'Like' button in Motorsport Discussion

Announcements of any new features or alternations to the forum will be posted here. This is the place to submit any problems you have or suggestions on how to improve the forum.

Do you want it back?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 13

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

'Like' button in Motorsport Discussion

Post by PTRACER »

The button was disabled in the Motorsports Discussion forums to encourage people to reply to each other with real posts.
In the Photos and Videos forums, the button is enabled so we can 'thank' for content and it keeps those sections tidy.

However, if people want it back, I can reinstate it. Let me know your thoughts.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

You'll get annoyed with me when I spam the Board with posts just containing "thanks" pretty quick I think...

Sometimes there is no need to continue a conversation, the thanks mod kind of gives you a way to say you've read that persons reply without having to clutter up the forum more.

IMHO
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Bump.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

The like button is quite useful.... if I really like something I usually post a comment as well. Sometimes I would say I click like when I probably wouldnt post anything anyway.
Often I will 'like' something and try and add to what I liked, or why I liked it, so I wouldnt say I click like instead of posting.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

They had it in one forum I was recently at. I am not sure it is a good idea. It does seem to dumb down the discussion and also sort of leads to "cliquishness," which was a problem with that forum.

I voted no.

Curious to get @Star opinion on this, as she was also recently there.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago The like button is quite useful.... if I really like something I usually post a comment as well. Sometimes I would say I click like when I probably wouldnt post anything anyway.
Often I will 'like' something and try and add to what I liked, or why I liked it, so I wouldnt say I click like instead of posting.
Exactly, I'm not going to type a post simply to say 'I agree' and that's where a like button is useful. But if I truly have something to add to what the person I agreed with said, I'm going to say it anyway. Therefore, not having a like button just to 'encourage' me to post something is logic I just don't get. I thought the motorsport discussion forum didn't have a like button because it was a bug in the software or something lol.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

SB83 wrote: 3 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago The like button is quite useful.... if I really like something I usually post a comment as well. Sometimes I would say I click like when I probably wouldnt post anything anyway.
Exactly, I'm not going to type a post simply to say 'I agree' and that's where a like button is useful. But if I truly have something to add to what the person I agreed with said, I'm going to say it anyway. Therefore, not having a like button just to 'encourage' me to post something is logic I just don't get. I thought the motorsport discussion forum didn't have a like button because it was a bug in the software or something lol.
............. ^ LIKE ^ ..........(hint, hint ;))
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I honestly couldn't decide for a while which way to vote on this, sorry. My problem was that I can see both sides of the argument. :dunno:

Sometimes the button is very useful to let someone know you agree with them or that you would have said the same thing, however it is also a way of communicating without actually bothering to communicate if you see what I mean.

The point @Ruslan made about the other place we were at is a valid one, it did sort of lead to groups of people all just pressing the button and assuming they had done enough. Plus in a way you sort of felt excluded if your posts weren't 'liked' by them, or at least I felt that way, maybe that's just me though. :oops:

On balance I guess I'd have to say no, sorry.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Thanks for the feedback Star. I tend to agree with your reasons for keeping it out of Motorsport Discussion.

I think the conclusion is - keep it disabled for now.

jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

Star wrote: 3 years ago Plus in a way you sort of felt excluded if your posts weren't 'liked' by them,
So what? If you believe in what you're posting, and have rationale to back it, then to 'ell with "them". Take a stand and don't cower......
Your opinion is as valid as anyone's. :)

jimclark
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago Thanks for the feedback Star. I tend to agree with your reasons for keeping it out of Motorsport Discussion.

The irony being if there had been a like button I'd have liked this post ;) :agreepost:
jimclark wrote: 3 years ago
Star wrote: 3 years ago Plus in a way you sort of felt excluded if your posts weren't 'liked' by them,
So what? If you believe in what you're posting, and have rationale to back it, then to 'ell with "them". Take a stand and don't cower......
Your opinion is as valid as anyone's. :)
Thanks @jimclark :thumbsup: I don't cower but I do have little self esteem at times. I try not to have, but there you go.

jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

jimclark
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago Curious to get @Star opinion on this, as she was also recently there.
Biggest plot twist of the thread. I had no idea. :thumbsup:
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago Thanks for the feedback Star. I tend to agree with your reasons for keeping it out of Motorsport Discussion.

It's not that I'm not flattered that you tok my opinion so seriously, honestly, I am just a little surprised that you did. After all I'm one of your newer members and the others made valid points as well.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago Curious to get @Star opinion on this, as she was also recently there.
Biggest plot twist of the thread. I had no idea. :thumbsup:
Oh I just realised, you didn't know I was a she until you saw that post, got it ;)

@PTRACER I take it back. I was wrong, I have changed my mind, I wish to withdraw my vote against a like button in the Motorsport Disucssion section!! Please can we have one? Please? :fingers: