2025 Driver Market

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Toto denied plans meeting Max, which was expected he would do that, but at the same time, essential players are on location (just in case :haha: ).
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Max has to decide whether he will give up (potential) WDC 2025 with Red Bull, for (purportedly) €150M (USD 160.5) annually, enhanced with stability of the working environment Mercedes team represents. Legitimate concern is whether Newey's defection shall launch RB team's destabilisation ending with more departures of other key personel. Will Mr. Horner, that miracle worker, design a new car of tomorrow others will praise with envy? It seems it may not be as dificult decision on his future today for Max as it was perhaps a month ago.

I think he will leave, and drive next year elsewhere.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Drive for Red Bull for 2025 (get another WC) then decide where to go?
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Ruslan wrote: 2 weeks ago Drive for Red Bull for 2025 (get another WC) then decide where to go?
Which teams will be hiring end of 2025?

Audi - I doubt it. Drivers hired this year will have at least 3 years contracts.
Ferrari - I doubt it. Hamilton and Leclerc will keep their jobs.
McLaren - ? Low income. Their hero is already on the job.
Mercedes - This year offer is (purportedly) €150M annually. Next year offer might be €60M annually. Think about it.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ruslan wrote: 2 weeks ago Drive for Red Bull for 2025 (get another WC) then decide where to go?
:agreepost:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Newey's magic will likely take time to kick in. There won't be a winner out of the box unless the new team is already heading up the right path.

But a team like Audi won't win immediately.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 weeks ago But a team like Audi won't win immediately.
I think they already acknowledged it will take a while to climb up. The only difference which I can detect is they aspire to do it in three years (instead "customary" five). Along that spirit they want to hit 2026 running. Someone like Max is of course not a sensible planning, but Sainz could be an excellent choice for the team.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Well if he hangs on until the end of 2026, Hamilton will be out of a contract at Ferrari potentially. I really can't see where Verstappen could go and do better than he is now other than Ferrari, but they won't want him yet I am guessing. Unless.... maybe if Adrian Newey does go there he might have some sway over who drives for them. Stranger things have happened in F1. :whistling:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Max is of the opinion the loss of Newey is not that big a thing

It seems Max is perhaps singing from a different song sheet to his Father..... Jos still seems headed down this Red Bull are going to implode avenue, and the loss of Newey being the thin edge of th wedge..... which to me is more a personal vendetta against Horner.

Max is certainly less saying that an whilst he clearly would ahve preferred for Newey not to been leaving, but seems very relaxed that his loss wont be catastrophic given the role Newey more recently had, and the strength of the support structure in the design and aero areas (ironically put in place by Horner)
"Of course, Adrian was incredibly important for the success that Red Bull had but over time his role has changed a bit," Verstappen said.

"I think a lot of people don't understand what he was actually doing. I don't say he is not doing anything, but his role has evolved. A lot of good people came into the team, that has strengthened that whole department.

"Of course, I would have preferred him to stay, because you can always rely on his experience. And as a person, he is a great guy to chat to and relate to.

"But I also really trust that the technical team that we have outside of Adrian is very, very strong and they have basically shown that for the last few years with how competitive the car is.

"So, from the outside, it looks very dramatic, but if you actually know what is happening inside the team, it's not as dramatic as it seems."

Verstappen said there was no point in personally trying to convince Newey to stay and doesn't begrudge him a new challenge.
Clearly Max is not looking at going anywhere in 2025, and I suspect 2026 as well although 2026 could be more affected by the progress of the RBPT Ford engine.... that to me is perhaps the week link in the Red Bull future.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Max dismisses Mercedes with a flat "No chance"

Further to the happy with Red Bull even without Newey as the above post, when asked in Miami about 'the 150 million Euros pa Mercedes offer' he simply gave an its not about the money answer confirming he is happy with what he is earning now..
"At the end of the day, let's say that would be the case, €150 million, but that money is not going to be the differentiator for me to go somewhere.

"Even €250 million isn't enough, because I'm happy with what I am earning and it is about performance.

