardi are both better choices.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Alfa Romeo /Sauber seems to be the favourite and detailed talks seem to have happened.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always