NEW FERRARI MOVIE- Official Trailer released-** Movie In Theaters Christmas 2023**

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

NEW FERRARI MOVIE- Official Trailer released-** Movie In Theaters Christmas 2023**

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I found this today and to be honest I had never even heard of it being in the making. Thought I would share it and open a thread for discussion. As F1 seems not to be the focus I put it in this subforum. I see Patrick Dempssey is in the movie.

The trailer below gives little away and I didnt even notice any words said in it so very much a trailer.

Im sure if it is due out at Christmas and the trailer has only today been released there will be a load more info in due course. Here is the place to add it and discuss thoughts.
It is the summer of 1957. Behind the spectacle of Formula 1, ex-racer Enzo Ferrari is in crisis. Bankruptcy threatens the factory he and his wife, Laura built from nothing ten years earlier. Their volatile marriage has been battered by the loss of their son, Dino a year earlier. Ferrari struggles to acknowledge his son Piero with Lina Lardi. Meanwhile, his drivers' passion to win pushes them to the edge as they launch into the treacherous 1,000-mile race across Italy, the Mille Miglia.

In Theaters Christmas

Directed by Michael Mann
Written by Troy Kennedy Martin
Starring Adam Driver, Penélope Cruz, Shailene Woodley, Sarah Gordon, Gabriel Leone, Jack O'Connell, Patrick Dempsey
Movie makers website: https://neonrated.com/films/ferrari

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

I just heard of this film over the last few days. At first I was very sceptical. However that trailer gave me a little goosebumps there. Michael Mann knows what he's doing so I suspect this may be a rather good film. At least the trailer was excellent! The choice for no voiceover was the right call with only the famous line being delivered by Enzo at the end.
The picture of the real Dino at the mauseleum was also a nice touch.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

XcraigX wrote: 7 months ago I just heard of this film over the last few days. At first I was very sceptical. However that trailer gave me a little goosebumps there. Michael Mann knows what he's doing so I suspect this may be a rather good film. At least the trailer was excellent! The choice for no voiceover was the right call with only the famous line being delivered by Enzo at the end.
I must confess I also saw it through sceptical, indeed probably cynical eyes.... wives, mistresses, illegitimate children, legitimate offspring tragedies, and at some stage I probably even had the no speaking in the trailer down to their embarrassment over dodgy actor accents.

But I am willing to give it a chance especially because it is from a non F1 angle and for that reason perhaps a side of Ferrari I need to know more about. The Mille Miglia of course is one of those most iconic races and again with a history I know. little of beyond the obvious.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 7 months ago
XcraigX wrote: 7 months ago I just heard of this film over the last few days. At first I was very sceptical. However that trailer gave me a little goosebumps there. Michael Mann knows what he's doing so I suspect this may be a rather good film. At least the trailer was excellent! The choice for no voiceover was the right call with only the famous line being delivered by Enzo at the end.
I must confess I also saw it through sceptical, indeed probably cynical eyes.... wives, mistresses, illegitimate children, legitimate offspring tragedies, and at some stage I probably even had the no speaking in the trailer down to their embarrassment over dodgy actor accents.

But I am willing to give it a chance especially because it is from a non F1 angle and for that reason perhaps a side of Ferrari I need to know more about. The Mille Miglia of course is one of those most iconic races and again with a history I know. little of beyond the obvious.
This feels like a Gucci movie knock-off.

Just needs Lady Gaga.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

SBan83 wrote: 7 months ago BBC review - 3/5 stars
Not the sort of reading that would compell me to mark the movie as a "Must see"

MonteCristo wrote: 7 months ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 7 months ago

This feels like a Gucci movie knock-off.

Just needs Lady Gaga.
Now after reading the BBC review, I see the context of that comment. I wasnt even aware of the House of Gucci movie. (Im a movie ignoramus im afraid!)
....Driver played an Italian industrialist with a resentful wife in House of Gucci as recently as 2021, but he does the same thing again in Ferrari, the first film in eight years to be directed by Michael Mann. This time it's Penélope Cruz rather than Lady Gaga who co-stars as his fiery other half, but the two films have much in common....

It also brings some truth to my own cynical comments above regarding possible reasons for silence and potential poor accents
....not least the international cast delivering English dialogue in a variety of Italian accents that probably should have been confined to a Super Mario Bros movie....