"Because I know that if I was driving for P5 or P6, I'd get quite grumpy and so it is always about performance - everyone knows that. Toto also knows that."

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Max is one of a kind, true racer!
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 weeks ago Max dismisses Mercedes with a flat "No chance"

Further to the happy with Red Bull even without Newey as the above post, when asked in Miami about 'the 150 million Euros pa Mercedes offer' he simply gave an its not about the money answer confirming he is happy with what he is earning now..
"At the end of the day, let's say that would be the case, €150 million, but that money is not going to be the differentiator for me to go somewhere.

"Even €250 million isn't enough, because I'm happy with what I am earning and it is about performance.

"Because I know that if I was driving for P5 or P6, I'd get quite grumpy and so it is always about performance - everyone knows that. Toto also knows that."
See now Max has gone up in my estimation for that. It's not all about money for him, it's about winning. He knows where his bread is buttered and he's not stupid enough to throw away his chances of more championships. Not all drivers feel that way, it's refreshing when you come across one that does.

I wonder how Toto feels when he hears/reads that. At one time Mercedes was the drive to have, apparently that's not the case anymore.
Aty wrote: 2 weeks ago Max is one of a kind, true racer!

I also recall when Jacques Villeneuve wanted to return to F1 and literally said he'd race for free. Some drivers do it purely for the love of racing, and apparently Max is one of them. Though I'm not sure how he'd feel if Red Bull stopped paying him.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Driving for free? Jacques should have been paying Sauber to drive with some of the performances he put in at the end of his career!
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Max's dismissal of Toto / Mercedes takes away perhaps the major influence over the next step in the silly season for next year.

It is the major detraction to a Mercedes decision taken out of play. With no Max to cloud things the options for Mercedes are probably now less than a handful! :haha:

Of course the two principal players for that ex Lewis 2025> seat are Carlos Sainz and Antonelli..... Carlos, who seems to have rightly told Audi he wont play to their deadline game (Audi has according to reports extended their deadline of mid May for their final seat for next year to be confirmed.). Fair enough, Audi need to learn they have nothing to offer for the next two years other than potential ..... maybe for 2027 if their first F1 engine is up to the grade. when they are firmly racing as Audi.

Antonelli is of course the other main option, albeit one of greater risk due to his lack of top level experience. Yes he has lots of old F1 cat testing planned and the balance of an as we stand underwhelming F2 campaign. He is going to struggle to match the likes of Leclerc and Russell who both won their debut F2 championships. I know Toto has huge expectations of the 17 year old, perhaps too high, but I cant see him being the sensible pick.

Other than those two Mercedes options are the likes of Ocon or if a release can be negotiated for Albon from Williams. More likely with that last option is that Antonelli will replace Sargeant and do a Russell-like F1 apprenticeship. Of course that apprenticeship might be fast tracked to later this year, most likely in time just for Zandvoort when Antonelli turns 18 and will be eligible for a Superlicence. Sargeant is not doing enough to keep that seat at the moment. Of course if Tota can organise with the FIA a Superlicence exemption that Antonelli to Williams switch could happen earlier. Antonelli has the require points to qualify, he just is underage until Zandvoort.

So in my opinion there is too much risk in promoting Antonelli into the Mercedes team for next year and the way should be clear for Sainz to go to Brackley with a two year deal in his hand. (Toto will likely prefer a single year) That gives Antonelli the oportunity and time to prove he is the real deal at Williams and be able to hit the ground running when he goes to Mercedes, as did George.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Again this just continues my belief that Mercedes should offer Sainz a 1+1 deal with the option being confirmed based on performance criteria.

Sainz then has the option to jump ship to Audi if it's a shit show or continue if it's a solid relationship. Mercedes could protect their position by stating he has to have a performance adjusted improvement over Antonelli in the Williams.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 weeks ago Driving for free? Jacques should have been paying Sauber to drive with some of the performances he put in at the end of his career!
As a fully paid up memebr of the Jacques Vileneuve fan club for a number of years, I know I should argue with you about that, but I really can't :nah: :sorrow: