The Great Merge 2016

Announcements of any new features or alternations to the forum will be posted here. This is the place to submit any problems you have or suggestions on how to improve the forum.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

That's a well-written tribute to our forum, and others like it Toni, thank you :thumbsup: I totally agree with what MonteCristo said some days/weeks ago - using Facebook and twitter is like shouting into an abyss. It's only one step away from being live chat. Forums are a much more permanent record and whatever discussions you have are therefore more meaningful.

----------------

Well, I'm very sad to announce that F1onboard and F1world have rejected our suggestion for a merge.

Despite only having literally two active members besides myself, the admin of F1onboard has decided to keep his board alive for what it is. The decision is silly in my view. There's almost nothing to merge with, but I have to respect his decision.

F1world rejected on the grounds that the 5 or 6 people there are close friends who like things the way they are, which is what I expected.

Meanwhile, the remaining members of Forumula1.com are reluctant to even discuss it and so far only one moderator has given his opinion ("If this forum closes I'll just chat on Facebook instead"). And multiple posts/threads on The-Pit-Lane.co.uk have been totally ignored by everyone - admins, members, whatever. No one gives a shit about that forum clearly.

So it's back to Plan A - attracting people through YouTube and existing social media, and promoting The Fastlane on whatever forums you also use. Gaming forums especially. I think the CPdB will also help attract new members eventually.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

I have no Twitter or Facebook accounts and never will.
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I don't blame you. I hardly give a damn what people are doing in their private lives and half of it is made up/exaggerated for attention.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

That's a real shame, but can't be helped. Maybe they'll come around. Only took FMB 5 years or so!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

I`m still chatroom mod at Ten Tenth. ;)
From the almost 10 years on and off there, I remember that we once gained a large group of chatters when the old speed tv forums died and the folks looked for a new place because they were reluctant of using speed tv's new approach of using twitter and facebook. I think that some of them founded the Motorsports Mayhem forum inbetween.
I have been a chatroom mod at good old Speedsims forum before from about 2000 until the place died and have seen many boards coming and going.

I`m using facebook and twitter. They both are pretty good to find pictures, texts results on motorcycle road racing. Also lots of ex-racers seem to hang out there as well as the road racing clubs, too. I`ve been and still am in contact with Jim Curry, Stan Dibben, Hugh Anderson, Michelle Duff, Carolynn Sells to name a few , through the social media services.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

No Andy, you're not supposed to say good things about Facebook. It's bad, ALL BAD :tongue:

I'm tempted to promote us through Reddit and some of the chatrooms there. Do the FOM monitor reddit if I start giving out links? :suspicious:

caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

PTRACER wrote: Well, I'm very sad to announce that F1onboard and F1world have rejected our suggestion for a merge.

Despite only having literally two active members besides myself, the admin of F1onboard has decided to keep his board alive for what it is. The decision is silly in my view. There's almost nothing to merge with, but I have to respect his decision.
If being self referential is what they want, let's just leave them in their peaceful seclusion, and let's move to plan A :thumbsup:
We really appreciate your committment PT, go on!
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
pob_
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: _
Favourite Driver: _
Favourite Circuit: _
Car(s) Currently Owned: _

Post by pob_ »

PTRACER wrote:Do the FOM monitor reddit if I start giving out links? :suspicious:
Yes, they monitor reddit: this season they've cracked down on the gifs made by /u/BottasWMR.
Predict the top 10 each race, play for the-fastlane in the interforum league! :drunk:
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I'd be very surprised if FOM were not aware of us.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

PTRACER wrote:No Andy, you're not supposed to say good things about Facebook. It's bad, ALL BAD :tongue:
DOH'OH
:bye:
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Any thoughts about revisiting this again? Maybe some might come around to the idea.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I think I did all I can do tbh :down: We've had 300+ sign-ups in 12 months and hardly any of them have stayed.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Hehehe...Well I shan't call them potential victims...

I've made another change: "Notify me when a reply is posted" is now a default setting for new members. So they'll get emails in their inbox when people reply to threads they posted in.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

By the way - I've been observing TBK- Light a lot lately and they are losing their popularity quite fast. There are more of us discussing the Chinese GP qualifying here today than at TBK. Don't get upset, but the Great Merge might head in that direction one day...

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Quite a few people over there have lost interest in motorsport, I think. They're a way off being dead though, there must still be about 50 active members.