[IMSA] 2024 Daytona 24 Hour

WEC, Blancpain, Le Mans Series, Rolex and special events like the Le Mans 24h
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Yeah, Penske last won Daytona 24h in 1969 with Mark Donohue and Chuck Parsons. They won by a margin of 30 laps :tongue:

They needed some duct tape along the way...

07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Josef Newgarden, Dane Cameron, Matt Campbell, and Felipe Nasr (left to right) celebrate victory in the 24 Hours of Daytona with the Porsche Penske Motorsports team.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 months ago Confusion over the white flag, which has been waved and this is the last lap.

The chequered flag has flown on the #7 Porsche and there is still 2 minutes on the clock. :flag: :flag:

So #7 Penske Porsche wins the Rolex.... last time Penske won the Rolex / Daytona 24hrt was way back in 1969 with a Lola T70! :shocked:

Cadillac 2nd and the #40 Accura was 3rd. So Button on the outright podium.

Update from IMSA basically says basically they screwed up re the race finish.

The chequered flag WAS was 2 minutes early. However the flag was shown at the official finish time. It seems the race was two minutes late starting.
Basically the Daytona 24 hours was this year the Daytona 23hrs 58 minutes. :nuts:

IMSA Statement No apologies, just confirming that when the chequer flies its officially over : :flag: :banghead:
“Due to an officiating error in race control, IMSA inadvertently announced and subsequently displayed the white flag with under three minutes remaining in the race. At the end of the lap, the race-leading #7 GTP car then received the checkered flag with 1 minute, 35.277 seconds still remaining, ending the race short of the planned 24 hours by effectively one lap,” .

“Based on Article 49 of the 2024 IMSA Sporting Regulations and Standard Supplementary Regulations, should the checkered flag be inadvertently or otherwise displayed before the leading car completes the scheduled number of laps or before the prescribed time has been completed, the race is nevertheless deemed ended when the flag is displayed.”
Race winner Felix Nasr was confused. It seems Penske pitwall told him to keep racing after the flag just to be safe!
The checkered flag was shown amid a battle for the overall race lead between the #7 Porsche Penske Motorsport 963 and Whelen Cadillac Racing V-Series.R, with members of both teams revealing after the race that they were not sure whether or not the race had officially ended when the checkered flag was waved.

“You’ve got to keep on the throttle until it’s over, that’s what Tim Cindric said on the radio,” said Felipe Nasr, who was in the winning Porsche at the end. “I was confused, too.

“I don’t know if there were two white flags. I don’t know. I really don’t know. I was just focused on each corner, each braking and just clearing traffic and making sure there were no mistakes and get the car to the end.”

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

23min highlights.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion