2024 WRC and Off Road Discussion *includes 'Dakar' *

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

SAINZ LEADS THE STAGE

250 klms into the stage and Sainz leads Guillaume de Mevius (fighting with Loeb for the final podiu spot. by 2’04’’ and Romain Dumas by 2’21’’. Respectively fourth and fifth, Mathieu Serradori and Guerlain Chicherit are within just over 30’’ of each other. Stéphane Peterhansel, who was second after 139 km, is now around 19 minutes behind.

As for Loeb he is continuing at speed..... he has passed the 179 km poin wheret he was more than 1 hour and 15 minutes behind Carlos Sainz. However, more importantly Seb has gained a little time on Guillaume de Mevius, allowing him to slightly strengthen his third place on the provisional general rankings podium. He now has a lead over de Mevius of 1’13’’

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I suspect Sainz is now easing up a bit..... he has more to lose than gain by running at 100% effort.

He is still I understand, the virtual leader (due to the staggered start times Chicherit, the first driver on stage, still actually leads on the road but Sainz. who started 22nd and many minutes later is closer now to Chicherit than at the start. The gap Of course when they cross the finish line the time taken from start to finish is what sets the stage finish positions.
The reality is that Sainz is ahead in corrected time, though not first on the road yet.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

HOWEVER WE NOW HAVE ANOTHER TWIST.....

Maybe Loeb could still hang on to 2nd overall....... Lucas Morares, who was at the start of the stage 3rd behind Sainz and Loeb, but then inherited 2nd with Loeb's lengthy stop for repairs. has had his own problems.

Now it is Morares who has stopped on stage..... he ground to a halt after 360 km of the special and has been stopped for around 25 minutes. This setback could allow Sébastien Loeb to regain second place in the general rankings. It all depends if Morares can continue in time to stay ahead of Loeb.

No word as to Morares problem, but knowing the nature of the stage perhaps a suspension breaking or more punctures than he has spare tyres and the wait is for assistance.

It seems that Loebs stoppage came after brutal landing on rocks after a jump. The right hand front A arm broke. Loeb had asked for assistance from his backup, which would entail scratching from the stage. Although Loeb was initially expected to withdraw from the day and head back to the bivouac, the suspension damage on his car was repaired in time for him to take part in the remainder of the stage.

In the meantime Loeb managed to repair the broken part thanks to the stopping and help from the Prodrive customer YunXiang China T1+ team’s Hunter crew. Not sure what form that help took, whether they stripped the parts from the Chinese crew or whether they had the means to actually make it drivable. I daresay the favour might have cost Prodrive a lot of money or certainly works support for the customer team. Whatever the cost it has kept Loeb in the Dakar so is worth it.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Sébastien Loeb has stopped again, after 370 km, but only for a few minutes before resuming .

However it does appear at this stage as though Loeb has managed to not only retain third place but due to Morares technical issues may well have done enough to claw back to 2nd overall.

NOTE THIS /\/\/\ IS VERY PROVISIONAL

Guillaume de Mevius, seems to also have jumped Morares for third ..... Moraes I believe drops down into fourth position .

Carlos Sainz leads Loeb by more than 1 hour and 25 minutes.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

SAINZ LEADS OVERALL FROM DE MEVIUS AND LOEB>. MORARES DROPS TO 9TH

When all the times were finalised it turned out Loeb has dropped from 2nd overall to 3rd. We have Sainz now comfortably at the top of the table, now with a lead of near enough an hour and a half over 2nd.... however a new face on the podium now, is that of new 2nd place Guillaume de Mevius.

He jumps from 4th to 2nd thanks to the problems today for Loeb and also Morares, who eventually limped home in his Toyota having lost over two hours to the leaders, to drop from third to ninth in the overall standings.

Stage winner Chicherit is now up to fourth, 7m18s further back from Loeb..

Martin Prokop completed the current top five in the Orlen Ford, ahead of Toyota trio Guy David Botterill, Giniel de Villiers and Benediktas Vanagas.
As mentioned then it is Morares in 9th with Mathieu Serradori rounding out the top 10.

Here is the top 10 overall placings and gaps after Stage 11

Pretty much done and dusted now with just a short 175 klms comfortable low risk stage to end on tomorrow. Mind you after the events of the last couple of days, never say never.....

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

STAGE 11 BIKES

Brabec prevents Branch fightback Dakar Stage 11

Brabec doing it the right way in terms of not losing a win it was recently his to lose. He doesnt need to win by an hour, just a few minutes and as we know tomorrow is an easy short stage. He just needs to control the gap and not lose too much of his adavntage tnd put the pressure back on himself

Ross Branch won todays stage as he did yesterday but Ricky Brabec was within 10 seconds of the winners time. He did exactly what the doctor ordered and will still take a lead of more than 10 minutes into the final days 175 klm of Special Stage. Reality is Brabec is in the box seat to claim a second Dakar title, while Adrien Van Beveren is third ioverall at 14:31s off the pace on another of the Hondas.

Branch, needing a big result, set the pace for most of the way. Unfortunately for him, though, opener bonuses kept Brabec in touch and Brabec even nosed ahead in the ‘virtual' stage classification at one point.

Van Beveren was third 3:17s off the pace and Husqvarna's Luciano Benavides took fourth, one position ahead of Toby Price.
Jose Ignacio Cornejo Florimo was one of the day's bigger losers, shedding time due to a fuel pump failure for his Honda.

He is still fourth in the general classification but, having slipped from less than two minutes behind Van Beveren to 24 minutes away, his hopes of an event podium are now relying on an unlikely mishap to strike at least one of those ahead.

Kevin Benavides still holds fifth overall and team-mate Price sixth, while fellow Aussie Daniel Sanders remains eighth.

General classification: Bikes Top 10

Pos Num Nat Rider Team Time Gap
1 9 USA RICKY BRABEC MONSTER ENERGY HONDA TEAM 49H 37′ 57”
2 46 BOT ROSS BRANCH HERO MOTOSPORTS TEAM RALLY 49H 48′ 19” + 00H 10′ 22”
3 42 FRA ADRIEN VAN BEVEREN MONSTER ENERGY HONDA TEAM 49H 52′ 28” + 00H 14′ 31”
4 11 CHI JOSE IGNACIO CORNEJO FLORIMO MONSTER ENERGY HONDA TEAM 50H 16′ 41” + 00H 38′ 44”
5 47 ARG KEVIN BENAVIDES RED BULL KTM FACTORY RACING 50H 19′ 16” + 00H 41′ 19”
6 2 AUS TOBY PRICE RED BULL KTM FACTORY RACING 50H 25′ 56” + 00H 47′ 59”
7 1 ARG LUCIANO BENAVIDES HUSQVARNA FACTORY RACING 50H 33′ 45” + 00H 55′ 48”
8 5 AUS DANIEL SANDERS RED BULL GASGAS FACTORY RACING 50H 50′ 22” + 01H 12′ 25”
9 142 SVK STEFAN SVITKO SLOVNAFT RALLY TEAM 51H 32′ 15” + 01H 54′ 18”
10 23 CZE MARTIN MICHEK ORION – MOTO RACING GROUP 52H 21′ 37” + 02H 43′ 40”

No highlights yet so here are todays "Top Moments"

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

EXTENDED HIGHLIGHTS STAGE 11 ..... ALL CATEGORIES

Some excellent stuff in this particularly of some of the hardship stories with a couple of the bikers stuck out overnight. It really highlights some of the aspects of the Dakar we neer really see.

It also shows some of the issues Seb had, broken wheel gun and the damage being repaired to his suspension.

Click the watch on youtube button to access.

puck7

Post by puck7 »

Wow, Cristina Gutierrez wins T3 :amazed:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Sainz wins fourth Dakar Rally crown

After two weeks now, the 46th running of the Dakar, t(and surprisingly now the 5th in Saudi Arabia), has finished after more than 4,700 kilometres of specials and a total distance of almost 8,000 kilometres

Carlos Sainz has won his fourth Dakar Rally title and Audi’s first.

