The Great Merge 2016

Announcements of any new features or alternations to the forum will be posted here. This is the place to submit any problems you have or suggestions on how to improve the forum.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Quite a few people over there have lost interest in motorsport, I think. They're a way off being dead though, there must still be about 50 active members.
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

I don't think I've posted there for about 6 years, though I briefly login every few months to see if I've been missing anything interesting. I never have. And that's the place that was my primary forum for at least 5 years.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

EB wrote:I don't think I've posted there for about 6 years, though I briefly login every few months to see if I've been missing anything interesting. I never have. And that's the place that was my primary forum for at least 5 years.
I signed up many years ago, visited once or twice, may even have posted... and quickly decided it wasn't me and have never revisited.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: I signed up many years ago, visited once or twice, may even have posted... and quickly decided it wasn't me and have never revisited.
TBK is a lot better then it was when I presume you were there, most of the people there are now mature adults, while the most immature brats (see what I did there) left or got banned. Not that many new people have showed up and stayed though, so I think they have the same problem as we have.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

theracer120 wrote:
Everso Biggyballies wrote: I signed up many years ago, visited once or twice, may even have posted... and quickly decided it wasn't me and have never revisited.
TBK is a lot better then it was when I presume you were there, most of the people there are now mature adults, while the most immature brats (see what I did there) left or got banned. Not that many new people have showed up and stayed though, so I think they have the same problem as we have.
Yeah it was the immature brats and trolls that tainted my interest in taking them seriously.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Anyone who has ever tried to search for something there will realise TBK- is utterly useless as a resource. The whole forum could disappear tomorrow and nothing would be lost except mindless chatter, they are doing absolutely nothing to further knowledge of motorsport.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I think the search function actually stopped working a while back so a lot of stuff is missing, the index file broke or something. I suppose that's what you're referring to tho.

In fairness to them they do have a few threads which have some interesting and hard-to-find info (for example the cancelled races/race tracks that never were lists). Most of that is NASCAR/Indycar related, which this forum has never had anywhere near the same amount of interest in, probably because we are a lot more non-American.
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

The search function has problems.
I was searching for "Frutschi":
search.php?keywords=Frutschi&terms=all& ... mit=Search

But it doesn't find this post:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=404&p=307479&hilit=Ina#p307479

Maybe it doesn't search inside the quotes?
That would be a serious problem...
Motorsportrace
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Not speaking for Paul, but the search function has been broken in phpbb since 2.0, you have to rebuild an index in the control panel every few months to keep it working, and last time I did that on our relatively tiny V8 forum it took the better part of a day, so something the size of this could take a week.

They had the same problem at TBK and just gave up in the end.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Motorsportrace wrote: 6 years ago The search function has problems.
I was searching for "Frutschi":
search.php?keywords=Frutschi&terms=all& ... mit=Search

But it doesn't find this post:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=404&p=307479&hilit=Ina#p307479

Maybe it doesn't search inside the quotes?
That would be a serious problem...
Should search inside quotes. I'm rebuilding the search index now. Maybe tomorrow sometime, you can check again and see if it has worked.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

PTRACER wrote: 7 years agoF1world rejected on the grounds that the 5 or 6 people there are close friends who like things the way they are, which is what I expected.

Meanwhile, the remaining members of Forumula1.com are reluctant to even discuss it and so far only one moderator has given his opinion ("If this forum closes I'll just chat on Facebook instead"). And multiple posts/threads on The-Pit-Lane.co.uk have been totally ignored by everyone - admins, members, whatever. No one gives a shit about that forum clearly.

So it's back to Plan A - attracting people through YouTube and existing social media, and promoting The Fastlane on whatever forums you also use. Gaming forums especially. I think the CPdB will also help attract new members eventually.
And two years later, forumula1.com has fallen and The Pit Lane has totally shut down. Meanwhile, The Fastlane still motors on.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."