2024 Formula 1 car pre-season tests

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Bottom post of the previous page:

The Merc looked crap in testing in 2021, and in 2023, and it won the opener in 2021 and wasn't exactly a disaster in 2023.

They'll work the car out. We all know Merc build good cars, and they're competitive in the right operating window, and average outside of it. They just don't know where that window is yet.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 months ago
And we have winner..... Albon has stopped off the side of the track in S1 with a broken Willy.
Ouch! That must hurt!!! :down:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Ruslan wrote: 2 months ago Tentative conclusions:

1. Max will be first this year.
2. Haas will be last this year.
3. Hamilton to wise to bail on Mercedes.
I was having similar thoughts.
The Mercedes looks very unbalanced, very bouncy, locking brakes, and is throwing up plenty of sparks.. it is still struggling to get into the top 10.... or within close to 2.5 of Max.

On the other hand the Red Bull looks very planted, totally stable barely a spark flying
Yea, how hard is it to copy last year's Red Bull and develop it from there?
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

OOOOH my,..... Max has obviously not liked Lando taking over at the top of the times and has just gone round in a mighty 1:31.662, over 0.8 faster than Lando.

To put that in perspective that is faster than anyone managed in P3 last year at the GP here. In fact if he finds another tenth he will do a time that would have got him through to Q2 in qualy. Quite impressive given he is still running mediums. :shocked:
No one is allowed to go faster than Max, it's the law! Well, according to Max it is anyway ;)
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Max can sleep well after satisfactory start. Mr. Newey has provided him with a beauty. (Or was it Waché?)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Day 1 of this years testing is over....... some will be happier than others.

Red Bull continued their morning dominance and let the afternoon for all but a short period when Lando sat on top of the pile. Max as already said posted an I thought remarkable 1:31.662 to be 8 tenths clear. As the lights came on and the track optimised Max went out again. Not on softs but still on the C3 medium compound. He went another three tenths faster! That put him over a second clear of Lando , 2nd fastest. Thats how it finished.

Actually I have just realised that due to the complex array of 5 different compounds from C1 at the hard end to C5 as the softest, and with C3 being the tyre Max and others mainly used today would be mediums.... certainly today they had yellow markers to designate medium. Next week at the GP though the combined wizardry of the FIA and Pirelli have sominated the C3 compound as the soft tyre. So the yellow stickers on the C3 will become red stickers next weekend.

So the reality is the medium C3 tyres of today will become the C3 Soft tyres next week. Confused? You are not alone!

More worrying than tyre labels though must be the fact the Red Bull did not miss a beat as Max amassed a healthy gross of laps. OK one lap short of a gross at 143, but still a worrying sign for others. Thats 2.5 full races... without so much as a cough or splutter. At the other end of the reliability scale were Williams. Albon stopped on track when his fuel pump failed. The team spent nearly three hours replacing the faulty pump.... the failed part it seems is one of the most inaccessible parts of the car. Logan Sargeant went out but fared even worse. Less than a dozen laps later it was his turn to suffer a broken Willy. His problem turned out to be a broken driveshaft and the boys and girls from Grove set about fixing Logan's broken Willy. After lengthy repairs that took until darkness fell, Logan reappeared on track to finally amass a paltry 21 laps. With Albons 40 laps that led to a team tally of just 61. First day last year they managed an impressive 149 laps.

But not all is lost for Williams. Logan, in just 21 laps managed to go faster than George Russell managed all day and in 122 laps. No wonder Lewis bailed out of Merc. They looked a bit lost today, the car not really behaving. Lewis was there but, with his day in the car set for tomorrow, he was seen slinking out the back door and vanishing. He had had enough for the day. Perhaps miffed that George got to have the first play with the toys this year. :idunno:

The reality is that through my eyes Red Bull looked extraordinary. They struggled for the first hour or so of the day, and I must admit early in the day I was starting to think that the smaller sidepod concept they are working with was going to bite them in the bum like we saw Mercedes struggle with. Max came in and got out of the car. The spanner twirlers twirled away. An hour later the boffins had ordered the spanner twirlers to change this and that, Max strapped himself in and voila the missing 2.5 seconds tht they trailed by in the first runs was suddenly advantage Red Bull. Red Bull seemed to fix in a morning what Mercedes failed to fix in 18 months..

McLaren looked good. They will be very happy when you think back to day 1 last year. McLaren had by then realised they had taken a wrong turn and were in the depths of despair. It took them 6 months to fix, but since mid season last year they have improved so much. They will be happy little campers tonight.

Ferrari wont be too upset. Well, they wont be happy of course. The Red Bulls ended the day well over a second quicker. But they were. within a tenth of McLaren so it could have been worse.

