Your favorite non-mainstream/amateur/grassroots racing series? (or, racing's best secret)

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Your favorite non-mainstream/amateur/grassroots racing series? (or, racing's best secret)

Post by Cheeveer »

Lately, I've started to enjoy more and more grassroots and amateur racing, kind off as an escape from the politics, economics and bickering of F1, MotoGP, V8SC, GT3s, etc. It is so refreshing to watch racing that has no raison d'être from an economical POV, but exists solely for the love of racing (if that makes sense to you). Nothing corporate, no glamour, just the good old boys going at it. Where the charm outweights the expense. You could also put it this way: what is racing's best secret at the moment?

Some of the series I've been watching includes Trans-Am TA2 in the US and whatever late model series both on dirt and asphalt, the Mini Miglia in the UK, and Touring Car Masters in Australia. Then I also appreciate the lesser classes in the NLS/Nürburging 24, and of course my favorite domestic Swedish championship V8 Thundercars (same cars as in TA2).

So what are your favorite grassroots/amateur/non-mainstream racing series?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I love to watch the already mentioned Trans Am and TA2 races. Some former NASCAR drivers run there. Also US series like World Racing League and ChampCar Endurance Series.
Further of course Creventic 24h Series, which is tbh not mainstream, but attracts top drivers sometimes. Like last week at Mugello. Romain Dumas and Sebastien Loeb ran in the 2x6 hour race.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

I would recommend anyone interested in motorsport to one day attend a sprintcar event.

You might not love it. It's just short oval racing, after all.

But it's totally different to road/closed course racing, paved oval racing, and even sedans on dirt or paved ovals.

It's an experience.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion