phpBB 3.2.0 Upgrade

Announcements of any new features or alternations to the forum will be posted here. This is the place to submit any problems you have or suggestions on how to improve the forum.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

phpBB 3.2.0 Upgrade

Post by PTRACER »

The old forum was running some very old software, which quite frankly has been causing me some major problems "behind the scenes" and required the forum to be upgraded.

I couldn't copy over the forum exactly as it was so have had to rebuild it. The themes have been lost, as have the 'Like posts' feature, but I have backed up all that data and when a mod becomes available I will reinstate it.

New features
1. Notifications: A feature which allows you to see when someone has quoted you, mentioned you, or PM'd you - just like Facebook.

2. Tag Users: Type the @ key and immediately after, start typing someone's username. It will appear like this and they will be notified of your tag: @PTRACER

3. Relative dates: Posts now display as '5 minutes ago' or '3 days ago' rather than a specific time and date. If you want the precise date, hover your mouse over the 'x days/hours ago' text and it will pop up.

4. Sticky Topic Info: Not a kind of dessert, but a modification which allows you to see if a post is Announcement, Sticky, or a Poll.

5. All new theme: The forum looks really sexy now doesn't it? ;) The old prosilver and subSilver themes are still available, found in your UCP. I have added a few other little mods like Image Lightbox and 'Hide subject on replies' which tidies up the forum A LOT. This forum has previously looked very, very messy. Each theme is also now fully mobile compatible. Huzzah!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

My only objection resolves around the aforementioned lack of templates, but you can fill me in on how difficult it is to upgrade, I'm sure TSO will come knocking one day to say "you need to upgrade your forum, it's shit" like they did when 2.0 was compromised.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Fine by me. I dont really care about the themes etc.... as long as I can read it and it doesnt make my eyes bleed is all I care about.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Ian-S wrote:My only objection resolves around the aforementioned lack of templates, but you can fill me in on how difficult it is to upgrade, I'm sure TSO will come knocking one day to say "you need to upgrade your forum, it's shit" like they did when 2.0 was compromised.
It was pretty smooth. The database upgrade only took a few minutes. I had to delete all mod data first though. There's no "Like" mod for 3.2.0 yet, but mChat works. I think I can live without the 'Like' feature tbh.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

What do you mean by delete the mod data? The columns/rows in the database?
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Ian-S wrote: 7 years ago What do you mean by delete the mod data? The columns/rows in the database?
Yes. You need to clear any columns/rows which are non-standard to phpBB3 using that tool. Otherwise, if you try to install that mod again in the future, it will see a conflict and it won't let you install it.

So for example, the new mChat extension wouldn't install until I deleted all the data pertaining to the 3.0.x version of the mod.

Also, I just quoted you. Can you tell me if this appears in 'Notifications'?

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

PTRACER wrote: 7 years ago
Ian-S wrote: 7 years ago What do you mean by delete the mod data? The columns/rows in the database?
Yes. You need to clear any columns/rows which are non-standard to phpBB3 using that tool. Otherwise, if you try to install that mod again in the future, it will see a conflict and it won't let you install it.

So for example, the new mChat extension wouldn't install until I deleted all the data pertaining to the 3.0.x version of the mod.

Yes there was a dot with a 1 in, so seems to be working.
I've so heavily modified our forum I can't remember what is standard and what isn't, does this tool come with the new forum or do you have to do it manually?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Ian-S wrote: 7 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 7 years ago

Yes there was a dot with a 1 in, so seems to be working.
I've so heavily modified our forum I can't remember what is standard and what isn't, does this tool come with the new forum or do you have to do it manually?
The tool is separate. You just upload it to your phpBB3 directory and then manually type the link to the folder (which is /forums/stk/). You have to do it before you start upgrading the files, because it's not compatible with anything above 3.0.14.

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Cheers, the only thing i don't like so far is the author being on the right, i don't think i'll ever get used to that :lol:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Ian-S wrote: 7 years ago Cheers, the only thing i don't like so far is the author being on the right, i don't think i'll ever get used to that :lol:
Very easy to move that over to the left actually :happy: I like it on the right with this theme though. Makes it look tidier.

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Grrrr ;)
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I'm totally in love with this new look forum. All the extensions are 100% compatible with all themes. I've made a lot of changes with the CSS to make everything look a little less clunky. And we have some new features too.

One is the Mention system. Type the @ sign, then begin typing a username. A small box should appear with the username in it. If it doesn't, then place the username inside mention tags. E.g.:

Code: Select all

[mention]PTRACER[/mention]
E.g. #2
@Ian-S

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Looks good! :thumbsup:

Much better than the old one.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Tom
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Tom »

I'm with @Ian-S here and the movement of the usernames to the right and loss of the old theme isn't sitting well with my stuck-in-a-rut nothing-shall-ever-change attitude.

Still, you pay the bills and have the skills to run the place, so if the boss says this is how it'll be then this is how it'll be. :mrgreen:
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

It's not very phone friendly (but that will come) but it's by far the best implementation of this version I've experienced so far, makes you wonder just what other sites are doing wrong...