Old Consoles

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Old Consoles

Post by DoubleFart »

There's something about old games and consoles that really make me happy. I love seeing an old console that I either owned (Playstation) or lusted over (N64).

Right now I have a Gameboy Colour in Kiwi Green, which I purchased earlier this year to celebrate 25 years since I was first bought that very same model Kiwi Green Gameboy Colour.

I'm toying with getting a PS2 with backwards compatibility so I can play FIFA Road to World Cup 98, ToCA 2, McRae 1, 2 and 3.... a bunch of games that really made my pre-teen years. Since most are Playstation rather than Playstation 2, I may yet get the OG Playstation.

What old consoles do you still use for a bit of retro gaming fun?
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Not the consoles themselves, but a couple of years ago I ... obtained ... N64 and NES games for the PC. Had a bit of fun for a while playing the games that my neighbour and I used to play together. Good times :).
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Same as Monte I DOWNLOAD THE GAMES FROM THE INTERNET AND PLAY IN AN EMULATOR :woo:

Actually I still own all my old consoles/games and they are mostly working just fine but they are back in the UK. Since they look a bit ugly on modern LCDs I go through the emulator route so I can utilise upscaling. Or if there was a PC version available I obtain a copy of that instead. Mostly PSX era racing games (the peak of gaming and of racing itself IMO!)
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

PTRACER wrote: 5 months ago Same as Monte I DOWNLOAD THE GAMES FROM THE INTERNET AND PLAY IN AN EMULATOR :woo:
I ... don't know what you're talking about...

:whistling:
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Emulator play does nothing for me. It's just not the same. I've tried to play my classic favourites that way but it doesn't provide me.owtj anywhere near that level of escapism.

When I'm sat down and have my Gameboy in my hands, and put some old tunes on, I'm transported back.

There's something about playing games on the original console, or a really ugly tower PC, that is unmatched for me.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

I prefer the originals as well, but the emulator is very helpful for NTSC games as all Australian consoles are in PAL.
GrandPrixYannick
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: BRM P261
Favourite Driver: Jackie Stewart, Max Verstappen
Favourite Circuit: Spa (the old one)
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Megane Coupe

Post by GrandPrixYannick »

I have a few old consoles standing at home.

I have a PS1 standing with a variation of games, mostly various sports games (football, snowboarding, athletics, etc.). Don't use it too much.
There's also a Nintendo Wii which I occasionally use.

I also have a modded Xbox 360 RGH which I am using more frequently these days. This because I am a big Guitar Hero geek, which with a big community of itself. Thanks to the modded console I can put all DLC and exports on it, which I use to generally collect as many stars as I can. I recently got me TDU2 so I'm doing a playthrough of that now (also because I hurt my thumb I cannot play any instruments).

There's also a Nintendo Switch but that doesn't count as old :)