Hmmmm. I will still no doubt watch it when it arrives.
It does talk of good bits so it cant all be bad. :fingers: :smiley: I know its a movie and with that comes artistic licence. I just wont watch it as a historicallyy factual reference. It sounds like enough reason to enjoy it for what it is...... Im in. :thumbsup:
To be fair, Troy Kennedy Martin's screenplay, adapted from a biography by Brock Yates, is studded with witty black humour and colourful exchanges. The film looks good, too. Mann has made a handsome period drama in which the screen is always filled with snappily dressed extras, attractive locations, and, inevitably, gleaming red vintage cars. But it feels less like a dynamic true-life thriller than a prestigious, watchable-but-all-too-leisurely television series. The characters drift dully from boardrooms to bedrooms, from banks to barber shops, from churches to racetracks, but Mann never puts his foot on the accelerator. He doesn't build any momentum. Nor does he supply the urgency that comes from knowing why any of it matters

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Hmm, I like Patrick Dempsey more than I like Ferrari if I'm honest ;)
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Motor Sport have come up with a bit of info on the movie today, so knowing not all can access Motorsport Magazine...

It seemed to be well received at the World Premiere in Venice.... apparently a 7 minute standing ovation followed the showing, so that bodes well for those of us that might have looked at it with cynical thoughts (myself included)

Reviews are included and these can only be described as mixed, going from "Oscar" references, (for Penelope Cruz) to excellent, others being more on the average, right through to the fairly unflattering... (pointless culpable horror of it all, relapsing into a stolid, almost joyless determination) and the Times giving it a mere 2/5.

However, even the less favourable reviews speak highly of the racing segments, good attention to detail and it seems the crash sequences were 'breathtaking', if not classy.
Michael Mann's Ferrari film: release date, trailer and reviews

Adam Driver plays Enzo Ferrari in Michael Mann's new film out later this year. see the latest Ferrari movie details including plot, cast and release date, plus a review round-up

Hollywood has given the big-screen treatment to legendary Ferrari moments in recent years — with box office success.

After Rush, which depicted the Lauda vs Hunt battle of 1976, came Le Mans ’66 and Ford’s challenge to the Scuderia’s dominance. Now the spotlight has been turned on the man who started it all.

Directed by Michael Mann and featuring Adam Driver, Ferrari follows the life story of Enzo Ferrari, centred around the tragic running of the 1957 Mille Miglia; won by the Ferrari legend Piero Taruffi, but indelibly scarred by the deaths of nine spectators after a crash involving Alfonso’ De Portago’s Ferrari, which also killed him and navigator Edmund Nelson.

The trailer, set against the blare of V12 engines and with barely any dialogue, has barely any dialogue, sets the tone for what promises to be a dramatic motion picture.

And if expectations weren’t high enough, the premiere showing in Venice got a seven minute standing ovation…

What is the plot of the Ferrari film?
Set in the summer of 1957, Ferrari is in a period of crisis. Following the death of his son Dino, Enzo and his wife Laura are trapped in a volatile marriage, not helped by the presence of his mistress Lina Lardi. At the same time, they are trying to save their glorious car company from extinction as bankruptcy looms. While its F1 ventures remain highly successful, winning the title with Juan Manuel Fangio in ’56, Ferrari faces a tougher challenge in the World Sportscar Championship of ’57, the third round of which is the Mille Miglia.

Piero Taruffi, Peter Collins, Wolfgang von Trips and Alfonso de Portago are chosen to race for the Scuderia, matched up against the mighty Maseratis of Stirling Moss, Jean Behra, Hans Herrmann and Giorgio Scarlatti.

It was to be the final competitive running of the race in this format, over mostly country roads with little safety provisions: Ferrari’s triumph so overshadowed by the tragedy that the race was banned within days.

What is the release date for the Ferrari film?

The film is due to be released on November 30, 2023, following the recent world premiere in Venice. Ferrari will exclusively be playing in cinemas upon its release.

Who’s cast in the Ferrari movie?

After his performance as fashion tycoon Maurizio Gucci in House of Gucci, Adam Driver was selected to play Il Commendatore‘, replacing Christian Bale who dropped out due to health concerns.

Driver partners Penélope Cruz, playing Ferrari’s wife Laura, who helped build the Ferrari empire into what it is today. Patrick Dempsey, Jack O’Connell and Gabriel Leone will also appear as the driving trio of Piero Taruffi, Peter Collins and Alfonso de Portago.

There are roles too for genuine racing drivers. Ben Collins, best-known for his stint at The Stig on Top Gear, depicts Stirling Moss, while sports car racer Marino Franchitti is cast as the unfortunate Eugenio Castellotti.

What is the Mille Miglia?

A staple of Italian motor sport, the Mille Miglia was once in a league of its own when it came to endurance racing. First established in 1927, grand tourers and star drivers from Mercedes, Porsche, Alfa Romeo and Ferrari would race for 1000 miles over two days on mostly unprotected country roads.

Described by Enzo as “the most beautiful race in the world”, it was a crowning moment for many champions and their navigators, including Alberto Ascari and Stirling Moss who sat beside Motor Sport’s very own Denis Jenkinson in 1955.

