Rumoured/possible driver moves which did not happen?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Bottom post of the previous page:

TH Motorsport intended to run Matt Hamilton in a Skoda Octavia NGTC in the 2012 BTCC
Last edited by Nononsensecapeesh 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

1993 British Touring Car Championship:

Vic Lee running Perry McCarthy before the former's arrest.

A Prodrive-run Fiat entry.

Paul Stewart Racing running the works Ford entry.

David Price Racing running Martin Donnelly in a Mercedes.

Prodrive continuing with the BMW before switching to the Merc mid-season. Tim Sugden and possibly Bernd Schneider would have been the drivers.

Audi linked to a possible entry.

There was talk that Hyundai was considering a works entry.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Can anyone believe this?
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arch ... f1-project
The secret Volkswagen 1980s F1 project. John Nielsen believed he was going to be one of the drivers.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Richard Lyons came close to driving for Jordan in the 2004 Japanese Grand Prix. He would have replaced Timo Glock but a deal could not be agreed in time.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Ricky Rudd was offered a ride with Cal Wells #32 team for 2000, however he was less then impressed with the team for obvious reasons. He would sign with Robert Yates instead, a decision which in hindsight was a good one. Wells would sign Scott Pruett, his only full time NASCAR season would be a dismal one.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

1996 British Touring Car Championship:

BMW wanted to bring back Steve Soper and many pundits expected Peter Kox to drive for BMW full-time.

Anthony Reid contesting selected BTCC rounds in the Andy Rouse-run Nissan Primera.

Andy Rouse in a privateer Ford Mondeo.

A possible late season Hyundai entry run by Prodrive.

A possible Reynard-influenced Chrysler Stratus entry.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

On December 29th, 2008, Gillett Evernham Motorsports surprised many by announcing that A.J Allmendinger would replace Elliott Sadler in the #19 car for 2009. This caused a number of problems as Sadler was contracted through until the end of 2010 and threatened legal action against the team, Sadler's sponsors also threatened to leave if he wasn't kept in the car.

As a result of the controversy, Gillett Evernham Motorsports announced on the 8th of January 2009 that Sadler would remain in the car, and the lawsuit was dropped. Gillett Evernham merged with Petty Enterprises a day later, becoming Richard Petty Motorsports and Allmendinger was put into an additional car numbered 44.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Felipe Drugovich almost stood in for Lance Stroll at Aston Martin for this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 1 year ago Felipe Drugovich almost stood in for Lance Stroll at Aston Martin for this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix.
He might do so yet given the struggles Stroll was having in P2, onboard footage showing him having problems turning the steering wheel normally and having to be helped from his car after. To me I would say he is not fit for purpose this weekend.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Drugovich in the car tomorrow, given that to start the race you have to qualify the car.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 1 year ago Felipe Drugovich almost stood in for Lance Stroll at Aston Martin for this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix.
He might do so yet given the struggles Stroll was having in P2, onboard footage showing him having problems turning the steering wheel normally and having to be helped from his car after. To me I would say he is not fit for purpose this weekend.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Drugovich in the car tomorrow, given that to start the race you have to qualify the car.
Frankly, that wouldn't surprise me either, watch this space as the old saying goes....
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 1 year ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago

Frankly, that wouldn't surprise me either, watch this space as the old saying goes....
It counts.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 2 years ago Jordan came close to a Mercedes engine deal for 2004, the engine would have been badged as a SMART, Gary Paffett would have been one of the drivers and the EJ14 would have been based on the McLaren MP4-17D.
If BMW didn't buy out Sauber then Paffett would be even a bigger favorite to land that particular seat for 2006 (especially that he won 2005 DTM title). Alas the Mercedes link was gone and BMW carried Nick Heidfeld from Williams instead. And then came Kubica replacing a certain over the hill Canadian in the second car.

Five years later Paul di Resta had more circumstancial timing luck working the Mercedes DTM link to land at Force India.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Vassago wrote: 1 year ago
Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 2 years ago Jordan came close to a Mercedes engine deal for 2004, the engine would have been badged as a SMART, Gary Paffett would have been one of the drivers and the EJ14 would have been based on the McLaren MP4-17D.
If BMW didn't buy out Sauber then Paffett would be even a bigger favorite to land that particular seat for 2006 (especially that he won 2005 DTM title). Alas the Mercedes link was gone and BMW carried Nick Heidfeld from Williams instead. And then came Kubica replacing a certain over the hill Canadian in the second car.

Five years later Paul di Resta had more circumstancial timing luck working the Mercedes DTM link to land at Force India.
Sauber did show interest in Gary Paffett for 2005 until they signed Jacques Villeneuve.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

In his recent interview with Dale Earnhardt Jr, Bill Davis mentioned that Jeff Gordon came close to joining Evernham Motorsports and Dodge in 2001.