Cars That Never Raced

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Cars That Never Raced

Post by DoubleFault »

What are the most famous cars to have never raced? I guess that the MP4-18 is the best example, and another recent one would be the AP05 which was already a 50% wind tunnel mock up when Prost went into Liquidation.

I was interested to read that the MP4-18 is now the chassis that Mclaren use for their simulator!
SB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by SB »

Swen
http://www.gplracer.eu/ = GPL65 GPL 66 and TC's / My GPL Rank
aerogi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by aerogi »

Here's a 10 page thread for you with pics, pics and pics!

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/forum/viewto ... rum=aerogi
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/aerogi/index ... rum=aerogi , the 2nd best motorsport forum of the world! :)
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

The 2001 Benetton never raced. It just set off for a couple of hours at the same time as the other cars.

The red streamliner car designed for Bill Vukovich to drive in the 1955 Indy 500 would have been a great sight to see, but wasn't ready in time. Alas, had it been, he may well have won his 3 in a row and maybe more.
crazydude1992
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by crazydude1992 »

There was in 1974 Argentinian GP testing an IsoMarlboro with an odd nose
futuretiger9
Favourite Motorsport: 1970s F1 / sportscars
Favourite Racing Car: Porsche 956
Favourite Driver: Jacky Ickx
Favourite Circuit: Nurburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: n/a

Post by futuretiger9 »

Thankyou for the links. Some weird and wonderful machinery in there!
SB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by SB »

some older examples, now guests at classic racing events :smiley:

Ferrari "Spazzaneve"

Hill GH2

Image Image

1969 Serenissima F1

Image Image [img]http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5901 ... jj8.th.jpg
Swen
http://www.gplracer.eu/ = GPL65 GPL 66 and TC's / My GPL Rank
aerogi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by aerogi »

I think that last one actually raced a few races, not?
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/aerogi/index ... rum=aerogi , the 2nd best motorsport forum of the world! :)
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

aerogi wrote:I think that last one actually raced a few races, not?
Maybe, but not in F1, that's for sure. McLaren had a Serenissima engine in 1966, though.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote:
Maybe, but not in F1, that's for sure. McLaren had a Serenissima engine in 1966, though.
Actually the Serenissima engine only ever did one GP, the British GP in 1966. I
think I am right in saying that it is one engine that has a 100% record of scoring a point in every GP it started :tongue:

The McLaren M2B first entered F1 at Monaco in 1966 with two Ford powered cars
entered. The Ford engines were an Indy Ford 4-cam V8 reduced from its Speedway-standard 4.2 litres capacity to the Formula One limit of 3-litres. It
produced some 300bhp but had a tiny power band. Amon's car wasnt there and BM didnt finish. In Belgium 2 cars were entered, Bruce's car to be powered by the
Serenissima 3.0 litre V8engine.

Serenissima (Count Volpi) had just launched this carburetted V8 as a sports car engine. McLaren just needed a workable engine. The race M2B chassis’ rear engine-bay horns were modified to accommodate this Italian unit’s low-level side exhausts in contrast to the centre-exhaust Ford for which it had been tailor-made, and with little more than 260 horsepower Bruce took the reassembled machine to the Belgian GP, at Spa. Formula One racing was as hard and unforgiving then as it is now. After refusing for hours to start and run cleanly during practice, the new V8 finally started, but unfotunately ran its bearings after its first exploratory half lap. With no spares he non-started. At the French GP McLaren didnt appear, followed by the British GP where he qualified 13th and finished 6th, (mainly thanks to others misfortune in a race of attrition) using the Serenissima engine, in the process scoring his new McLaren marque’s first World Championship point.The Dutch GP, Bruce didnt practice or race due to Serenissima engine having problems.