The original route saw drivers race from Brescia to Rome and back again, in a figure of eight across Italy. Later versions took the form of a clockwise lap around the country, with Brescia still hosting the start and finish.

The event drew more than five million spectators over its two-day running, adding to the risk of the perilously dangerous race. Over its 30-year history, more than 50 people died in crashes related to the Mille Miglia —often on the fastest early sections between Brescia and Ravenna — a 200-mile stretch of road that challenged even the very best drivers.

After the banning of the race in 1957, the Mille Miglia returned as a rally for three years, before it ceased altogether. It was finally revived in 1977 as an historic regularity rally to bring the spectacle of the historic event back, while reducing the danger.

Ferrari film reviews

Although there are still more than two months to go before its release in cinemas, the first Ferrari reviews are in. You’ll also be able to read Motor Sport’s verdict shortly.

Its current score on Rotten Tomatoes is 65%, which places the film in the average band of releases, but there is almost universal praise for the high-paced, powerful and detailed racing sequences, in particular the scenes of monumental crashes.

The Daily Telegraph awarded it four stars out of five, praising the racing scenes for being “as electrifyingly, wind-whippingly real as anything in the genre’s history”, and describing Driver as slipping “naturally into hand-clasping patrician mode”.

Rolling Stone is also wowed by the “spectacular” racing. “With sports car after sports car revving across fields, around mountains, and down city streets lined with onlookers, you’ll wonder how they pulled it off,” it says, also describing a crash that was so “extraordinarily visceral and violent” that it left the theatre in stunned silence. It’s most lavish praise, however, was reserved for Penelope Cruz as Enzo’s downtrodden wife Laura. “An Oscar nod is all but guaranteed,” it says.

Cruz and the crash scenes are favoured by The Guardian, but it only awards three stars out of five, saying: “The film itself does not find a way to absorb the pointless culpable horror of it all, relapsing into a stolid, almost joyless determination.”

It’s a similar verdict from The Times, only with just a two out of five star rating. after criticising the slow plot: “Enzo and co are left treading water, or spinning their wheels, as Laura and Lina vie for their man’s affections… Driver is unable to bring anything unexpected or challenging to this template.”
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... zo-biopic/

If you want to read the specific reviews, some might be be geo or have other restrictions but listed anyway.

The Daily Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/fer ... am-driver/

Rolling Stone: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/ ... 234816111/

The Guardian; https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/a ... dam-driver

The Times: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ferr ... -8d09dbbkw

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 7 months ago Motor Sport have come up with a bit of info on the movie today, so knowing not all can access Motorsport Magazine...

It seemed to be well received at the World Premiere in Venice.... apparently a 7 minute standing ovation followed the showing, so that bodes well for those of us that might have looked at it with cynical thoughts (myself included)

Reviews are included and these can only be described as mixed, going from "Oscar" references, (for Penelope Cruz) to excellent, others being more on the average, right through to the fairly unflattering... (pointless culpable horror of it all, relapsing into a stolid, almost joyless determination) and the Times giving it a mere 2/5.

However, even the less favourable reviews speak highly of the racing segments, good attention to detail and it seems the crash sequences were 'breathtaking', if not classy.
Michael Mann's Ferrari film: release date, trailer and reviews

Adam Driver plays Enzo Ferrari in Michael Mann's new film out later this year. see the latest Ferrari movie details including plot, cast and release date, plus a review round-up

Hollywood has given the big-screen treatment to legendary Ferrari moments in recent years — with box office success.

After Rush, which depicted the Lauda vs Hunt battle of 1976, came Le Mans ’66 and Ford’s challenge to the Scuderia’s dominance. Now the spotlight has been turned on the man who started it all.

Directed by Michael Mann and featuring Adam Driver, Ferrari follows the life story of Enzo Ferrari, centred around the tragic running of the 1957 Mille Miglia; won by the Ferrari legend Piero Taruffi, but indelibly scarred by the deaths of nine spectators after a crash involving Alfonso’ De Portago’s Ferrari, which also killed him and navigator Edmund Nelson.

The trailer, set against the blare of V12 engines and with barely any dialogue, has barely any dialogue, sets the tone for what promises to be a dramatic motion picture.

And if expectations weren’t high enough, the premiere showing in Venice got a seven minute standing ovation…

What is the plot of the Ferrari film?
Set in the summer of 1957, Ferrari is in a period of crisis. Following the death of his son Dino, Enzo and his wife Laura are trapped in a volatile marriage, not helped by the presence of his mistress Lina Lardi. At the same time, they are trying to save their glorious car company from extinction as bankruptcy looms. While its F1 ventures remain highly successful, winning the title with Juan Manuel Fangio in ’56, Ferrari faces a tougher challenge in the World Sportscar Championship of ’57, the third round of which is the Mille Miglia.