Sebastien Loeb, Sainz's nearest rival until he broke a suspension arm on the penultimate stage, won the final special of Dakar 2024 in his Prodrive Hunter.

However, it was not enough for Seb to recover second overall, which remained with Toyota Hilux pilot Guillaume De Mevius.

Loeb trailed Mattias Ekstrom, one of Sainz's team-mates, by just two seconds at the first waypoint and set the pace thereafter. De Mevius was the next-quickest on the day at 5:09s off the pace, barely more than half the 9:56s buffer going into th final day. Vaidotas Zala (X-Raid Arijus) rounded out the top three for the special at just 12 seconds slower again.

Sainz, with nothing to prove and everything to lose was only 17th-quickest on the final stage.... but ceded just 10:50s relative to Loeb and hence his official margin of victory in the rally as a whole is 1:20:25s.

Guerlain Chicherit, in another Hilux, and winner of the previous two stages was fourth in the special as was his his finish in the general classification.

Ekstrom dropped to 12th-fastest by the end of the special although was deliberately driving in proximity to Sainz in case of any mishaps, given his hopes of an overall podium were already dashed.

It was another rotten day, though, for another multi-time Dakar champ in an Audi RS Q e-tron, with Stephane Peterhansel striking engine problems.

So Sainz, who this year started his 17th Dakar won his fourth title, and did it without winning a single stage, but put in a consistent performance throughout with minimal bad days. It didnt all start well for him though given setbacks right at the start in the Prologue had him down just in the top 50. El Matador quickly recovered from that blow to put himself immediately back in the fight and took the lead of the overall rally on Stage 2.. Saudi local Yazeed Al-Rajhi led Carlos for much of the first week before he crashed out of contention on day 6.

Since then Carlos pretty much kept his lead at around 20 minutes, a gap which reduced in the final days as Loeb started his charge, but in the end Carlos hung in their without significant mistakes or drama until a puncture fest affected both the laders, but moreso Sainz and the gap was down to 7 minutes going into the penultimate and last meaningful stage. Still very much advantage Sainz, with Loeb needing to really attack on a known to be tough stage. However with Loeb charging at 101% he suffered suspension damage which ended his charge for the win, and with Sainz's nearest competitor then an hour and a half behind, Carlos just cruised to the finish on the final to wrap things up..

So Carlos, with 4 wins in the car division becomes the third most successful driver in the car division history, sharing that position with Ari Vartanen, with only Nasser Al-Attiyah (5 titles) and Mr Dakar himself, Stéphane Peterhansel at the top with 8 car titles. Of course Stéphane also has half a dozen titles on bikes, hence his unchallenged Mr Dakar title.

Significantly, Carlos has accomplished the feat of winning Dakar with four different manufacturers, with his previous successes all coming with different brands (Volkswagen, Peugeot and Mini).

Carlos is also the oldest winner of the car division at 61 years of age What a legend.

Hopefully he can find himself a worthy car to compete in for next year given Audi will almost certainly drop their Dakar Programme with immediate effect. Their committment to F1 comes first it seems. :sorrow: Not sure how competitive Toyota will be next year. and following AL Attiyah's departure from them last year they have had no star name this year .... a tie up with Toyota would give Sainz the opportunity of a 5th win with different manufacturers.

I must admit I smiled at Al Attiyahs self destrust and dummy spit. Particularly after his pre event prediction that the Audi Challenge would be over by day 3 and they would all have flown home with their tales between their legs.

Instead we saw the three Audi's all running in the top 10 for most of the event, and indeed them being in a position where through an exemplary display of team work, both Ekstrom and Stephane Peterhansel were both there to assist El Matador’s bid for victory throughout the second week, making sure he had cover, spares and assistance close at hand when required.

