[IMSA] 2023 Petit Le Mans

WEC, Blancpain, Le Mans Series, Rolex and special events like the Le Mans 24h
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

[IMSA] 2023 Petit Le Mans

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

With Petit Le Mans this weekend, here is a Spotters Guide to aid ID of the cars for those following the event. It is a specific event one with I guess additional cars and indeed one off liveries for this, one of the cream events of the IMSA year.

2023 PETIT LE MANS SPOTTERS GUIDE

Also a schedule of times for what and when
SCHEDULE

LIVE TIMING

And lets remind ourselves, its at that wonderful bit of tarmac called Road Atlanda. Great track.

Useful links:

2023 PETIT LE MANS... FULL ENTRY LIST

https://www.roadatlanta.com/motul-petit-le-mans

https://www.imsa.com/

JoNew in a Porsche 963. As is Jenson Button.

Scotty Mac in a Tower Motorsports LMP2

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Teams from the IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship practice for the 2023 Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta

PRACTICE 1 RESULTS

PRACTICE 2. RESULTS

It seems Yellow American cars are having a good day, certainly P2...... Cadillac fastest overall and Corvette fastest in GTD Pro

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Road Atlanta Pre-Race Notebook

John Dagys’ pre-race notebook for 26th annual Motul Petit Le Mans…
October 14, 2023

***In addition to the No. 59 Proton Competition Porsche 963, the No. 63 Iron Lynx Lamborghini Huracan GT3 EVO2 also lost all qualifying times. Mirko Bortolotti got out of the GTD Pro class contender prior to the conclusion of the session, which was in violation of the regulations.

***The No. 63 Lamborghini will start from the penultimate spot on the 52-car field, while the Proton Porsche is set to roll off from 10th overall, by virtue of the GTP class cars being re-ordered to the front of the grid. Click Here for the provisional grid.

***The AO Racing Porsche 911 GT3 R will start from the back of the grid after the team elected to change it starting driver. Seb Priaulx set the eighth-fastest lap in GTD qualifying.

***Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta reminds Petit Le Mans debutant Jenson Button of the Japanese circuit Sugo, where he raced twice in Super GT. “It’s an awesome track,” said the 2009 Formula 1 world champion. “We had 45 cars racing and 30 in a slower category. Traffic all the time. That was good practice for here.”

***Porsche LMDh factory director Urs Kuratle has downplayed any significant changes to Porsche Penske Motorsport’s driver lineup for next year, despite rumors pointing to at least one potential change within its FIA World Endurance Championship squad.

***Kuratle told Sportscar365: “We’re really happy with all of the drivers we have. That’s something we discuss after the season, actually, which is soon to be over anyways. There will not be major changes in the driver lineup.”

***Wright Motorsports team principal John Wright confirmed to Sportscar365 that it has one full season entry currently on the reserve list, alongside its already confirmed No. 120 car that will compete in GTD. He denied that the No. 120 Porsche 911 GT3 R has been earmarked for Elliott Skeer and Adam Adelson, who drove for the team with the same car number in Fanatec GT this year.

***The Claudio Schiavoni-driven No. 60 Iron Lynx Lamborghini Huracan GT3 EVO2 is set to do the Rolex 24 at Daytona and Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring next year according to team principal Andrea Piccini. It is the only GTD car that IMSA has listed to do selected Michelin Endurance Cup rounds.

***The No. 19 GTD Pro class Iron Lynx Lamborghini was also listed for selected enduros, although it’s understood the intention is for it to complete all five races. This is despite Iron Lynx also running a factory-driven Lamborghini SC63 in GTP at some of the long-distance events.

***LMDh and LMH manufacturers took part in a meeting with the FIA and ACO in Paris two weeks ago, with convergence and the state of the WEC’s Balance of Performance among the topics understood to have been discussed.

***Porsche LMDh factory director Urs Kuratle told Sportscar365: “I think it was a good meeting. There was a lot of discussions and a lot of open discussions as well. The benefit now is that we all have almost one season behind us so there’s a lot of things to look at and a lot of chances to make good lessons learned out of it. I see chances that things will be different for next year but for the good. I’m sure there will be improvements because everybody has the same goal.”

***ACO President Pierre Fillon is among those in attendance from the French organization this weekend.

***Newly crowned Michelin Pilot Challenge TCR class champion Robert Wickens has set his sights on an eventual move into the WeatherTech Championship, although the Canadian is set to return to defend his Pilot Challenge title with Bryan Herta Autosport next year. “I would love the opportunity to try and get into the WeatherTech series in some way shape or form,” Wickens told reporters following Friday’s Fox Factory 120. “[But] I would be more than happy to return back with Bryan and Hyundai and try to fight to protect our championship.”

***Scott Pruett will serve as the grand marshal for today’s race. Pruett, who retired from driving in 2018 following a 50-year career, will be inducted into the inaugural class of the IMSA Hall of Fame at the annual WeatherTech Night of Champions celebration on Sunday.

***While the IMSA GTP title is wide-open heading into Saturday’s race, championships will be crowned in multiple other categories. There are three crews in contention for the LMP2 title. Steven Thomas and Mikkel Jensen lead Ben Keating and Paul-Loup Chatin by 17 points, although George Kurtz and Ben Hanley are also in mathematical contention despite being 104 points off the lead.