Piero Taruffi, Peter Collins, Wolfgang von Trips and Alfonso de Portago are chosen to race for the Scuderia, matched up against the mighty Maseratis of Stirling Moss, Jean Behra, Hans Herrmann and Giorgio Scarlatti.

It was to be the final competitive running of the race in this format, over mostly country roads with little safety provisions: Ferrari’s triumph so overshadowed by the tragedy that the race was banned within days.

What is the release date for the Ferrari film?

The film is due to be released on November 30, 2023, following the recent world premiere in Venice. Ferrari will exclusively be playing in cinemas upon its release.

Who’s cast in the Ferrari movie?

After his performance as fashion tycoon Maurizio Gucci in House of Gucci, Adam Driver was selected to play Il Commendatore‘, replacing Christian Bale who dropped out due to health concerns.

Driver partners Penélope Cruz, playing Ferrari’s wife Laura, who helped build the Ferrari empire into what it is today. Patrick Dempsey, Jack O’Connell and Gabriel Leone will also appear as the driving trio of Piero Taruffi, Peter Collins and Alfonso de Portago.

There are roles too for genuine racing drivers. Ben Collins, best-known for his stint at The Stig on Top Gear, depicts Stirling Moss, while sports car racer Marino Franchitti is cast as the unfortunate Eugenio Castellotti.

What is the Mille Miglia?

A staple of Italian motor sport, the Mille Miglia was once in a league of its own when it came to endurance racing. First established in 1927, grand tourers and star drivers from Mercedes, Porsche, Alfa Romeo and Ferrari would race for 1000 miles over two days on mostly unprotected country roads.

Described by Enzo as “the most beautiful race in the world”, it was a crowning moment for many champions and their navigators, including Alberto Ascari and Stirling Moss who sat beside Motor Sport’s very own Denis Jenkinson in 1955.

The original route saw drivers race from Brescia to Rome and back again, in a figure of eight across Italy. Later versions took the form of a clockwise lap around the country, with Brescia still hosting the start and finish.

The event drew more than five million spectators over its two-day running, adding to the risk of the perilously dangerous race. Over its 30-year history, more than 50 people died in crashes related to the Mille Miglia —often on the fastest early sections between Brescia and Ravenna — a 200-mile stretch of road that challenged even the very best drivers.

After the banning of the race in 1957, the Mille Miglia returned as a rally for three years, before it ceased altogether. It was finally revived in 1977 as an historic regularity rally to bring the spectacle of the historic event back, while reducing the danger.

Ferrari film reviews

Although there are still more than two months to go before its release in cinemas, the first Ferrari reviews are in. You’ll also be able to read Motor Sport’s verdict shortly.

Its current score on Rotten Tomatoes is 65%, which places the film in the average band of releases, but there is almost universal praise for the high-paced, powerful and detailed racing sequences, in particular the scenes of monumental crashes.

The Daily Telegraph awarded it four stars out of five, praising the racing scenes for being “as electrifyingly, wind-whippingly real as anything in the genre’s history”, and describing Driver as slipping “naturally into hand-clasping patrician mode”.

Rolling Stone is also wowed by the “spectacular” racing. “With sports car after sports car revving across fields, around mountains, and down city streets lined with onlookers, you’ll wonder how they pulled it off,” it says, also describing a crash that was so “extraordinarily visceral and violent” that it left the theatre in stunned silence. It’s most lavish praise, however, was reserved for Penelope Cruz as Enzo’s downtrodden wife Laura. “An Oscar nod is all but guaranteed,” it says.

Cruz and the crash scenes are favoured by The Guardian, but it only awards three stars out of five, saying: “The film itself does not find a way to absorb the pointless culpable horror of it all, relapsing into a stolid, almost joyless determination.”

It’s a similar verdict from The Times, only with just a two out of five star rating. after criticising the slow plot: “Enzo and co are left treading water, or spinning their wheels, as Laura and Lina vie for their man’s affections… Driver is unable to bring anything unexpected or challenging to this template.”
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... zo-biopic/

If you want to read the specific reviews, some might be be geo or have other restrictions but listed anyway.

The Daily Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/fer ... am-driver/

Rolling Stone: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/ ... 234816111/

The Guardian; https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/a ... dam-driver

The Times: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ferr ... -8d09dbbkw
Wow, seems like everyone liked the racing scenes. :) That bodes well. As for the non-racing scenes, I think what most of the mainstream would like might not be what I/we like. For example, the hamming it up in Ford vs Ferrari I found cringeworthy, while Steve McQueen's Le Mans more natural, low-key/realistic acting (scriptless as it may have been) was more up my alley. The Motorsport Magazine review will provide the best answer, I suppose, but I think I'll definitely give this a watch regardless.