The next race McLaren was at, the USGP, he turned up with the Ford engine again, and finished 5th. The (Ford) engine packed up in Mexico. In 1967 McLaren became BRM’s first customer for a 3.0L Formula One version of a new 2-cam V12 engine they (BRM) were developing primarily for sports car racing. The engine was behind schedule so the team actually used a hybrid mix of their M4B F2 car modified to to accept a 2.1 litre Tasman BRM V8 engine. The car was brilliant at Monaco, but a faulty battery whilst running 2nd dropped the car to 4th after a pit stop. The car was badly damaged at Zandvoort when Bruce went off on oil, was repaired and then caught fire testing at Goodwood and was destroyed.

McLaren didnt reappear until Canada, by which time the M5A fitted with the planned 3.0L V12 BRM engine was ready. This was used for the balance of the year and also for the first race of 1968 before being sold to Jo Bonnier when the team got hold of Cosworth DFV engines for the Spanish GP, installed in the new M7A.

They went on to record the marques first win that year at the Belgian GP, powered by a DFV. This was actually the first McLaren F1 car to run in the famous McLaren orange AFIK. Prior to that colours were 'varied'. The M4B 'interim' car was in the team’s brick-red sports car livery. The 1966 M2B F1 car had been painted white with a green stripe, partly as a distinctive stand-in for the Phantom ‘Nomura’ F1` car required by MGM who were filming John Frankenheimer’s ‘Grand Prix’ movie around the circuits

The Serenissima engine was never used by another team in F1 that I am aware of. The yellow Serenissima 'F1' car mentioned and pictured above was built and used for hillclimbing in Europe in the late 60's,(1969) and AFIK used a development of the original motor, albe4it with 360bhp, an extra 100 over the initial motor used by Bruce McLaren to score the teams first ever point.. This car went missing for a few years when it was stolen, but has now been found, and I believe is based in Germany, doing the historic events. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
PTRACER wrote:
think I am right in saying that it is one engine that has a 100% record of scoring a point in every GP it started :tongue:
True, but he also took it to Spa and Zandvoort, where I believe it failed in practice both times.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote:
Everso Biggyballies wrote:
PTRACER wrote:
True, but he also took it to Spa and Zandvoort, where I believe it failed in practice both times.

I did mention that in my post above, also the nature of the failures and why they used the Serenissima motor in the first place :tongue: :wink:
Everso Biggyballies wrote: Belgian GP, at Spa..... After refusing for hours to start and run cleanly during practice, the new V8 finally started, but unfotunately ran its bearings after its first exploratory half lap.
With no spares he non-started. At the French GP McLaren didnt appear, followed by the British GP where he qualified 13th and finished 6th, (mainly thanks to others misfortune in a race of attrition) using the Serenissima engine, in the process scoring his new McLaren marque’s first World Championship point.The Dutch GP, Bruce didnt practice or race due to the Serenissima engine having problems.
The next race McLaren was at, the USGP, he turned up with the Ford 'Indy' engine again, and finished 5th. ......

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Once again, I apologize for the resurrection, I swear I shan't make a habit of it. This doesn't just apply to F1 cars, does it?
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

The closed cockpit version of the Mercedes 300 SLR intended for the 1956 World Sportscar Championship if Autosport is to be believed.
Source
Last edited by Nononsensecapeesh 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

1969 Piper GTR
The GTR was a bespoke racecar prepared for the 1969 Le Mans 24 Hours but didn’t race due to a technicality in the regulations. The extremely low car was completely untested before arriving at Le Mans and a multitude of problems ensured it didn’t race.

At the core of the GTR was a fibreglass tub and a 1.3-liter engine from Lotus. Tony Hilder was responsible for the design which only weighed 600 kg. Aerodynamics were a huge part of the design which included a areofoil that was tested at the Kingston Polytechnic.

Unfortunately, the car suffered from multiple problems at Le Mans including the rear hatch coming off down the Mulsanne straight. Once the stewards banned the car from racing it was given to driver Tim Lalonde as reimbursement.
https://www.supercars.net/blog/1969-piper-gtr/