Next up was the mobile ATM Cashcard Toro Rosso Alpha Tauri thingy. That got quicker through the day and they will be happy, finishing just a few hunfredths shy of Ferrari. Again a big turnaround from their shocking early 2023 form.

Acouple of tenths back we had Alpine. They looked better than the Aston that were a tenth or so behind Alpine. Stroll in particular, although faster than Fernando but he was locking brakes and facing the wrong way more than once. But he managed a couple of decent laps (The track was much quicker in the afternoon as the sand was replaced by rubber)

Williams we have covered, As their TP Vowles said, it is better to get the poor reliability out of the way when there are no points at stake. Better luck to them tomorrow.

Mercedes finished out of the top ten as hinted and there will be much scratching of heads and looking at data. I daresay the simulator back at Brackley will be doing laps all night, with them trying alternative set ups and settings. in a quest for answers and solutions. The car might have looked awful, but one thing they can be happy with is they managed to get plenty of awful laps into the day. It was reliable if not pretty.

The Sauber again seemed to improve with the track, and they finished top 10 with Joe even if Bottas struggled in the morning. One thing I will say is that the lime green monster look better on TV than in pictures. It was something different and almost a refreshing change. The nam might be awful but the colours showed the brand name off better than any other car on the grid. They did give me something to smile about as cars becan to do the flow viz paint thing, and everyone was lapping with lots of fluro green to show. I wondoered how the Sauber team would go with Flow viz as we know is the same as the colour of their car. The answer was brutally simple. I had never seen red flow-viz paint before :haha: :haha:

Oh, I forgot to mention Haas. Well they arrived with a new leader who has never led. They said they were going to struggle in the early part of the season. They got that right. They were the only team that went slower in the afternoon than in the morning. And I am not sure the blame lies with the afternoon driver, Nico Hulkenerg. Tough times at Haas. Im sure Guenther might actually be a little relieved to be gotten rid of.

OK Enough already Thats day one out of the way. QUite an interesting day in some ways. Will Red Bull continue to dominate? Hopefully they wont increase the gap tomorrow and some of those behind will play catch up. :fingers: :fingers: :fingers:

Otherwise the season will quickly become very boring.

One thing we do know is that the cars will be, or in fact are already a chunk faster than last year. Max was significantly quicker than his leading time from the opening day last season. It's also not far off the times we saw in the race weekend itself last year. It is certainly over 2 seconds faster than last years race fastest lap. And its only day 1. They will be quicker tomorrow. How much quicker we will have to wait until Friday.

Pos Driver Team Time Gap Laps Tyres
1 Max Verstappen Red Bull 1:31.344s 142 C3
2 Lando Norris Mclaren 1:32.484s +1.140s 72 C3
3 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 1:32.584s +1.240s 69 C3
4 Daniel Ricciardo RB 1:32.599s +1.255s 51 C3
5 Pierre Gasly Alpine 1:32.805s +1.461s 60 C3
6 Lance Stroll Aston Martin 1:33.007s +1.663s 53 C3
7 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 1:33.247s +1.903s 64 C3
8 Fernando Alonso Aston Martin 1:33.385s +2.041s 77 C3
9 Oscar Piastri Mclaren 1:33.658s +2.314s 57 C3
10 Zhou Guanyu Sauber 1:33.871s +2.527s 62 C3
11 Logan Sargeant Williams 1:33.882s +2.538s 21 C3
12 George Russell Mercedes 1:34.109s +2.765s 121 C2
13 Yuki Tsunoda RB 1:34.136s +2.792s 64 C3
14 Valtteri Bottas Sauber 1:34.431s +3.087s 68 C3
15 Alexander Albon Williams 1:34.587s +3.243s 40 C3
16 Esteban Ocon Alpine 1:34.677s +3.333s 60 C2
17 Kevin Magnussen Haas 1:35.692s +4.348s 66 C3
18 Nico Hulkenberg Haas 1:35.906s +4.562s 82 C3

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Well, nobody will accuse Red Bull of sand-bagging this year :haha:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Vassago wrote: 2 months ago Well, nobody will accuse Red Bull of sand-bagging this year :haha:
Maybe they are ;)
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 months ago
Michkov wrote: 2 months ago Let's make this interesting, what will be the first car to break down?
It's got to be a broken Willy.
And we have winner..... Albon has stopped off the side of the track in S1 with a broken Willy, 20 minutes before lunch.

He has pulled well off the track and testing continues under a. local yellow. No nasty sounds or smoke emanating from his Willy so dont know what is wrong. They were getting ready for Alex to pit next time round so it could be something as simple as run out of fuel.

