F1 2024 STUFF NOT WORTHY OF ITS OWN THREAD

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

F1 2024 STUFF NOT WORTHY OF ITS OWN THREAD

Post by Aty »

READING INTO THE 2024 FORMULA 1 CALENDAR

Looking at the 2024 calendar, we find that there will be five double-headers: Bahrain – Jeddah, Emilia Romagna-Monaco, Hungary-Belgium, Netherlands-Italy, and finally Baku Singapore.

There are also three triple-headers: Spain – Austria – United Kingdom, Austin, Mexico, Sao Paulo, and the most gruesome, Las Vegas – Qatar – Abu Dhabi.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/01/24 ... -calendar/

Intuitively we knew already last year it's going to be tiring, however coming back and reviewing calendar once again, it doesn't look too good for crews (and maybe whole teams). It makes me think that teams will need to squeeze into budget two crews on rotation. Not exactly money saving formula. I am wondering who does the thinking at Liberty, and FiA (or should I say who cares at Liberty and FiA?).

Last year I've planned to cut down on my viewing pleasure by four races. Final decision is to cut down on six. Three races are already selected, and I have another three to go.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

I'll be cutting down to zero... :cool:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 months ago I'll be cutting down to zero... :cool:
I am looking forward to read about your (non)viewing life. :smiley:

On my part, I cannot erase and forget all after half century of my life with the sport. This year however I want to change a thing or two, and be more selective how I spend my time. I hope it will work.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Well, it'll be full, as usual, and fascinating. I'll have more time to investigate the past of this once great sport.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

GMM is reporting on development of Hungarian racing centrum.
The redevelopment of the circuit is in full swing, the Hungaroring confirmed. The entire project is scheduled for completion in 2026.

https://www.grandprix.com/news/f1-upgra ... swing.html

So, Hungary is committed. Makes me wonder how are they going to accommodate races in the meanwhile next to heavy construction. Moreover, who is paying for it? EU handed over to national government load of money recently (€10,2 B), but I don't think people had the F1 as destination for that cash on their minds. Regarding F1, obviously there are far more optimistic people around racing about its continuing popularity, than I am. Moreover, I am seriously in doubt, that F1 ownership year by year will drop demands for payments from event promoters. Fans (consumers in general and external to F1) will need to pay. Directly, or through governmental subsidies (and consequently on taxes). I thought that tickets are anything but cheap already, and it's not going to get better.
Spanish media sources report that Madrid is paying EUR 60 million (USD 89 MM) per year for its new F1 races
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

FiA is looking on some problems at Australian race...
The organisers were found to be in breach of Article 12.2.1.h of the FIA's International Sporting Code by the race stewards after being formally summoned, with the investigation ongoing after referral to the World Motor Sport Council.
https://racingnews365.com/fia-investiga ... rix-change

Nothing special. This happen elsewhere too. I am not sure if race organization can foolproof track (and save on penalty) from someone who has either death wish, or is mentally challenged. Many tracks are open to penetration, if you want to do it.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Greta (Thunberg) has got into John Elkann's ear

Yes I know its nothing to do with F1, other than the Ferrari name.... but its in a thread for random things, and its off season, so perfect place. Here we go

One for the "we cant do one thing right (other than win Le Mans by good fortune) so lets get into multitasking.

I'll huff and i'll puff, and i'll save the planet....... Elkann thinks it will "expand their racing soul"

Italian ocean racing yachtsman Soldini joins Ferrari as team principal of the new venture
Ferrari to enter sailing competitions

Formula 1 car maker Ferrari is teaming up with Italian ocean racing yachtsman Giovanni Soldini to build boats and enter world sailing competitions.

Ferrari has competed in F1 since 1950 and returned to endurance racing last year, claiming a shock victory at the Le Mans 24 Hours race.

Chairman John Elkann said the project will expand its "racing soul".

Soldini has over 30 years' experience in solo and crewed ocean races, including two round-the-world races.

He will join Ferrari's project as team principal.

Earlier this week, the 57-year-old and Italian car maker Maserati announced the end of their 11-year-long partnership in ocean navigation.