In contrast Al-Attiyah suffered misfortune, both mistakes and mechanical frustrations which included an engine change. In the end it was he who was ranting that the Prof=drive effort was not good enough and that he as a 5 time winner deserved better blah blah blah, then suffered more technical faults and it was he whoi jumped on a plane and went home after his hissy fit, leaing the team to suffer and give Loeb no back up beyond a privateer Chinese entry that came to Loebs assistance on the penultimate day..

I will summarise the other categories later.

EXTENDED HIGHLIGHTS FOR THE FINAL DAY> ALL CATEGORIES
Plus additional 'memories'
Usual click watch on youtube to play

Overall result giving all the finishers in order

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Whooops. I wrote up a summary of the other categories and final results of each. Forgotto to or didnt click submit properly, went to make snack, came back and the battery on my laptop had gone flat so lost the lot. :nuts: :sorrow: :banghead:

I'll rewrite it today but sorry for the delay. :rolleyes:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

TAKE 2.

BIKES
American Ricky Brabec won a second title following his triumph in 2020, by resisting Ross Branch on his Hero, the first Indian bike to grace the Dakar podium, onto which Adrien Van Beveren climbed for the first time in his career, with third place, also riding a Honda. Ross Branch pushed him all the way. He was a candidate for overall victory right up to the finish, even though he had been deprived of his team-mates. Branch led during the first week before being overtaken by Brabec who was coming into top form. Nevertheless, the native of Botswana has offered the African continent a podium finish for the first time since Alfie Cox took third place in 2005.

The Benavides brothers, Toby Price and Daniel Sanders were never able to contest the domination exerted by the Honda riders. So a disappointing Dakar for KTM and it is the first time since 1993 that no European constructors are on the final podium.

CHALLENGER

The disqualification of Eryk Goczał and his uncle Michał, as well as the withdrawal of his father Marek, completely changed the fight for the title in the Challenger class. On the evening of the rest day, Mitch Guthrie found himself in the lead in the general rankings, twenty minutes ahead of Cristina Gutiérrez, his nearest pursuer. With a win on stage 7 and a podium finish the following day,

Guthrie was managing to maintain a sufficient gap to control the race up to the end of the eventyand the victory which seemed within his grasp. . However, its never over until tits over and the finish line has been crossed.....it proved to be true once again. Guthrie only had 174 kilometres left to cover, but sadly for him he had a mechanical problem just seven kilometres into the special. Helped by his co-pilot Kellon Walch, he managed to resume, but his lead soon dropped to a little more than 1’30’’. It was to get worse on a special that soon turned in Gutiérrez’s favour. Guthrie was on track looking good but the transmission of his Taurus decided otherwise. He eventually reached the finish more than half an hour after Gutiérrez,and thus had to make do with the second place on the final podium, with Rokas Baciuška third. Rokas, just one year ago, lost the Dakar in similar circumstances in the SSV category.

Gutiérrez has become the second woman to win a title on the Dakar following Jutta Kleinschmidt, who was the quickest of the elite cars in 2001.

SSV
The SSV's finish was also down to the wire.... Xavier De Soultrait and his co-pilot Martin Bonnet scraped home and now can stop holding their breath. Nonetheless, it was a close thing After respectively winning stages 10 and 11, Sara Price and Jérôme de Sadeleer were both among the contenders.

Following a penalty on stage 10, ‘XDS’ only had a lead of a little more than ten minutes over Price, who put herself out of the race for the title the following day by losing more than one hour due to a navigation mistake. As for de Sadeleer, he almost succeededby coming to within three minutes of the leader with 174 kilometres left before the finish. However, de Soultrait used all his experience and held on. He did not let Sadeleer out of his sight and in the end only lost around twenty seconds overall. As a result, he has won his first tile on the Dakar. It was a good Dakar for Polaris, when Florent Vayssade, de Soultrait's team-mate, won the final special stage. It brought an end to an almost unchallenged reign by Can-Am.

