F1 2024 STUFF NOT WORTHY OF ITS OWN THREAD

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Aty wrote: 1 month ago
Bahrain's Mumtalakat seeks exit: McLaren up for sale after mounting losses
Somebody call Andretti and/or Horner - here is your chance...
McLaren F1 is not for sale or even rumoured to be.. All that is being rumoured is that McLaren will sell off their loss making car division. There are rumours that someone such as Elon Musk is looking at expanding his emopire and in particularly the brand name is more evocative than Tesla.

The whole idea is to be able to focus more on their ever increasing participation in other non F1 Racing categories such as Indycar, Formula E Sports Cars etc etc and to make the business solely Auto Racing.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 month ago
McLaren F1 is not for sale or even rumoured to be.. All that is being rumoured is that McLaren will sell off their loss making car division. There are rumours that someone such as Elon Musk is looking at expanding his emopire and in particularly the brand name is more evocative than Tesla.

The whole idea is to be able to focus more on their ever increasing participation in other non F1 Racing categories such as Indycar, Formula E Sports Cars etc etc and to make the business solely Auto Racing.
More here:
https://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view ... ng_losses/
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 month ago Piquet sues Salazar, claiming Germany was going to turn it around for him, and lead to him winning the 1982 title, and meanwhile says something racist.
Was eventually disproven by a friendly judge that he said anything at all :)
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

There is competition brewing between Barcelona and Madrid for hosting the F1 race. More specifically, Barcelona is reportedly investing 50 M on track improvements as a pot sweetener. I wonder if this is good move, or it is wasteful toss of good money on what is most likely a fail project. Liberty is moving out of Europe to places which will pay what is demanded, and having a race on rotation (I think) cannot be profitable for the promoter. Madrid is a fine city, but GP racing in city street is not something I cherish. I like Singapore, and Monaco, but that's about it. Rolling hills, natural terrain is probably best (to satisfy my taste). Liberty' accounting office has almost certainly different criteria.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Track improvements for 50m? You can't nuke and rebuild Catalunya with 50m.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 month ago Track improvements for 50m? You can't nuke and rebuild Catalunya with 50m.
More here:
https://www.grandprix.com/news/barcelon ... endar.html
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I have had some further thoughts on. the Massa "I was robbed (of the 2008 WDC) thing.

I made the following comment previously that much of Massa's case is based on comments from 2 people. Bernie and Todt.
....It seems BE's words regarding the rightful champion...... "Due to this, it is his (BE's) belief that Felipe Massa should have been the F1 Driver's World Champion in 2008 and not Lewis Hamilton." That is what sparked Massa off on this journey he is now on.
I also dismissed Todt's input as lacking credibility..... comments made after he had any official standing in the FIA and flawed by personal relationships.
The only person to have ever said the race should have been nullified was Jean Todt, long after he had retired from hiis position of FIA President.

That Todt claim in itself suffers it's own lack of credibility. Other than not being said whilst he was in office, let us not forget Jean Todt's son Nicholas was Felipe Massa's Personal Manager throughout his career. This Todt association was seen as influential throughout Massa's career.... especially when he joined Sauber, who utuilised th Petronas (ie Ferrari) engine.

My point is Jean Todt's dealings and belief in Massa was shown to have been influenced by his son managing Felipe.
So we are down to the credible evidence being Bernie, now well into his nineties, based on conversations he allegedly had with two people (Mosely and Whiting) who are long dead (so no confirmation or denial possible from them) that were held 15 years ago.

Doing a bit of reading and, given that Bernie has never been shy about stirring the pot and 'enhancing' stories to suit his agenda I found it interesting to read of how much Bernie and Lewis were at Loggerheads in the years of Bernie being King of the Castle (pre Liberty)

In a nutshell, Lewis, an avid user of social media from way back had very different views on its use to Bernie, an equally avid opponent of social media. Yes Bernie was certainly blinded by the fact we never had it and look where we got to. we dont need it position, a position that we all know was wrong.

Whilst I was always aware of there were issues between them and that any friendship they showed in public was a sugar coating for the media,. Bernie was glad of the attention Lewis brought to F1, the increased TV rating etc. But privately there was little love. I was never aware of how many things went on unknown to me..... the culmination of years of brewing animosity between the pair.

Lewis challenged Bernie on his social media values, Bernie had become a bit sensitive to Lewis being in effect the first driver to publicly challenge the way Bernie ran the show.....nothing new there. New kid on the block with an unprecidented. and more modern fan base, weird wardrobe, strange music tastes (to a man of Bernie age) Lewis says what he wants etc. He challenged Bernie’s refusal to embrace the emerging power of social media. A new boy in town challenging the mighty Bernie, the man who had (with help) made F1 into the moneyspinner it had become

No one crossed Bernie in those days and Lewis was sailing close to the wind. News to me was that in this period Bernie sent Lewis a stack of legal cease-and-desist letters from Formula One Management for posting their FOM copyrighted footage on his feeds.

Lewis of course continued the use of FOM material unabated. Bernie, or FOM (pretty much Bernie and a handful of assistants then) kept sending out the C&D's.