But the bottom line is he was the first person and car of the season to stop on track and be pushed out of the way, far enough for green flags to we waved and running continue for the other nine cars.
Is there a 2024 Guess The First Broken Car Non-Championship Champion signature line in that? :P
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Oh, I forgot to mention Haas. Well they arrived with a new leader who has never led. They said they were going to struggle in the early part of the season. They got that right. They were the only team that went slower in the afternoon than in the morning. And I am not sure the blame lies with the afternoon driver, Nico Hulkenerg. Tough times at Haas. Im sure Guenther might actually be a little relieved to be gotten rid of.
I did forget to mention one good thing for Haas..... they might have been the two slowest cars on track in day one, but even with that disadvantage they did manage to complete more laps than any other team.
66 laps in the morning for KMag plus a further 88 in the afternoon for the Hulk gave them a combined total of 148 laps for the day, so credit where credit is due.

Max ran them close with 142laps racked up.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Sauber boys made a race distance, and both are talking about car potential. It's good stuff. I didn't think that anyone would be sand-bagging since testing time is very short, but apparently we need to wait for the race trim to find the truth. Dr. Marko estimates RB advantage down to 0,3 [sec]. Well, we will see.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Want to understand a bit about the Red Bull sidepods that are supposedly using the same (failed) zero sidepod concept Mercedes tried.
Well we know it is not rally like the Mercedes idea, but it does have some interesting featuresnot immediately realised.

In this video Gary Anderson, designer of note has seen some of the 'secret' spy [hotos taken at Bahrain yesterday, and spills the beans on some of the secret bits.

Clever stuff and it all makes me think Red Bull are highly likely to start the season with an advantage that will take other a headache to play catch up withj.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Oh I forgot to mention we are now 30 minutes into day 2 of testing.

Will we see any broken Willies today? Hopefully they have a good day and can do some catch up and gather some data.
Sargeant is getting a full day today, as is Lewis. Wonder what Mercedes have managed to conjur up in their quest for a bit of pace.
Sergio also is I think gets just the morning with Max getting the best of the track conditions with the afternoon session.

Isee Stroll, who got the afternoon yesterday also gets the afternoon today. I guess the track advantage makes him look closer to Fernando.

Anyway here is a list of today's driver schedules:

Team Driver
Red Bull Sergio Perez AM / Max Verstappen PM

Mercedes Lewis Hamilton

Ferrari Charles Leclerc AM / Carlos Sainz PM

McLaren Oscar Piastri AM / Lando Norris PM

Aston Martin Fernando Alonso AM / Lance Stroll PM

Alpine Pierre Gasly AM / Esteban Ocon PM

Williams Logan Sargeant

RB Yuki Tsunoda AM / Daniel Ricciardo PM

Kick Sauber Zhou Guanyu AM / Valtteri Bottas PM

Haas Nico Hulkenberg AM / Kevin Magnussen PM

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Red Bull seem to be having issues already.....looks like a brake problem for Sergio, the car in the garage with brake discs and stuff being changed. Shouldnt take long....

Sargeant has already racked up 15 laps, and current lies 2nd behind Leclerc who has got himself into the 31's already., albeit a high one.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Sergio is back out.... the problem was brakes overheating

Fernando has done a number of laps, but. clearly out and back in laps as he is yet to record a time

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I havent been following the Session on TV toda as closely (the novelty wore off pretty quick) but just checked on progress in and we have a red flag aat the moment..... a bit of drain has become detached so it is all on hold while the track in inspected and repaired. Leclerc ran it over in the Ferrari and although the car was damaged it seems that the floor or at least a floor is now back on the Ferrari. I think Lewis ran over some debris as well.

Times are a little slower today.... Leclerc is fastest but some 0.4 off of Max's afternoon time yesterday and it seems the cars are all running different programmes and collecting data doing longer runs etc. Lap counts dont seem as high as yesterday.

Basically times seem to be unimportant I think a few cars have been trying alternative components and parts for comparison. A number of cars, including the Williams of Sargeant have spent quit a lot of time in the garage. Whether that is reliability reasons or simply teams experimenting and evaluating alternative set ups and making changes I dont know.

Having said that with just over an hour left of the morning session here are the best times on the board and laps completed.

POS DRIVERGAP TYRE LAPS
1 Charles LECLERC1:31.750 36
2 Oscar PIASTRI+0.578 35
3 Logan SARGEANT+0.828 30
4 Sergio PEREZ+1.129 20
5 Fernando ALONSO+1.303 31
6 Lewis HAMILTON+1.475 39
7 Guanyu ZHOU +1.965 38
8 Pierre GASLY+2.054 33
9 Nico HULKENBERG+5.759 31
10 Yuki TSUNODA+6.324 40

UPDATE>. The morning session has been abandoned as repairs on the track continue.

Teams will take an early lunch and an extended afternoon session will be held