"I am thrilled to start this new adventure with Ferrari. We are working on an important and cutting-edge project with an amazing technological potential," Soldini said.

Ferrari said it would rely on "cutting-edge technologies throughout the entire cycle, from conception and engineering to realisation" of the boat.

The company added: "In addition to competing on tracks all over the world, Ferrari is now embarking on this new venture to enhance its technological know-how."

The Italian team won its last Formula 1 drivers' championship in 2007 and constructors' title in 2008.

"With this new competitive challenge, motivated by our innovative capacity and commitment to sustainability, we will push beyond current boundaries," said Elkann.
.https://www.bbc.com/sport/sailing/68083310

I do remember seeing of their other venture into boats..... that was more an engine deal back in 1953. Much more interesting. Proper, noisy and petrol driven. And gorgeous both to look at and to listen to. Bear in mind this was in the early fifties! Powered by a V12 out of their F1 programme. Because they could they bolted a Supercharger on to it

Recently was up for sale. More info of this boat and you get the sound of it here.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Aty wrote: 3 months ago FiA is looking on some problems at Australian race...
The organisers were found to be in breach of Article 12.2.1.h of the FIA's International Sporting Code by the race stewards after being formally summoned, with the investigation ongoing after referral to the World Motor Sport Council.
https://racingnews365.com/fia-investiga ... rix-change

Nothing special. This happen elsewhere too. I am not sure if race organization can foolproof track (and save on penalty) from someone who has either death wish, or is mentally challenged. Many tracks are open to penetration, if you want to do it.
Decision:
The Australian Grand Prix corporation announced that fans will not be allowed to invade the track after races from 2024, following security breaches in the 2023 event.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/01/26 ... ck-access/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Thats been common knowledge for a long time now, here in Aus anyway. It was one of the very first proposals following 'the incident'. Many websites are rehashing old stuff as they are running out of recent things to write about, as they wait for current news when we start to see the launches.
Journos and websites gotta keep those clicks a clickin' to pay their bills! :haha:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

I am not sure how the organizers want to prevent track entry. I recall the incident in Singapore. In mid race Seb was calling in, we have a guy on the track taking a stroll... Obviously if someone wants to do it, they find the way.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The issue with Australia was quite black and white, partially the fault of the Stewards for the way they handled the multiple red flags at the end in their determination to had a ;green flag' finish witjhout the cars following the SC round to the finish line as would be normal and indeed has happened in Australia before. With all the processes taking too long and darkness closing in there was some confusion.

Normally at the end of the GP the fans are allowed on track to make their way to the podium. The gates are not meant to be opened until the last car has passed on its inlap back to pit lane. Cant remember now whether it was the crowd broke ranks, or the gates were opened early before the crowds got onto the track Anyway, the Stewards had not issued the clearance for the marshalls to open gates and crowds came onto the track to hurry towards the podium whilst the final tailenders were still on their inlap.. The Marshall's are assembled by the local AGP Corporation (and I presume with guidelines from Motorsport Aus..

Or something like that. The blame was laid with the local people and thus the AGP board was "under investigation". They had to submit an answer to the "Please explain" request from the FIA. along with methods to ensure it would not re-occur..

In reality it was bored and frustrated fans, some needing to get prebooked flights back home or commence their long road journeys interstate to get to work on Monday, all frustrated by the time taken to decide how to finish the race. After 40 minutes or so and the last lap was held, those frustrated fans decided it was time to run for the podium presentation. Gates open or not.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Aty wrote: 3 months ago
READING INTO THE 2024 FORMULA 1 CALENDAR
Bernie will count that as a London GP win.

*wanders off*
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Mr. BE has some other problems these days. No time for F1.

I am in awe over his energy, considering his age. He has managed to make me angry on more than one occassion over years, but there were also some moments when we were on the same page. So, it's not all bad.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Marlon Brando at his best. He surprised me. :thumbsup:

One of the greatest responses to an inept question. Actually I think exactly the same way about racing, drivers and that never ending sick tendency in F1 to promote some, and degrade others.