TRUCKS
Magic Macík! The Czech flag fluttering in the breeze is a classic image from the 1990s, an era synonymous with the Tatra driven by Karel Loprais, who picked up his last triumph in 2001. It was Martin Macík who put his country back at the top of the truck category,

At first nobody had seemed able to beat Janus van Kasteren in the fight, not even Aleš Loprais, his main rival last year before a premature exit. Loprais tried valiantly at the beginning of the race, but van Kasteren was always a step ahead. As for Macík, he took time to get going. He was three quarters of an hour off the pace by the end of stage 4, . During the marathon stage 6 Macík seemed to be the toughest out of all the trucks, Loprais lost more than 1 hour in the dunes .. It was almost three times as bad for van Kasteren, crushing the Dutchman’s hopes of defending his title. This vaulted the patient Macík to the top of the general rankings in his Iveco (nicknamed ‘Cenda’),

Macík featured in the top three for each of the stages after day five . Ending with four stage wins this year he finished with a lead of almost 2 hours,

Some stats re finishers:In total,
239 vehicles (versus 340 that took starter’s orders) reached Yanbu, including 96 bikes (vs 132), 7 quads (vs 10), 55 Ultimate class cars (vs 70), 3 Stock class cars (vs 3), 29 Challenger class cars (vs 42), 28 SSVs (vs 36) and 21 trucks (vs 47).

Among them, the riders, drivers and crews of 182 vehicles were able to climb onto the final podium to receive a finisher’s medal, with the remainder not having completed the entirety of the route.

Oh and nearly forgot.

DAKAR CLASSIC
The 4th running of the Dakar Classic was won by aother Spaniard by the name of Carlos. Not Sainz, but Carlos Santaolalla Milla, one who has been chasing victory for the three Classics . Following 6th in 2022 and 2nd last year, this year, with his Toyota HDJ 80, Carlos dominated what that will go down as one of the most hotly contested Classics ever.

Challenged by Ondřej Klymčiw in the first week, itwas then Lorenzo Traglio who threatened..... within a point of Carlos with two days to go. Both the Czech's Škoda and the Italian's Nissan Pathfinder suffered minor mechanical problems. . Carlos Santaolalla Milla and Jan Rosa I Vinas therefore won in Yanbu.

I cant get results up for the CLASSIC Division :suspicious: :nuts:

Thats Dakar done and dusted for another year.. In other motorsport coming up in the not too distant future we have the Rolex 24hr and the Bathurt 12hr, both Sports car events, Daytona of course with the big Hypercar thingies.

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Had a great weekend in Hudiksvall, spectating the first round of the Swedish rally championship (not my videos):

-20c, not a cloud in the sky, gorgeous part of the country, 73 cars on the road 15 of which were WRC2 spec, then lots of homebuilt cars like this BMW 1M above. Volvo 940's from the early 90's were the most common cars, hehe.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Cheeveer wrote: 3 months ago

-20c, not a cloud in the sky, gorgeous part of the country, 73 cars on the road 15 of which were WRC2 spec, then lots of homebuilt cars like this BMW 1M above. Volvo 940's from the early 90's were the most common cars, hehe.
Sounds a bit nippy for me. I watched the video wearing shorts and t-shirt!. :haha:

73 entries beats the Monte Carlo WRC for this year.

Only 8 in WRC1: 70 in total including 35 amateurs :suspicious:

Hyundai: Ott Tänak, Andreas Mikkelsen, Thierry Neuville.
Ford: Sébastien Ogier, Adrien Fourmaux, Grégoire Munster.
Toyota: Elfyn Evans, Takamoto Katsuta.
In total, there are 8 cars in the top category representing the 3 Official Manufacturers, 24 in WRC2, 3 in WRC3 and 35 non-priority competitors (RGT & amateurs)
Full entry list from the ACM Website here. https://acm.mc/en/edition/92nd-rallye-a ... ntry-list/

General info https://acm.mc/en/category/edition-en/r ... -carlo-en/

:smiley:The Historic section is brilliant though. 237 entries in the Historic / Classic Monte Carlo rally. https://acm.mc/en/edition/26th-rallye-m ... ntry-list/

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Doesn't sound like there's any adverse conditions on the stages. :sorrow:

***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."