It only stopped when Liberty took over control from Bernie and gave him the Chairman Emeritus label. Basically a job with no responsibility or real function. Lewis openly spoke of his satisfaction that Bernie was gone and had no control. Hamilton didn’t disguise his satisfaction.
“I’m glad that Liberty has come in because I’m not quite sure if Bernie was here they would have made any changes,” he said in 2019.

“They still wouldn’t have social media because he thought it was useless and it’s just not important, all these different things.”
I recall also after Bernie said something controversial and non related to Lewis that Lewis went public and basically said something along the lines of Bernie being just an old out of touch geriatric and he also urged the world not to listen to old farts like Bernie. Just another incident that confirms the lack of mutual appreciation between the to, and indeed good reasoning for 'the old fart' to say something that would be upsetting to Lewis.

I think the legal term would be Bernie had "Motive". :wink:

Im sure a good legal team would tear apart any claim by Massa based on in effect flawed evidence on the basis of statements from two people with their own agendas that came out suggesting Lewis was not the real champion. On the Lewis side he has a champion that was declared and is now irrevocable on the basis of the FIA statutes in place to this day..... that of it being set in concrete after the prize giving award.

In summary:

A 90 + year old man known to, lets say, be mischievous, and with a record of saying controversial things to stir the pot. A man with an agenda and quantified long standing troubled relationship with Lewis. Based on a conversation Bernie had with two people now deceased. A man who can, in the dock stand there and credibly say im 90 whatever years old... I cant remember.

That the timing of Bernie's claim of knowledge became public so soon after Lewis makes a public statement in effect saying thank God Bernie is no longer involved..... What better excuse could Bernie have had for saying something against Lewis based on a conversation with no living witnesses..

The only possible winners here are the high profile and very expensive lawyers on both sides.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

And today McLaren are due to announce that the recapitalisation of the manufacturer and F1 team shareholder has been concluded

The deal will pave way for McLaren to pursue a technology partnership with a global automotive giant that could also involve Mumtalakat offloading a minority stake.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

The Kingdom of Bahrain Sovereign Wealth Fund aka Mumtalakat has acquired full ownership of the share capital of the McLaren Group following the conversion of all preference shares into ordinary shares.

This means that Mumtalakat Holding Company acquired, in full, shares that were previously owned by TAG Group Limited 14.32%, Michael Latifi 9.84%, as well as around 17% owned by smaller owners.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/03/22 ... ntil-2030/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

So the only thing Kiwi or British about the team now is its heritage. And its rented factory in Woking.

I wonder if they will go ahead and flog off the loss making road car division as was rumoured.

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 month ago So the only thing Kiwi or British about the team now is its heritage. And its rented factory in Woking.

I wonder if they will go ahead and flog off the loss making road car division as was rumoured.
There are no British teams in F1. Has been the case for a while.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

It's funny that there are no British teams considering Mercedes, Aston, Red Bull, Williams, Alpine, McLaren are all based in Britain, all originated as British teams (Tyrell, Jordan, Stewart, Williams, Toleman and McLaren respectively) and are primarily British staff, with a significant number of Brits in key positions.

We really are in an era of "Made In Britain, but Rebranded"

Mercedes are the funniest of the lot, considering the key to their dominance is Mercedes HPP, which is also British based and led by a Brit, and Ross Brawn who created the structure and car for that era.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ruslan wrote: 1 month ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 month ago So the only thing Kiwi or British about the team now is its heritage. And its rented factory in Woking.

Ironically three of the current teams, McLaren, Aston Martin and Williams, still, despite their ovrseas ownership, identify as British teams in as much as they enter under a British licence. I guess that for those three teams the British National Anthem would play for the constructor in that part of the podium procedure (after the drivers National Anthem they play the Constructors National Anthem).

Mind you the last time the British Anthem was played for a Constructor was when it was still God save the Queen, back at Monza in 2021 for McLaren. Since then it has been only the Austrian Italian and German Anthems played for the constructors (German 6 times, Italian 5 times and Austrian 44 times at a rough count.)

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Ruslan wrote: 1 month ago

Ironically three of the current teams, McLaren, Aston Martin and Williams, still, despite their ovrseas ownership, identify as British teams in as much as they enter under a British licence. I guess that for those three teams the British National Anthem would play for the constructor in that part of the podium procedure (after the drivers National Anthem they play the Constructors National Anthem).

Mind you the last time the British Anthem was played for a Constructor was when it was still God save the Queen, back at Monza in 2021 for McLaren. Since then it has been only the Austrian Italian and German Anthems played for the constructors (German 6 times, Italian 5 times and Austrian 44 times at a rough count.)
Yes, well, they should be playing the Thai national anthem instead.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

EXCLUSIVE: SUSIE WOLFF TO MAKE BID FOR FIA PRESIDENCY
PAUL VELASCO 1 APRIL
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/04/ ...

This could be an Apr joke. As long as Toto remains TP of Mercedes, there is a zero chance she would be nominated. Other than that, she could be a good head (after dismissing about 30% of remnants of the old MM and BE guard).
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Alpine F1 Team is set to be sold to South Korean auto giant Hyundai who will enter Formula 1 in 2026 with former Renault team principal, Cyril Abiteboul reportedly leading the project with Max Verstappen in his sites.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/04/01 ... wants-max/

Suprise after surprise...how did Paul Velasco laid hands on this one is hard to guess.