***Gar Robinson will become a two-time LMP3 champion if his Riley Ligier JS P320 Nissan takes the start of the race. Doing so would keep Robinson more than 100 points clear of second-placed Anthony Mantella and Wayne Boyd, even if they take a perfect score.

***It’s a similar story in GTD Pro, where Vasser Sullivan Lexus drivers Jack Hawksworth and Ben Barnicoat can clinch the title just by starting. Bryan Sellers and Madison Snow secured the GTD crown last time out at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

***Pipo Derani, Alexander Sims and Jack Aitken lead the Michelin Endurance Cup GTP standings by seven points over nearest rivals Taylor, Albuquerque and Deletraz. Nine points would put the leading Action Express Racing trio out of reach, and this could be achieved before the checkered flag.

***Endurance Cup points – on a 5, 4, 3, 2 scale — are distributed at four hours, eight hours and at the end of the ten-hour race.

***NBC Sports’ coverage of Motul Petit Le Mans kicks off on Peacock at 11:40 a.m. EDT before expanding to USA Network at 6:30 p.m. through the finish of the race. Leigh Diffey and Kevin Lee will be joined by Calvin Fish, Townsend Bell, James Hinchcliffe and Brian Till in the booth with Dillon Welch, Hannah Newhouse, Matt Yocum and Georgia Henneberry on pit lane.

***IMSA Radio will have flag-to-flag coverage led by John Hindhaugh, Jeremey Shaw, Shea Adam, Joe Bradley and Nick Damon, meanwhile.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I was just coming to say its about 15 minutes from the start... 11:40am ET.... 2:40am for me down in Melbourne

Im hoping IMSA.TV stream will work ok. It is telling me "Your event is about to begin" so I am hopeful :fingers: :fingers:

Edit: In fact its now telling me stream starts at 11:35 which is just two minutes to go so moment of truth almost here.
Listening to IMSA Radio in the meantime.

They are telling me the sun is coming out..... :thumbsup:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

:twothumbs: Woohoo its working!

https://www.imsa.com/tvlive/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The #8 Tower car had a spin on the warm up lap, looked like it had an issue with the rear end prior. It then did a lot more damage making its way back and 2 minutes in an SC.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Big crash with 4 cars, one of which the #6 Porsche of Tandy got innocently involved in. A bit of a shambles to be honest, and as the G force light went off on the Porsche he had to get out of the car. The car then returned to pitlane of a flatbed.

I have been surprised at how ordinary a lot of the driving standards have been. Heaps of incidents both on track and in pitlane. Very ordinary.
Also the number of penalties dished out.... worse than F1. We are only an hour and a half into the race.

Outright and itsthe two Accuras of Deletraz and Blomqvist leading from the #7 963 of Nasr. Bourdais has led a lot but bad timing in the pitstops and down in 6th.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I'm not that surprised about the driving standards at PLM. It is like that the whole year.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Back to a Cadillac leading again.... That man Dixon again in the #1, with Aitken 2nd in the #31 Caddy.

OK that was last lap .... thy decided to pit, and now the BMW of Van der Linde leads but no doubt when the pit stop cycle goes through it will be Caddy in front with the ttwo Accuras of Deletraz and Blomqvist 3rd and 4th, Campbell 5th in the #7 Porsche, 6th the #25 BMW , 7th the #5 Porsche, followed by Jani in the #59 Porsche and then Wittman in the #24 BMW. 10th we have the first of the LMP2's 5 laps back.

So many FCYs though has been a bit of a disappointment. Mind you Jenson Button and JoNew had a dice for much of their stints which was pretty good. The regular SC interruptions has meant that the first sic are all within 15 seconds or so after just shy of 300 laps. Under 3 hours to go now.

Just getting to dusk now with the headlights on.

Given the short lap (about 1:11 secs for the quick guys,) there is always, unsurprisingly, a problem with traffic .... with over 50 cars starting, and as mentioned by Erwin its probably why we have seen so much contact and thus FCYs. As we go FCY again for a GT car in the kitty litter.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

All 9 remaining GTP cars are still on the same lap with an hour and twenty minutes left. All completed 353 laps at this stage, 60 of those have been SC led.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

An hour left and the first 4 cars covered by 4 seconds.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

As soon as I typed that it all changed.... we have had a clash with the #31 Cadillac in 2nd with the #10 Accura running side by side.... the #31 didnt leave a space on the outside for the #10 which was run off the track and ended up hard in the wall. That one will be looked at for sure. End of Championship hopes for the #10 Accura. Have to say it was a bit of a last lap move by the #10, not really a move to make with an hour and a pitstop to go.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

There will now need to be a bit of barrier repair work so we might not get a restart in the immediate future.... now 45 minutes to run and it will be at least another 10 minutes before we get a restart.

Interestingly not all of the cars have pitted for a late bit of fuel. Are some making a gamble for a long yellow and having enough fuel.

Order is now

1. Van der Zande Cadillac
2. Braun Accura
3. Tincknell Porsche
4. Rockenfeller Porsche
5. Campbell. Porsche
6. Farfus BMW
7. De Phillipi BMW
8. Derani Cadillac

LMP2
9. Hanley LMP2
10. Ramussen LMP2.

LMP3
Fraga

GTD Pro
Juncadella

GTD
Spinelli.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Restart with 30 minutes to go

No action taken for the #31 and #10 incident.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Braun in the #60 Accura takes the lead at the restart and bolts. Did he take on new tyres?

25 minutes to go with this the class battles.